Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 01:17 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,543,283 times

Advertisements

I've read on here a few times about zoning & building codes, the way i understand it is that if you have say a 200,000 home, then the lot next door someone could put in an old mobile home.

we'll use as just a rough example all this takes place say in the counties of middle to eastern tn,there has to be some type of zoning regulations as to the use of the land & type of structures placed upon the land i would think, such as restricted & non restricted.

another thing of interest is the inspection / building codes, i've read that there are no inspections or codes so basically one could could build anything they basically wanted to regardles of whether the structure was safe or not, or in the case of remodeling doing substandard electrical work, plumbing & such.

so somebody set me straight on this issue in some of the counties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 02:33 PM

2,349 posts, read 10,618,049 times
Default Hamilton County

In Hamilton County I do know that you need a permit for any kind of building/construction that is over $100. Now, that does not mean that everyone gets one, and you are fined if you do not have one on-site. We also have zoning regulations. We have different catagories of zoning r1 r2 r3 and so on but I am not sure if we have cost inclusive regulations. Those you will find in newer neighborhoods that encompass an entire area. I think our zones are limited to single-family, multi family, agriculture, commercial etc... Here you will see an expensive home next to a single-wide trailor.

Speaking of building willy-nilly, I saw a great show on tree houses and they had a guy in Calhoun GA that lived in the wierdest tree house w/pieces of boats, airplanes, etc. I will guess that there are no zones there lol

Old 02-01-2007, 02:43 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,992,828 times
Good point on having a nice house next to a dumpy trailer in NC. My brother in law built his own $300,000 house on a lot, he didn't mind the dumpy trailer next door, unfortunately he built an even bigger house down the road and now can't sell his older house due to the dumpy trailer. His old house has been for sale for over 1 year now, no takers. I told him to take the loss and sell it for what somone is willing to pay, no matter what. Oh well, to each his own, trailers are fine, just don't build a new home next to one, or you'll be sorry

Tony

Old 02-01-2007, 04:15 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Good point on having a nice house next to a dumpy trailer in NC. My brother in law built his own $300,000 house on a lot, he didn't mind the dumpy trailer next door, unfortunately he built an even bigger house down the road and now can't sell his older house due to the dumpy trailer. His old house has been for sale for over 1 year now, no takers. I told him to take the loss and sell it for what somone is willing to pay, no matter what. Oh well, to each his own, trailers are fine, just don't build a new home next to one, or you'll be sorry

Tony
I think it all depends where you are. Some counties have pretty strict zoning codes, others have basic codes, others have no zoning at all. By "basic" I mean they have residential, commercial, agricultural, and industrial/manufacturing zones, but residential zones could have anything from mobile homes to McMansions.

Many people in this part of the world really resent the government telling them what they can or cannot build on their own land, I think that's probably the reason there's not as much strict zoning as there is up north or--gag--in Florida.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:38 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,025,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post

Tony
Don't you want to buy a used mobile home and set it on a property while you build? Maybe your neighbors won't appreciate that?

Old 02-01-2007, 07:04 PM

177 posts, read 895,986 times
Everything everywhere falls under Southern building codes, witch is now international building codes. The problem is no enforcement. Most cities and some counties have enforcement. But still many do not. The state enforces electrical inspection, and everything has to pass. Almost nothing has zoning, except in the cities. Most sub-divisions have there own restrictions as to size, and materials to be used.

Old 02-01-2007, 07:44 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
From what i have seen in East TN, you have to get a permit to do any building additions to your house, but not if you put up a shed or a fence and you don't have to ask anyone to paint your house or use a certain color. Nor are there any other inspections other than electrical and when I replaced my electricity, the inspector was PICKY!, which is a good thing.
There is a huge difference between county and city zones as far as the permits go too. In some counties, you do not need a permit to build onto your house, just the electrical inspection required.

Old 02-02-2007, 01:23 PM

2 posts, read 14,401 times
My wife and I just moved to West Knoxville after being in Hawaii for 2 years, and were amazed at how a really nice house sat next to a tiny shack or trailer, which was next to another mansion! Amused, I guess, was another word.

Old 02-02-2007, 02:22 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,543,283 times
I'm just used to one neighborhood the houses being somewhat similar, then the next being a little different, all with there own differences but still within the same class so to say.

no mobiles allowed but just in certain areas unless grandfathered in, plumbing, electrical, & such all being slightly different as to which city it might be but with really strict codes they have to meet.

you put up a fence, build a shed, well the city has to get in on allmost anything that you want to do, electrical, plumbing well they play the game of if it's not union or one of there buddys that does the job it just may not get passed.

but the restriction thing i still dont get, from my understanding if you buy non restricted well it's pretty much anything goes, you buy a perfect mountain top piece of property the section of land right next to it a guy can come in and start a pig farm.

restricted would be no mobiles but only in certain areas, only residential, only commercial.

but yet it sounds as though in some areas it's not enforced, others it is, weird.

but either way the only way to really judge a place is to actually see it in person, but then time becomes a problem since we only have very little time to actually visit these places to make a really serious decision, so all in all it's a gamble either way you go.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:32 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,384,349 times
Hi, Here in the city of Cookeville Tennessee all buildings must have copper or the new clear plastic tubing for plumbing. This is only for hot and cold pipes. Sewer is plastic plumbing.

John
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee