U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 02:37 PM

1,025 posts, read 2,535,228 times

Advertisements

Hello to anyone that's done any RV living.

We are moving to TN this spring/summer and plan on finding a place to live/buy when we get there. We also have to move out of our home here in WA state 3 months prior to the move due to the house selling. So I'll need temporary housing here as well as there.

The wife came up with the idea of buying a newer used RV and living in that while we wait to leave here and when we get there. I like that idea!! The rent savings here and there can be applied to the cost of the RV and if we have a home built, we can live on the land while the home is being finished. Then I can keep the RV for RV'ing or sell it and get part of our money back.

What do you think? Sound like a plan? As a bonus, I get to buy a new truck as ya gotta have a nice big truck to pull that used RV

My question, how big of an RV do we need to shop for, how old is too old in terms of an RV, where can we park that thing for a few months, how do you get rid of waste (grey wate, black water). And any other finer points of temp RV living.

Total of 3 people and a cocker spaniel dog. (Father, Mother, 14 yo son) I'm sure living that close will get old pretty quick, but I think that the advantages may outweigh the disadvantages.

Advice appreciated.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2007, 03:14 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,534,308 times
Well my husband and i are planning on doing the same thing. We already have a 30' RV we just bought last year. we've always tented so this is our first RV (One thing we learned.. don't spend a fortune on a brand new one, we bought ours new last year and the values on them drop faster than you would think) We also have a 14 year old daughter. It's livable for us for a short time. we've seen RV's that have actually attached screen rooms and even decks to their RV to make it look more like a home and also given more space in the screen room or even enclosed room. We're currently looking for property to buy in TN and plan to live in our RV until we can build our log home. What we've found so far in our search is that there are quite a few developments going in right now (we're looking east of Knoxville) and some of them will allow you to live in your RV on your site while you build. Some have restrictions where you can live in your RV but that your house has to be built within one year and others did not specify how long you have to live in your RV on your lot. Another option is to purchase land outside of a subdivision that has no restrictions and get your utilities in place then you can just take your time.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:05 PM

Thanks for the reply, I'd like to find a good decent used one, I hope that they will be cheaper as well. I haven't made up my mind on fifth wheel or tow behind yet. I like the tow behind, that way I can put a shell on the truck, but I'm not sure if it will make that big of a difference or not.

What size camper trailer would you recommend? What sized truck to pull it? My last truck was an F250 4x4 with V10 and automatic, I'd like to get an F350 this time, but I'm not sure on diesel or Gas. Diesel costs alot more where I'm at, so there is no fuel savings there, and the diesel truck costs alot more to purchase as well.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Tony in WA

Old 02-01-2007, 06:11 PM

Well we have a 30' trailer that we pull with a Toyota Tundra though it's pushing the weight limit there. we had no plans to be taking a camper up mountains and things before we bought it so we'll have to take it slow. My husband suggests theres quite of bit of info on this site

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fu...s/forum/41.cfm

We fit comfortably in our 30' with our daugther and also a small dog. we also have a cap on the back of our truck. I don't know how new you want to buy but the newer 5th wheels are really nice and roomy though you will lose most of the bed of your truck. when we bought our camper, we weren't even in the market of buying one, we actually stopped to look at pop-ups just a step up from a tent and ended up finding the deal on ours. on the towing camper, we had to also purchase towing bars which helps steady it while it's going down the road. that was about $500 for that but made a world of a difference with pulling it my husband said. Hopefully this link will help you. we're pretty new at the RV thing though we enjoy it. Depending on how long you can live in small quarters depends on how long you can make it. I figure i can make it at least 1 year in ours. just gives more motivation to get the house done quicker.

Old 02-06-2007, 03:17 AM

Well I went and bought a tow vehicle today, I traded in the wife's fully loaded 2007 Honda Pilot SUV for a no frills 2006 left over F250 4x4 with V10, talk about two ends of the amenities extreme.

I saved about $8000 with total debt on the F250, going to use that towards a 30' travel trailer that I'm looking for now. Going to try and find a good used one, wish me luck.

Tony

Old 02-06-2007, 06:37 AM

Sounds like your on your way. The new Tundras just came out this week and of course my husband thought about upgrading because of the bigger tow capacity but he didn't like it at all. Yeah it has more power and all but it's plain looking inside he said and it looks like a Ford (obviously he doesn't like Fords) so if we take our camper to the mountains, we'll be sure to map our our route well enough to avoid the big hills out there. Just to give you an idea, we paid $14,000 out the door for ours. Original price was $22,000 but it was a left over from the year before they needed to sell. In fact, we got it at a used price because somebody had stayed in it for one month during Hurricane Katrina so i guess it wasn't new at the time we bougth it but you wouldn't have known someone was in it. It has a queen size bed, bunk beds and decent sized bathroom/shower. Good luck in your search.

Old 02-06-2007, 09:30 AM

43 posts, read 81,071 times
It is a possibility that's what we will do as well. Not quite sure yet. We have a 30 foot motorhome that we drove to Kingsport, Tn last summer.....3 days of driving. Nearly non stop! It was an adventure to say the least! We shall see! Good luck to you! I am sure that you will be able to find a nice used travel trailer for that. Look on craigslist.org! That is where we found our motorhome! Happy Hunting!

Old 02-06-2007, 10:15 AM

630 posts, read 1,669,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Hello to anyone that's done any RV living.

We are moving to TN this spring/summer and plan on finding a place to live/buy when we get there. We also have to move out of our home here in WA state 3 months prior to the move due to the house selling. So I'll need temporary housing here as well as there.

The wife came up with the idea of buying a newer used RV and living in that while we wait to leave here and when we get there. I like that idea!! The rent savings here and there can be applied to the cost of the RV and if we have a home built, we can live on the land while the home is being finished. Then I can keep the RV for RV'ing or sell it and get part of our money back.
Tony,
We knew a Pastor/Evangelist that lived in one of the largest RV's, pulled by a 4 by 4 truck. It had the fold out sides.
He also had three kids, and they all lived in it for a long time.
He traveled all over the United States in that thing. Of course, he homeschooled.
They finally settled down in Florida.
I'm not sure if they still have it though, or if they still travel, but, it was just like a regular house on wheels and really roomy.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Oh yes. the new 5th wheels are really huge especially with the slide outs. my in-laws were shopping around and i went along for the ride with them. i was amazed how roomy they were. Vaulted ceilings and ceiling fans, electric fireplace, 2 refrigerators and so on. they really are beutiful but you sure need the truck to go with it to pull it.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:56 AM

18 posts, read 44,402 times
That is what we plan to to when we get ready to move. We have a 36ft RV now with a tow car. We don't want to jump into anything too soon when we decide to buy a home. We have an 9 year old and our 16 year old will hopefully be going to college when we leave. We also have 2 dogs. One is a 100lb Catahoula and the other is a 45 lb cattle dog. So we don't want to live too long in the RV! We will not be able to move for about 3 years (rats!) but we are planning on a few trips to Southeast TN, around Soddy Daisy and Dunlap and then on to the Tri city areas. Good luck to you and your family on your move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee