Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2007, 07:21 AM

83 posts, read 402,970 times

Advertisements

Hi having gone through some pretty scary weather the past couple days here in Central Florida. I was wondering about your Tornado activity in Tennessee? We are looking at the Knoxville area? Can anyone tell me about your experiences? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2007, 10:11 AM

60 posts, read 308,644 times
You will experience a few tornado warnings here in Tennessee, especially Apriland May. Usually they're just warnings, with no tornado on the ground. We don't have ANYTHING like the thunderstorms in Florida, but occasionally it gets nasty. The good thing is that if you really don't like storms, the terrain allows for many houses to have basements ( good hideout during a tornado!)

Old 02-03-2007, 12:13 PM

92 posts, read 368,042 times
Menglin do you live near the area that got hit by the killer tornado that hit FL Friday? I live in Punta Gorda and had a direct hit by Charley so I know where you are coming from. I also am concerned about the tornados,I find them scarier then hurricanes.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:17 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
Hi having gone through some pretty scary weather the past couple days here in Central Florida. I was wondering about your Tornado activity in Tennessee? We are looking at the Knoxville area? Can anyone tell me about your experiences? Thanks.
Knoxville doesn't receive nearly as many tornadoes as Florida or West Tennessee. But anything could happen. But like KC38506 said, fortunately the terrain here allows for homes with basements in the rare instances where you need to dash for cover.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:40 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,098,829 times
I live in FL just west of those tornados and often did shopping in the same area where they hit. i think we actually had the same storms over us before they turned to tornados 30 minutes after going over us. it was nasty. I used to live in the White mountains of N.H. and because of the high mountain ranges, we didn't experience tornados at all. at least with a hurricane you have time to prepare. i do hear west TN is more prone to them. I'm looking to move to TN as well to get away from this crazy weather in FL. It just gets too close to home when it's just a town over from me.

Old 02-03-2007, 12:49 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,490,633 times
I've done researching into moving into different areas, becuase I really don't want to live in an area that is prone to natural disasters-major chance for earthquake, flood, tornado....and through researching, I pretty much found that EVERYWHERE gets tornados. Even where I lived in Philadelphia. Actually Philadelphia had more tornados than some towns I looked at in Tennessee! So unless you are actually living in tornado valley-I think Knoxville will be OK.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:28 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
I was in Orlando during the February '98 tornadoes, was in Fort Myers during hurricane Charley. I hope that the third time won't be the charm.

Tennessee can get some wild weather. It is a prime spot for getting hot and cold air to hit each other, especially in the spring and fall. I've seen a lot of hail storms, and one really close call with a tornado but I think Knoxville is fairly protected because it is in the valley.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:32 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
menglin,

Do a search of this forum for tornadoes and you will find quite a bit of information, including links to web sites that show where they are most (and least) common.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:01 AM

83 posts, read 402,970 times
Thanks everybody, I know that everywhere is prone to Tornados, I just wanted to reduce my chances of coming in contact with one. LOL I live about 45 minutes south of where those tornados touched down. It was weird we got a lot of rain and wind. If you look at the replay of the line it looks like it breaks just in my area and then reforms and you got that tornado touchdown at 9 something in the morning south of me.

Old 02-04-2007, 09:33 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,629,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by menglin View Post
Thanks everybody, I know that everywhere is prone to Tornados, I just wanted to reduce my chances of coming in contact with one. LOL I live about 45 minutes south of where those tornados touched down. It was weird we got a lot of rain and wind. If you look at the replay of the line it looks like it breaks just in my area and then reforms and you got that tornado touchdown at 9 something in the morning south of me.
Hawaii and Alaska are pretty safe from tornado activity.

But for the lower 48, there is a chance one could get you anywhere. I agree though from what others have said, Knoxville is in the valley and the hills on the east and west side of town tend to disrupt the development of supercell thunderstorms that drop tornadoes. Could still happen, but Knoxville is as safe as TN gets.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee