Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2008, 11:49 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
So what tires are used in TN in the winter, all weather-studs-heavy lug style-or chains?

Maintenance Division - Winter Maintenace - Rest Areas - Tennessee Department of Transportation (http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_Engineer/assistant_engineer_operations/maintenance/WinterMaint.htm - broken link)

I think most just use regular all-weather tires. I cannot recall the last time I ever seen anyone use chains or studded tires, even here in northeast TN. Since snow is not much of an issue these days, its really no concern. Snow is rarely on the ground for a couple of days (if that) and on the roads very little.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2008, 11:55 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,507,453 times
Smile Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee storm View Post
I think most just use regular all-weather tires. I cannot recall the last time I ever seen anyone use chains or studded tires, even here in northeast TN. Since snow is not much of an issue these days, its really no concern. Snow is rarely on the ground for a couple of days (if that) and on the roads very little.
I would say you probably have more problems with " Black Ice" than anything else..... mostly on bridges and shady spots........

Old 03-28-2008, 11:57 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,214,050 times
Yes! You are right. Its usually like when the snow has melted in the day and it refreezes at night. However it seems these days we have little issues with snow. We only seen about 4 inches of snow at my house all winter long and there has not been a 24 hour period with snow on the ground. We have not seen a real good snow in years!

Quote:
I would say you probably have more problems with " Black Ice" than anything else..... mostly on bridges and shady spots........

Old 03-29-2008, 12:04 AM

Smile TN Mud

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennessee storm View Post
Yes! You are right. Its usually like when the snow has melted in the day and it refreezes at night. However it seems these days we have little issues with snow. We only seen about 4 inches of snow at my house all winter long and there has not been a 24 hour period with snow on the ground. We have not seen a real good snow in years!
I know as a child back in the 50's-60's my grand parents had a place on Cherokee Lake near Bean Station and when it snowed and got on that orange mud it was like grease......

Old 03-29-2008, 01:57 AM

2,175 posts, read 9,167,707 times
In northeast Ohio they use a liquid brine solution sometimes. They spray it on the roads about 6 to 12 hours or so before they expect the weather to move in. It soaks into the pavement and isn't thrown off like salt would be and it is supposed to be cheaper than salt. Kinda like a preventive measure instead of after the fact action. Even if it dries any falling moisture will activate it. This next part is going to be hard to believe for some. It was for me when I first heard about it. They have added beet juice to the mix. Beet juice is supposed to lower the freezing point. Salt or just brine isn't as affective if temps get into the low twenties or teens or lower. The beet juice helps take care of that, so they say. The brine mix is used for expected light snow or freezing rain. If a heavy snow is expected, it's just plain old plow and salt. The beet juice is a new thing this winter and everyone thought it was a joke when announced on local TV. But it is a fact that it was used in the Cleveland, Akron area on several occasions. No, it doesn't make your car turn purple. That question was asked several times. The beet juice thing is the truth. I'm not smart enough to make up something like this. What will they think of next?

Old 03-30-2008, 10:29 AM
Eat

303 posts, read 1,141,628 times
Lye is highly corrosive in strong solutions (as in Draino, for example). If it is spilled on the roadway, the hazmat team is called out. It sounds like an odd sort of thing to put down on the highway on purpose.

Old 03-30-2008, 08:17 PM

86 posts, read 302,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tennesseestorm View Post

Is ice an issue in the Tri-Cities area? How often do you have to contend with it? Thanks

Old 03-30-2008, 09:04 PM

1,697 posts, read 6,803,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingToGetOuttaAZ View Post
Is ice an issue in the Tri-Cities area? How often do you have to contend with it? Thanks
Very rarely, if you're talking about the kinds of ice storms that cause power outages & cover the roads...maybe once every 8-10 years. Black ice (http://wvlightning.com/icybridges.shtml - broken link) on bridges & overpasses is an occasional problem, though not really a big deal. And because we get significantly less snow than we used to, snow-on-ice road conditions are also infrequent. Overall, ice is pretty much a non-issue in these parts unless you're driving up into the mountains.

Last edited by kamoshika; 03-30-2008 at 09:23 PM..

Old 03-30-2008, 09:18 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,066,932 times
Quote:
So what tires are used in TN in the winter, all weather-studs-heavy lug style-or chains?

Maintenance Division - Winter Maintenace - Rest Areas - Tennessee Department of Transportation (http://www.tdot.state.tn.us/Chief_Engineer/assistant_engineer_operations/maintenance/WinterMaint.htm - broken link)

In the winter I put on the DEEP lug tires....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3291754-post5.html

Old 03-30-2008, 09:36 PM

Default Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
In the winter I put on the DEEP lug tires....

http://www.city-data.com/forum/3291754-post5.html
Is that the GoodPineYear or GoodSpruceYear........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee