U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2008, 12:57 PM

6,291 posts, read 15,822,862 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
Hurricake Ike issues. The TX refineries have shut down. It's all over the news. It's $3.99 in Maryville right now and in Knoxville although there is one place in Knoxville at $4.50.
Yeah, and all over the Internet too ("Gas Shortage in Tennessee Due to Hurricane Ike").

I haven't heard one person mention any kind of shortage here in Nashville. I didn't look at the prices as I was driving to the office this morning. They probably have risen a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2008, 01:02 PM
Status: "You've grown up really crazy! - Eisley" (set 4 days ago)

21,686 posts, read 32,031,864 times
Well, crap. I only have an eighth of a tank because I didn't want to pay these high prices and I was hoping it would go down.

Sweet crude is about $101 a barrel, right now. At its peak, back in July, it was going for about $143. Although we saw a slight decrease in prices we should have seen much more.

This really ticks me off.

Old 09-12-2008, 01:45 PM

12,733 posts, read 12,016,790 times
What is light sweet crude any way? They got that ole guy from Gallo now tasting the oil?

Old 09-12-2008, 02:12 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
Default This is CRAZY!!

I don't know about other areas of TN but the Tri-Cities seem to be going out of their frickin minds! I left the house at about 10:00 this morning for an 11:00 meeting in Kingsport. Just when I got in the car, Mom called and said "Have you been out today to get gas? All the stations here (Rogersville) have lines out the driveways and 1 has no gas, what is going on?" I said I have no clue, but will call back. Well, I get to where I can see the first gas station. People have stopped IN THE ROAD, blocking it, waiting to pull in. The sign says $3.65 for regular. I went the other direction towards the errand I had to run anyway. I stop at the Food City, they are down to Premium only at $3.77 and limiting to only so much per car and said they are running low on that. I continued on my way and my errands. Noticed the traffic is a bit heavier than normal for an average Friday, kinda like a Friday before a race.
I passed 5 or 6 more gas stations along my way and every one of them have lines out into the roads, prices were climbing it seemed as I got closer and the odd thing is that gas is usually cheaper in Kingsport. The Wal-Mart had no price on their sign and the wait looked to be about an hour to get gas! Again, road into Wal-Mart was backed up. I went around and decided I better find gas as I had not heard anything on the radio as to what was going on and desperately trying to get a hold of anyone in my bio-family who live between Galveston and Huston. As of last night, my mom had yet to get to North Huston where they were all headed. I was thinking "Geesh, if we are running short on gas here, is there gas there for them to get out?" I found a gas station I could safely wait to get gas. $3.96 per gallon I put just over half a tank in and left. Bio-Mom calls, they are find, made it in the middle of the night to North Huston (still not sure if that is far enough away, but we'll see) they made it fine. I told her about what is going on here, she said that all the gas stations along all the evacuation routes are kept full of gas by order of the government to insure people have the fuel to get out of town. She saw gas trucks at most of the stations.
That made me feel better. I am hoping they have just rerouted or stopped the transportation to other areas until after evacuees are out?
Anyway, I get back towards home about 2:00 and that same first gas station now shows $3.97 per gallon! I did not see one gas tanker truck through out my day driving around and I had to go from Kingsport to JC then back to Gray, not one truck at one gas station or on the roads. So you know these gas stations were not getting new gas and to see prices jump so fast is just insane! I did see several gas stations that were empty, no gas left.
My son just got home from school (high) and said there was an announcement today that all students should fill up their gas tanks as the administration heard that gas is due to go up $2.00 per gallon by tomorrow!!!
This is price gouging at it's most disgusting. I hope every station gets fined huge amounts for this.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:32 PM

7,285 posts, read 14,337,377 times
Just found this video about gas prices from a Tri-Cities news station and how it has been unfolding through out the day.
Is It Price Gouging?* Many Questioning Gas Price Spike | TriCities (http://www.tricities.com/tri/news/local/article/breaking_news_panic_at_the_pumps/13867/ - broken link)
This is just nuts!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:36 PM

12,733 posts, read 12,016,790 times
Use Map Quest and "click on gas icon" then enter your town / city and you will see most of the gas stations for gas & diesel......... also click on the " Local Icon" much more about where ever you enter......

Old 09-12-2008, 02:50 PM

Fred just called from down in JMT's neighborhood, Broadway at Oglewood, and the gas is $4.50. He said he's on empty. I told him to buy a couple of gallons and then come home.

I haven't been on Merchant's Drive, but I'm about to go check.

Thanks for that great idea, Tinman.

Old 09-12-2008, 03:39 PM

5,100 posts, read 8,683,170 times
Even though the price of a barrel of oil is down, the prices are sky rocketing and climbing by the minute. This morning coming to work it was $3.41 (Murfreesboro). This afternoon (same station) it's up to $4.09. And the armored car guy that picks up my deposits for the bank is friends with someone that works at a station. They called him and told him to have his wife fill both their vehicles now, as tonight their station is going to $4.62. So at this point, regardless of what a barrel closes at, we're getting killed already.

Funny, I've seen the prices fluctuate here in TN the last couple years every time a hurricane goes through the Gulf. But when I lived on the coast of Florida if the gas stations raised their prices because of that it was called gouging and the state attorneys came down incredibly hard on them - massive fines and charges. I wonder why one state can get away with it and others can't??

I drive almost 100 miles each way per day for work too. Looks like I'll be pulling 4 - 12 hour shifts a week for a while. Ugh!!

Old 09-12-2008, 03:51 PM

5,363 posts, read 7,539,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyMtnGal View Post
There are gas stations out of gas. There was one guy next to me at the gas station and the back of his truck was filled with gas cans and he was filling every single one of them!

I think the state needs to step in and watch the price gouging for sure!
Kentucky did that today. I went for my wife's gourmet breakfast (Egg Mcmuffin) this morning and gas was 3.72.9 at 9:00. Went back downtown around 10:30 and 2 stations were at 3.99.9 and one was at 4.08.9 (forgot to mention I'm in Cadiz, Ky. just up I-24 from Clarksville). Gov. Beshear declared a state of emergency on price gouging today.

KY Governor Beshear Takes Action Against Gas Gouging - NewsChannel 6 WPSD (http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local/story.aspx?content_id=f4a155bf-7fb2-4880-a674-9b3148dd8d80 - broken link)

The odd thing about it is a friend of mine knows a regional manager for a gasoline/convenience market chain in Ky./Tn. He said that most of the gas around here isn't coming from the gulf. Gas in this area is coming from Canada and the north! Figure that one out!

Old 09-12-2008, 04:11 PM

Merchant's Road, on the Cedar Lane side: All of the gas stations are $4.49. That is Pilot, BP, Shell and Citgo. Pilot is the busiest but that is normal. Big tanker had just pulled in when I went by.

Citgo is 100% gasoline, so it is the best buy, but I use that term loosely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee