U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 03:50 AM

636 posts, read 907,561 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
For those who don't like a community where the Bible is appreciated, ... ...move to San Francisco, where like minded people do live.

Amen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2008, 07:02 AM

1,716 posts, read 4,833,202 times
Quote:
For those who don't like a community where the Bible is appreciated, ... ...move to San Francisco, where like minded people do live.
Because we all can't afford to live in NorCal.

Obviously I know this is the Bible Belt, so it's not a surprise to have people hammering their beliefs down my throat. Whatever, people can believe it whatever they want; I really don't care. But that stuff has no places somewhere like school where someone mentioned earlier.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:26 AM

1,113 posts, read 1,642,698 times
Quote:
I didn't say I didn't appreciate them or the Bible. I said I was impressed by them. You don't see that where I live. Maybe it's too hot for them to be about the community or maybe they are just lazy.

Old 09-21-2008, 12:18 PM

1,110 posts, read 1,942,333 times
I've been in Middle TN for a year now and have never been asked 1 time about where I go to church. Since this is the Bible belt, in small towns I would expect it and if you move to a small town, you should expect it as well.

Old 09-21-2008, 02:12 PM

39 posts, read 75,401 times
I have found the parts of TN that I have visited and lived in to have a very "live and let live" attitude.

Of course, there will always be people from any religion, Christian or otherwise who feel they have the right to drive their beliefs and traditions down your throat. Keep in mind these people do not represent 99% of the people in that religion and the best practice I have found is to ignore them. These are the sort of people who are always willing to tell you about their beliefs but wouldn't in a thousand years want to hear about or care about your beliefs.

Thankfully I haven't come across anyone like that here in TN. I am sure they exists, as they exist anywhere with any religion. Again, people with these extremist attitudes are the minority, not the majority and should not be taken seriously whatsoever. Unfortunately because these people are so vocal in many circumstances people outside of religion get the impression that everyone that participates in that religion is like that, which is a shame.

In closing I am sure you will be just as welcome in TN as my family was. Remember though, it is you who must assimilate to the area and not the other way around. It's ok to bring your culture and traditions along but it is key to participate and enjoy TN for what it is, not what you think it should be. This doesn't mean adopting a religion that you don't want to - I certainly haven't, but it does mean being respectful of the culture that has evolved here.

Cheers!

Old 09-21-2008, 04:47 PM

3,537 posts, read 5,117,085 times
I would think than if you move to a small town people would tend to be more in your personal business on most every subject, not just religion-related topics. It is just the culture of a small town.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:46 PM

730 posts, read 1,157,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in TN View Post

But that stuff has no places somewhere like school where someone mentioned earlier.
Why not? If other things some people find objectionable, like birth control (which I figure is a private matter), homosexuality, evolution or how to practice safe sex, can be taught in spite of such objections, why can't that which is important to others also be a part of the school, when not really taught as extensively as the above things?

If we look at what is being pushed on our impressionable children, we can see why good moral teaching has become taboo. The idea is that only one group, those with an agenda that is decidedly immoral or objectionable to many, can decide what is proper to teach. Yikes, look what that has done in the past.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HengyMama View Post
I didn't say I didn't appreciate them or the Bible. I said I was impressed by them. You don't see that where I live. Maybe it's too hot for them to be about the community or maybe they are just lazy.
Hi,

Oops, I wasn't directing that to you in a negative way. I was just using your comment as a springboard to my own. I did not disagree with you or your thoughts at all.

Old 09-21-2008, 06:55 PM

12,543 posts, read 18,435,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarahockedy View Post
My husband and I are looking to move out of NJ. We have teo boys age 9 & 12. They are very active in sports and are in advanced classes in school. We are trying to find a place to live that will give us a family oriented neighborhood that won't break the bank. We are a one income family and having a hard time making it in NJ. We are nervous about uprooting our boys and making a mistake. We are also not very religious. I know that we are looking in the area known as the "Bible Belt". I want to be sure my kids won't have trouble making new friends because of this. I also have fibromyalgia and I think living in a warmer climate be very good for me. I would appreciate any help and advice I can get in making this difficult decision. Thanks
Mod note: Please remember to keep on topic per the OP above.

tara - is this thread helpful to you? It would be beneficial to have some feedback. How else can we help you?

Old 09-21-2008, 06:56 PM

If someone objects to the "Bible Belt" mentality, I would suspect that it would be wise to live very near a bigger city and not in a moral rural area. Then they can enjoy the State without being uncomfortable or making their neighbors uncomfortable. TN has plenty of room, so just be selective in such a way you contribute to the State, not detract from it.

While I am a very religious person, I agree no one should have my beliefs or anyone's pushed down their throat. On the other hand having the Bible as a part of education, even if by inference, is not a bad thing.

Obvious acts of intolerance are wrong regardless of the source. If a religious person is intolerant it is as bad as a non religious person being intolerant.

I would prefer to live in an area where the Bible is respected and discussed as a part of the life of that community. It is much better than an environment where it is not so respected. I have visited and lived in such places and it is NOT good at all.

I look forward to living in TN and am glad it has a deep respect for the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee