U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2008, 06:11 PM

1,113 posts, read 1,590,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leonard View Post
Hi,

Oops, I wasn't directing that to you in a negative way. I was just using your comment as a springboard to my own. I did not disagree with you or your thoughts at all.
That's okay.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2008, 03:50 PM

3 posts, read 7,975 times
Well, this thread has certainly gotten off course! So, I think if you're looking for a family-oriented place, look into Chattanooga. Not sure if you wanted something smaller than that though. All the travel books and "Best Places to Live" listings say Chattanooga is tops for families. As for religion, I agree with the person who wrote that most true Christians (those who actually read the Bible) only want to be friendly and want you to be happy. However, there are some people who call themselves Christians who give those who actually do try to live by the Bible a very bad name. I also agree with whoever said that you are defeating the whole purpose of moving to a peaceful small town in the country if the first thing you do when you get there is try to change everything they do. You won't make any friends or find contentment that way!

Old 09-24-2008, 11:16 AM

1 posts, read 1,656 times
Smile Yes!!!

Hi, I am a New Jersian born and raised never thought I would leave! But my husbands retirement and need to cut expenses in these tuff times made us think about Tennessee. My brother and sister in law have been here for years and we had theability to explore this area prior to moving. I currently live in Athens, we bought a home here last year. County is McMinn on the south eastern end of Tenn. 12 hour drive from NJ. Have only had 1 invitation to a local church otherwise no one has bothered. We have a little over 1 acre of land 3 bedroom house and pay only $286. taxes per year as we are not in the city of Athens. This house would have cost well over 400.00 in NJ. The school system for McMinn county ratings are here: http://www.mcminn.k12.tn.us/system/tcspp.pdf (broken link) I know my neice graduated from McMinn. Before you come please ensure job availability for your husband as like every where else we are slowing down in the job market.

Old 09-25-2008, 07:41 AM

665 posts, read 1,271,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarahockedy View Post
My husband and I are looking to move out of NJ. We have teo boys age 9 & 12. They are very active in sports and are in advanced classes in school. We are trying to find a place to live that will give us a family oriented neighborhood that won't break the bank. We are a one income family and having a hard time making it in NJ. We are nervous about uprooting our boys and making a mistake. We are also not very religious. I know that we are looking in the area known as the "Bible Belt". I want to be sure my kids won't have trouble making new friends because of this. I also have fibromyalgia and I think living in a warmer climate be very good for me. I would appreciate any help and advice I can get in making this difficult decision. Thanks
I moved to East TN a yr ago from Jersey,we also are a one income family , right now. There is alot of towns that you could afford,compared to Jersey!As far as religion,we were asked maybe 2 times, we are also not very religious,we are also Catholic.People in my town have been friendly,and jmo, I don't think your kids would have a problem.The things I had to adjust to from Jersey was, a slower paced life, peolpe I feel are friendlier, and driving around where I am is not like the Indy 500.I will admit it took me time to adjust to a slower life style, but now I am happy I didI love hearing the farm animals instead of the "boom boxes".Where I am there is footbal, and baseball,There is more I am sure! My 4 yr old grandaughter is a cherleader for pee-wee football. I wish you much luck!!!!! Like I said , it took me alittle time to adjust, but I am NOT sorry now!Best of luck in your decision!!!!!

Old 09-25-2008, 02:06 PM

3,537 posts, read 4,943,163 times
Hey former Jersey folks! I am one too. Moved here from Clifton, NJ in 1994. Best move I ever made!

Old 09-25-2008, 07:28 PM

665 posts, read 1,271,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_TN View Post
Hey former Jersey folks! I am one too. Moved here from Clifton, NJ in 1994. Best move I ever made!
I hear ya one this one!Though it took me time to adjust not having to live at warp speed all the timeI lived in Bergen county for a long time, then Ocean county 7 yrs.

Old 09-27-2008, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 25,470 times
Been in Morristown TN since February of this year. We are from a major city in Florida as well. We wanted the big country feel without being too far from the ammenities. Schools are wonderful compared to the overcorwdedness we came from. Sports I think is Tennessees middle name, thus far we have had no problems their. Yes, there may be more churches in TN than people, but religion is not required to shop for groceries. LOL... Those who move here have to adapt to how things are here and not how things are done back home. If you can do that you will be fine. Especially us folks from big cities who thought we were all that. I love the country life and wouldn't go back to the city if you paid me too. Mind you we have a farm, chickens, goats, donkey, mules, ducks, geese, everything but horses.

Property is fairly inexpensive depending on acreage or not, age of home etc. Especially with the market on the fritz you can get a great deal, with sellers sitting and waiting. As a transplant, I think you have to first find a job. Then focus on an area around your employment, for gas is at 3.54-3.79 in East TN, and travel time = travel time. My husband travels an hour to work, this is not an hour in traffic but an hour actually driving (45 miles each way). So take your gas consumption into consideration when house shopping. You will find the right home for you and your family. TN is and has been seeing many outsider move in and you won't be the last family to do it. I wish you luck.

Old 09-29-2008, 04:59 PM

40 posts, read 88,383 times
We were originally from PA, moved to GA, the schools were behind PA, and we always wanted to live in TN so when we started looking to move, the schools played an important roll in our decision. Oak Ridge schools are suppose to be some of the best around, so far we are happy with them.

Old 10-02-2008, 12:26 AM

18 posts, read 42,721 times
no church issue in my opinion. Im from ca originally moved here 6 years ago - love it more and more each year.

top schools = Oak Ridge (2nd in the south), the downside of oak ridge is that is where the country stores it's nuclear arms. Farragut, Karns/Hardinvalley & Maryville.
West Knoxville area (south of I40, west of downtown) is also a great area, slightly more affordable than farragut (depending on the neighborhood).

Old 10-02-2008, 12:29 AM

18 posts, read 42,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmichel View Post
Well, this thread has certainly gotten off course! So, I think if you're looking for a family-oriented place, look into Chattanooga. Not sure if you wanted something smaller than that though. All the travel books and "Best Places to Live" listings say Chattanooga is tops for families. As for religion, I agree with the person who wrote that most true Christians (those who actually read the Bible) only want to be friendly and want you to be happy. However, there are some people who call themselves Christians who give those who actually do try to live by the Bible a very bad name. I also agree with whoever said that you are defeating the whole purpose of moving to a peaceful small town in the country if the first thing you do when you get there is try to change everything they do. You won't make any friends or find contentment that way!

In my opinion, chattanooga is a very nice touristy type place, great to visit with the family, a little too "big city" for me, although I admit I haven't been anywhere but the aquarium and downtown. Awesome aquarium!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee