Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2007, 10:57 PM

4 posts, read 37,108 times

Advertisements

I am a 61 year old woman who was born in Chattanooga but I currently live in the country of Mexico. I am moving back to Tennessee this year and would really love to live in Elizabethton or Jonesboro because it is so beautiful there. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know if there will be anyone my age so how do I find friends for card playing or whatever? I also don't know anything about city services or hospitals, etc. so I welcome any comments. I look forward to hearing from ya'll. Thank you, Bev
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,236,951 times
Hi Beverly,
Both towns you mentioned have great chambers of commerce that will be able to get you a list of organizations and groups in those areas. As far as hospitals and such, check out these boards for Johnson City info, As for both of these towns are on each side of J.C, that is where most folks go for such things. Elizabethton does have a hospital called Sycamore Shoals that is part of the same medical group as the Hospital in J.C.
If you have any other specific questions, please feel free to ask, there are a lot of folks on here that have great information and we all love to share about the towns we love.

Old 02-09-2007, 09:25 AM

13,336 posts, read 39,717,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beverly2007 View Post
I am a 61 year old woman who was born in Chattanooga but I currently live in the country of Mexico. I am moving back to Tennessee this year and would really love to live in Elizabethton or Jonesboro because it is so beautiful there. Does anyone have any advice for me? I don't know if there will be anyone my age so how do I find friends for card playing or whatever? I also don't know anything about city services or hospitals, etc. so I welcome any comments. I look forward to hearing from ya'll. Thank you, Bev
I would imagine there are senior centers that have social activities. I know, 61 isn't exactly "senior" but I'm sure you wouldn't be the only young person there.

Also, churches in this part of the country are a huge part of people's social lives.

You've certainly picked a beautiful part of the country. Good luck!

Old 02-10-2007, 06:09 PM

Default Living in Tennessee

JMT and mbmouse: Thank for your prompt replies and good advice. After much more research I have decided the best place for me is in Elizabethton. The hospital and the bigger population (than Jonesboro) are great selling points, and a friend who lives here in Mexico told me she knows Elizabethton really well and has friends there. Anyone who has information about living there please send me news.
I am getting excited about moving. At first I was a little nervous, but now I can hardly wait. I do have cousins in Chattanooga so if I get lonely I can give them a call. I saw all the pictures on the net of Elizabethton and they are gorgeous! I have really missed the changing seasons. Here it is always sunny, and after years of that it gets really boring.
Thanks again ya'll. Bev

Old 02-18-2007, 12:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,357,867 times
Default Elizabethton & Jonesborough

You can't go wrong with either Elizabethton or Jonesborough. I have lived in both. E'ton has better housing prices. J'boro is rich in Early American history. E'ton is somewhat of a Bluegrass music mecca. Both are next door to Johnson City, one of the best places in the country for medical services. Most of the towns in this area (I live in Kingsport) have websites with lots of info.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Ridgerunner: Since you have lived in both Elizabethton and Jonesboro then you know what the temperatures are in the different seasons. Can you tell me how hot and cold it gets, how much rain there is at different times, and about the little shops on main street? Is there a really good grocery, and what does one do for fun? I guess I am looking for a cute little town with lots of atmosphere. And are there mountain views from E'ton? I have been reading up on the Christmas activities at the Chamber of Commerce website. I love that time of year, and here in Mexico Christmas is celebrated very differently. I am looking forward to the tree lighting in the square. If you can think of anything else interesting I might want to know I would be grateful.
Thanks a bunch. Bev

Old 02-26-2007, 12:06 AM

Beverly, congratulations on your choice of "Betsytown." The town's population is around 14,000. Next door is Johnson City (58,000), and not very far away are Kingsport (44,000) and Bristol TN-VA (42,000 combined). You will be almost completely surrounded by mountains. Average January highs and lows are mid-40s and mid-20s, while July averages are mid-80s and mid-60s. Humidity is high from early June to late August. Tornadoes are unheard of. The last big snowstorm (2 feet) occurred in January, 1998. We had a 2-3 footer in March, 1993. The Covered Bridge Days festival is an annual warm weather event. The Appalachian Trail passes within a few miles. Nearby Watauga Lake is the highest in elevation of all the TVA lakes and is also the cleanest. (And possibly the most scenic.) In case you're into Bluegrass music, a friend of mine has organized an early-May festival a few miles outside town. There are numerous antique malls in Elizabethton and neighboring towns. A large indoor-outdoor flea market is also nearby. Each of the above-mentioned larger towns has an indoor mall. Bristol Motor Speedway, the world's fastest half-mile track is less than 20 miles away and hosts two Nextel Cup races each year. Elizabethton has 5 grocery store chains, but the best produce can be found at Pierce's, a small locally owned business. If you are a civic-minded person, there are plenty of clubs and organizations to join. One of the town's major assets is the library which has a wonderful staff and is part of a regional system. The town is rich in Colonial history with at least one surviving structure and a state park. I hope this has answered most of your questions. No, I don't work for the Chamber of Commerce.(hahaha)

Old 03-12-2007, 02:18 PM

Ridgerunner: Thank you for all the interesting information about living in E'ton. You sound like a exciting travel brochure. And I believe you have answered most of my questions. However, another is: is air conditioning a necessity in E'ton? I rather like the idea of keeping the windows open all summer if the weather is nice and the humidity is low. No chance of that from June til September? Also, how is the drinking water? Does it taste good, or does it have too much calcium in it? We use bottled water here. I'd like to get away from that.
I love shopping (what woman doesn't?) and the flea markets sound like fun. It's been seven years since I have been to a real mall and I am really looking forward to all the different stores. Although there is great shopping here in Mexico there is nothing like southern shopping, and I need a country cottage shopping fix. I am leaving the Mexican influence behind and going country, lol.
And you have no idea how much I've missed downhome southern cooking.
I appreciate your replies. Everyday I feel better about my decision to relocate in E'ton. Bev

Old 03-12-2007, 03:52 PM

Bev: Yeah, it would be tough to go all summer in E'ton without air conditioning, although there are plenty of opportunities to open the windows at night, especially when a cool weather front has passed through. As to the water, I don't recall ever drinking any from a public system anywhere that had a decent taste. Some fortunate people have well or spring water, but for many of us bottled water is a popular choice. As for me, I only drink the water in cola drinks.

Old 07-12-2008, 11:57 PM

1 posts, read 8,099 times
Default Move to Chattanooga, TN and I'll play cards with you!

Hello Beverly,
I love to play cards and have friends who do. Chattanooga is as beautiful as Jonesboro or Elizabethton. I have visited both of those places. I enjoy the Storytelling Festivals in Jonesboro. Anyway, I hope you have a smooth move and manage to find someone to play cards with. By the way, I have almost 60 and a female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee