Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 08:10 PM

157 posts, read 1,093,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmheart View Post
Just wondering, why would you make such a big decision in life at such a young age?

Sorry for the long delay in response, but my computer has been in the shop. Anyway, the reasons I'm moving are these: My job up here is going nowhere, and getting anything else is nigh unto impossible. The economy is horrible, the people are not overly friendly/happy as a rule, I've always wanted to live in TN. I've been going down there on vacations and such since I was a little boy. I have a lot of family in Sparta/Crossville area. I have no girlfriend or other tiedowns, so I decided now is the best time to make such a drastic move.

I'm with the person who said they had no responses when sending out resumes. I haven't heard back from anyone either. Although I believe, from what people are saying, that it should not be toooo difficult to get a job once you are down there. It's kinda risky that way, but it looks like that's what I'll be trying. I'd rather walk into a place and talk to a manager, than sending my resume anyway..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 10:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,734 times
I wanted to say hello to all thats moved from Michigan. I wonder what keeps my sister in Royal Oak? She moved there 13 years ago, and says she'll never move back home. Also,,, get ready for the hot, humid summer! Only in Tennessee u will have to run the ac in the daytime and the heat at night. But i love it!!!

Old 03-09-2007, 04:24 AM

3 posts, read 9,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Welcome to Tennessee! I'm glad you're enjoying the Cookeville area. I have several friends who teach at TTU, and I would move there in a heartbeat if I could teach at TTU what I teach here at U.T. TTU is definitely not a party school (although there's certainly that element) compared to MTSU or U.T.
Thanks, JMT!

Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 56,950 times
Default is this close enough??

I was born and raised in Belleville, lived around a lot of Michigan before moving to south Florida in 1984...we just bought a place in TN this summer....(but can't move up there at this point because of the W word (work)

Old 03-12-2007, 12:50 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,164 times
I'm glad to see so many people moving into TN from MI... but that small voice in the back of my head tells me that too many people moving here with that same mindset : " It's soooo cheeep and stuff!" will ultimately turn TN into either a suburban wasteland similar to any number of northeastern cities, or it'll jack those cheap prices so that the natives can't afford it anymore.
That has already started to happen in Parts of NC. I hope the same doesn't happen in TN as well. Luckily it looks like many people from MI moving here work in factories. So that will hopefully keep the middle class in check. We will see. Personally, I hope the MI economy improves. It'd be good for both states.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,965 times
Don't worry sliverbox,
it's happening all over, not just in Tennessee.
Just go to the main forum and click on just about any state.
It just seems like a lot, because we are all reading it here in the Tennessee forum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I'm glad to see so many people moving into TN from MI... but that small voice in the back of my head tells me that too many people moving here with that same mindset : " It's soooo cheeep and stuff!" will ultimately turn TN into either a suburban wasteland similar to any number of northeastern cities, or it'll jack those cheap prices so that the natives can't afford it anymore.
That has already started to happen in Parts of NC. I hope the same doesn't happen in TN as well. Luckily it looks like many people from MI moving here work in factories. So that will hopefully keep the middle class in check. We will see. Personally, I hope the MI economy improves. It'd be good for both states.

Old 03-12-2007, 01:32 PM

well, I can't help but feel a tad worried. Someday, I might like to move back home. But if it has been ruined either by high prices or urban sprawl,then it would be a shame and I might have to consider somewhere off the radar- like Tulsa OK for example. ( which by the way is actually a very nice place)

What's going on here in lamen's terms is that there are a lot of states that are simply put- outright crappy places to live for the middle class. CA, NY, MA, MI, WA... the list goes on... are basically not great places for middle income families due to expense or the job base that supported them. The middle class has been crumbling since the late 70's. These people are heading to areas that still work for them and the middle class, which unfortunately are areas that were previously ignored- like the entire South.

People also tend to think about different cities and states much like they do fashion. One shift might be Denver after one housing boom, and Dallas another. Now it is the Southeast's turn to be the "hip" place to move to. Hopefully things will turn out well.

I wonder how much longer these areas hold out before they too are yet another middle class casualty. If publications like Forbes and Newsweek keep on touting places like Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta as great places to live... not forever.

Old 03-12-2007, 02:00 PM

We moved from a small town in Idaho, where the cost of living was really great...
What has happened there? Well, everybody, ok, not everybody, but, a lot of people thought... hmmmmmmmm, let's move to Boise, it's a great place to live.
Next thing you know,
Tons of Californians moved in, driving up the real estate.
Idaho is a Right to work state, which means that you have a right to earn "minimum wage."
Well, with a lower cost of living and low wages, what does that do to the economy when a lot of people move in, and buy extravagant houses in cash?
The pay stays the same, the people are the same, but, the cost of living begins to rise.
What does that do to the locals that work at the local A & W.
I'm not knocking Californians either, it just so happened that a lot of the people were coming from there.
My daughter and I flew back to Boise, and oh my goodness, had it changed.
Almost unrecognizable in certain areas.
There is a town called Eagle.
When we were last there, it was this little bitty town, with the smell of thousands of cattle. It had a few little shops.
Well, the secret got out, and it is now yuppyville. No more cows, no more smell, just very overpriced homes.
Such is progress....
yet, I digress...
sorry....

We're moving back home to Tennessee..
I can hardly wait.
I know there are people moving in, I also know that some of those people will quickly become disillusioned and move away.
The south is not everyones cup of tea.
You will be faced with bigotry and racism, and ignorance.
No, not from everyone, but, from some.
It's a slower pace.... and yes, you will learn to
sloooooooooooooowwwwwww down.
There will also be people that think they can move in and change things.
Well, they haven't come up against a southerner before.
Believe me, I'm one of them... and my Mama was one of them, and she was little, but, I would be afraid.... very afraid.... if someone got her mad... all 5 foot of her.

Tennessee will be ok...
and Sliverbox,
don't move to Tulsa.... anywhere but, Tulsa.... LOL...

Quote:
well, I can't help but feel a tad worried. Someday, I might like to move back home. But if it has been ruined either by high prices or urban sprawl,then it would be a shame and I might have to consider somewhere off the radar- like Tulsa OK for example. ( which by the way is actually a very nice place)

What's going on here in lamen's terms is that there are a lot of states that are simply put- outright crappy places to live for the middle class. CA, NY, MA, MI, WA... the list goes on... are basically not great places for middle income families due to expense or the job base that supported them. The middle class has been crumbling since the late 70's. These people are heading to areas that still work for them and the middle class, which unfortunately are areas that were previously ignored- like the entire South.

People also tend to think about different cities and states much like they do fashion. One shift might be Denver after one housing boom, and Dallas another. Now it is the Southeast's turn to be the "hip" place to move to. Hopefully things will turn out well.

I wonder how much longer these areas hold out before they too are yet another middle class casualty. If publications like Forbes and Newsweek keep on touting places like Raleigh, Nashville, and Atlanta as great places to live... not forever.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:14 PM

well TNbound,
I hope for you and me, as fellow southerners that what you say will be true. I don't have anything against Californians either ( heck most aren't from there anyway) but it seems that once they get it in their heads that a certain place is cool, the just flood the place. It's that mindset too that the house is the most important thing in their lives. They come from a place where a home is ridiculously overpriced and therefore precious. Most have no idea that in most places, it's just one of the many facets of living and not something you slave over just to get into. Cities that have been grossly affected by CA transplants: Austin, Boise, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and.... maybe Nashville? hard to tell but I know Brentwood is just full of them.

I hope that the future residents on TN will respect it for what it it- imperfections and all- so that it will be a great place for future generations.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:47 PM

Funny, you got a point there. I happened to live in California for a short time.
I went to Los Angeles Valley College. I rode the bus all over the place, because I didn't want to drive.

I moved from California to Idaho.
Transferred to Boise State University.
I liked it better there.... well, a lot of my relatives that had moved from Tennessee lived in Idaho.
So, we did live in Idaho for a bit... that's where I met my husband, who was from Minnesota, and wanted to get out of Minnesota. (He was also Air Force)
My StepDad was an Air Force pilot from West Virginia, who married that little woman from Nashville.

We moved to a lot of places while growing up.
I'd imagine that there are a lot of Air Force, or even military personnel for that matter that have moved all over the place too.

My Daddy lives in White House. He was also in the Air Force, and did his share of traveling.
I think there are a lot of military families that have been transplanted all over the United States. Some of them retire and go back to their home states, some just stay where they ended up.

I'd venture to guess that a lot of the retirees to Tennessee are ex military personnel.

Let me see all of the places that I have lived...

Tennessee
New York
Florida
Minnesota
Michigan
Indiana
Idaho
Oregon
California
Texas
West Virginia

spent time in Washington, Utah, Pennsylvania, Wyoming, Ohio, Illinois,
New Mexico, and Nevada.

I might have forgotten one... LOL...

There's a little piece of me in a whole lotta places...

I hope you get to move back to Tennessee someday.
Just like the motel commercial says..

We'll leave a light on for you.....

Have a Super day....

Quote:
well TNbound,
I hope for you and me, as fellow southerners that what you say will be true. I don't have anything against Californians either ( heck most aren't from there anyway) but it seems that once they get it in their heads that a certain place is cool, the just flood the place. It's that mindset too that the house is the most important thing in their lives. They come from a place where a home is ridiculously overpriced and therefore precious. Most have no idea that in most places, it's just one of the many facets of living and not something you slave over just to get into. Cities that have been grossly affected by CA transplants: Austin, Boise, Seattle, Dallas, Denver, and.... maybe Nashville? hard to tell but I know Brentwood is just full of them.

I hope that the future residents on TN will respect it for what it it- imperfections and all- so that it will be a great place for future generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee