Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2007, 05:15 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,787,856 times

Advertisements

By the way, everyone keeps mentioning these commercials. I saw one out here in CA about 4 months ago. Had Dolly Parton and Elvis in a red Cadillac. I couldn't help but think what a dumb way to represent the state. Are these new ones all breathy and romantic or something?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2007, 05:31 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
By the way, everyone keeps mentioning these commercials. I saw one out here in CA about 4 months ago. Had Dolly Parton and Elvis in a red Cadillac. I couldn't help but think what a dumb way to represent the state. Are these new ones all breathy and romantic or something?
Actually, I think that ad was pretty clever. As much as people around here would like to think people come to Tennessee for other things, Tennessee really is known for its music. Even when I lived in France almost everyone I met had heard of Tennessee because of Elvis Presley and Dolly Parton. I think it makes sense for the state to capitalize on it.

I remember a few years ago the city of Memphis was hosting a bunch of dignitaries from countries that Memphis had previously honored in its "Memphis in May" celebrations. The city was treating those dignitaries to a tour of the wonderful cultural sites of the city: the Brooks Museum, the Dixon Gallery, the Botanic Garden, etc. But the dignitaries eventually hijacked the bus and demanded to be taken to Graceland.

So, for good or bad, Tennessee is famous for country music and Elvis Presley. sigh

Old 03-12-2007, 05:39 PM

Music and Whiskey are a TN trademark. I recall being in Ireland one time and of course they had to ask us where we were from. USA I said. "sound like you're from TN" was the reply from the Irishman. I couldn't believe it. Anyhow, he knew all about Jack Daniels and Nashville and stuff.

As far as the ad, well the site that goes along with it is actually better. It won a webby awars ( equivalent of grammy for the web) this year. Pretty well done.

Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 PM

323 posts, read 1,131,719 times
I don't think it's fair to hold resentment against Michiganders. We are flocking out of state in droves because the U.S. auto industry is sinking. This is not our faults. From a family that worked in the auto industry (and don't forget lots of people from the Appalachian region moved up here in the 40s and 50s to work) and as educators (also a sinking ship in michigan) I can say that we are just trying our best to survive. People from out-of-state don't have a clue how bad it is in Michigan. I just graduated from Michigan State University with two bachelor's degrees and I can't even find a job as a waitress in a diner. No one is hiring. About 90 percent of my peers from MSU had to go to a different state to find jobs. I am in the same boat. I have to give up looking in Michigan because there's just no opportunities.
That said, Michiganders like Tennessee because it reminds us of northern Michigan, and rural Michigan. Much of Michigan is rural. And not everyone here is a jerk. But the winters are terrible, and with everyone losing their jobs, there are definitely a lot of really depressed people.
I am looking into TN, TX, NC, GA and LA. Most of the younger people I know have moved to the West Coast or the CO. But I prefer the South. Always have. Tennessee is a great place. My parents are stuck in Michigan unable to sell a house that they bought for $300,000, so I am moving on my own.
Michigan's economy will turn around someday. I hope. But until then, please don't fault us (especially us young ones who have no other options) for moving to another state.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:06 PM

electriclady ( love the handle by the way), I don't think anyone in TN is concerned or angry at individual people or groups of people from other states. Not many people I know will say something like: " Boy I can't stand people from Michigan." But to say the least, I think there is a good reason to be concerned if too many from other states move here not because who they are, but what it will do to the landscape and cost of living.

While not the case with MI, many people in other states like WA, OR, AZ,and Florida have encountered problems when people from much pricier states like NY, MA, CA, and so forth move in after selling their little houses for a cool half-million and basically throwing the whole cost of living out of balance. Sort of like a pinball effect. TN doesn't really have this problem, but I can't help but wonder that eventually it will happen.

So for those in MI who need car manufacturing jobs, we have plenty, but mostly foreign brands. I can't blame people from MI who want to move here. It makes perfect sense.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:20 PM

electriclady, I think you are doing the right thing by leaving, and I don't think anyone would fault you for that. Being young, I'm sure you'll have no problems at all blending in wherever you go. I think the only negative things people say about Michiganders have to do with the ones who are retired and who are stuck in their ways (not to suggest that all retirees are stuck in their ways, but you know what I mean). It's those people who give Michiganders or other Northerners bad reputations because they move to the South and then whine that things are so much different from up North.

You, on the other hand, are moving exactly BECAUSE things are different here than they are up North. I have many neighbors here who are from various Northern states, and they absolutely love it here and are eager to assimilate into the Tennessee lifestyle. Contrast that to many of the whiners who leave the North for the sunny pastures of Florida then complain about it when they get there. ("It's too hot" or "It's too humid" or "There are too many bugs" or "There's too much traffic" or "Our taxes are too high" or "We're too far from the grandkids" yadda yadda yadda)

You sound like someone who will move for the right reasons, and I'm confident you'll do well wherever you land.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-14-2007, 04:24 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Okay. I'll change my position. I don't like Michigan retirees.

They moved into Fort Myers, FL after working their entire lives at a union job. Let's face it. A lot of those jobs simply required you to show up everyday and you were guaranteed a great salary and benefits. They sold their homes up north, came down to Florida, bought up the houses, jacked up the prices, took part-time jobs if they were bored, ran people off the road, flipped people the bird and left quarter tips for waiters.

I talked to a man in K-Mart once that was appalled at the service he received in Florida. I told him how much those people were paid. He was stunned! He probably hadn't been paid that kind of money since 1961.

I just don't think they have a clue how tough things are for people now.

And they are just plain mean. They are even mean to each other. I use to watch them ram each other with the shopping carts at WalMart. Unbelievable.

Old 03-14-2007, 07:08 PM

687 posts, read 2,032,367 times
We're still trying. Hubby went down there last week and fell in love. Scouted many of the areas. Did lots of school research as well. Now we are desperately trying to find him a job. LOL

Old 03-14-2007, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
We're still trying. Hubby went down there last week and fell in love. Scouted many of the areas. Did lots of school research as well. Now we are desperately trying to find him a job. LOL
That's great! Where did he go? I hope you and your family can make the move.

Old 03-14-2007, 08:10 PM

458 posts, read 1,271,907 times
Default Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by electric_lady View Post
I don't think it's fair to hold resentment against Michiganders. We are flocking out of state in droves because the U.S. auto industry is sinking. This is not our faults. From a family that worked in the auto industry (and don't forget lots of people from the Appalachian region moved up here in the 40s and 50s to work) and as educators (also a sinking ship in michigan) I can say that we are just trying our best to survive. People from out-of-state don't have a clue how bad it is in Michigan. I just graduated from Michigan State University with two bachelor's degrees and I can't even find a job as a waitress in a diner. No one is hiring. About 90 percent of my peers from MSU had to go to a different state to find jobs. I am in the same boat. I have to give up looking in Michigan because there's just no opportunities.
That said, Michiganders like Tennessee because it reminds us of northern Michigan, and rural Michigan. Much of Michigan is rural. And not everyone here is a jerk. But the winters are terrible, and with everyone losing their jobs, there are definitely a lot of really depressed people.
I am looking into TN, TX, NC, GA and LA. Most of the younger people I know have moved to the West Coast or the CO. But I prefer the South. Always have. Tennessee is a great place. My parents are stuck in Michigan unable to sell a house that they bought for $300,000, so I am moving on my own.
Michigan's economy will turn around someday. I hope. But until then, please don't fault us (especially us young ones who have no other options) for moving to another state.
Thank your electric. I think that was about the best explanation I've heard as I've often wondered why so many of "you" are here in TN. You've made me understand a bit more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee