Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2007, 09:01 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,311,421 times

Advertisements

umm...I think the OP asked about Harriman?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 07:47 PM

75 posts, read 347,637 times
I know this is suppose to be about Harriman, but I have to chime in. Wal-mart is the decline of America. I hope it stays out of Harriman. We are living comfortably, but even when my family lost our home years ago and we lived in a motorhome we still did not shop at walmart. We could find better quality clothes at the thrift stores. And we watched many movies we rented from the library. We even shopped at a Kroger type store. If you buy the store brands and becareful of what you buy you can get by. I guess that a positive for Harriman.
There is a movie I think is called the High Cost of Low Prices, watch it.

Old 04-22-2007, 08:13 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,259,284 times
Yes. If you are truly worried about America, then watch that movie or read that book. Tape "American Idol." Just for one night.

When I first got to Tennessee, I was freezing, and could barely afford to buy clothes. Okay, I could not afford to buy ANY clothes. I went to a Walmart and bought myself a White Stag sweater for $19.99. I was thrilled! White Stag was a respected brand when I was growing up.

I washed it three times and then I realized that there were HUGE holes all over it. No, not from moths. When you looked at it you could see that the knitting was not really knitted. It was just sort of there...Waiting to come out.

So, was it REALLY worth it to buy my clothes there? I went back a few times for clothes, all with disastrous results. I have since learned to buy my clothes, and my family's, at Dillard's clearance. The price is about the same, and the stuff will last forever.

A few months ago, I bought Frye boots for $39.99, that originally retailed for $239.000. Those boots will last me a lifetime. By the way, Frye boots are made in Marlborough, Massachusetts. They always have been.

Short-term gratification will ALMOST never come to a positive result.

When I referenced Florence that worked for the sprinkler company, I was referring to a real event. Snapper lawnmowers pulled out of WalMart, because they saw what they were doing, and they refused to kowtow to them or forsake their workers. They also refused to bring an inferior product to the American public. I believe I first read about it in Newsweek, and then read about it in "The Walmart Effect."

Now, MBMouse is about to come over to my house and smack me in the head. So, yes, I believe that HARRIMAN is a superior town for not knuckling under to Walmart.

Actually, I really believe that it is a matter of time before HARRIMAN comes under Walmart's microscope and then you will be toast. And then the American public will be led like sheep to the slaughter.

Old 04-23-2007, 07:31 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
[sigh....]

Old 05-15-2007, 07:07 AM

5 posts, read 19,138 times
Talking harriman.

i'm from harriman, and i'm 16. its not a terrible place to live.

(just because it's a small town in the south, doesn't mean we're all stupid hicks. we do have the internet. (GASP!))

anyways.

yes it is a small town, and it's a little old. and yes, some parts are trashy and run down, but won't you find that anywhere you go?

harriman high school is the only school in the county to be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools.

that means our school meets certain (high) standards that the other schools do not.

now, i'm not saying the other schools aren't good, because i'm sure they are, in their own way. truth be told, kingston has a better football team. they have for years.

----

harriman does not have much nightlife. at all.

it can get a bit boring, and sometimes you have to get creative.
but i personally like it because it is so quiet.

if i wanted to go out, then i could just drive up to oak ridge and see a movie. or go to knoxville they aren't too far away.

-----

anyways, that's just how i see my hometown.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:23 AM

3,454 posts, read 7,407,212 times
Awesome, thanks! And...just to clarify, I didn't mean to imply that people in Harriman don't have the internet, I was just lamenting the fact that nobody had responded, and was joking that either nobody lives in Harriman, or the people who live there don't have internet.

We visited recently and did like the area, although we wound up finding a piece of property we like in Kingston.

There's a thread on the general Tennessee forum that mentions Woodcutters' Paradise off Blair Road. Are you familiar with the area? We looked at the property and I added my 2 cents but maybe more info could be gotten from someone who's local!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:54 AM

1 posts, read 4,016 times
I would think twice about buying anything around Harriman after that diasaster of a coal sludge spill

Old 01-26-2009, 09:02 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,986,531 times
I don't live in Harriman but I go there about every 4 or 5 months to the car dealer for service. Seems like an okay town. I'm not much of a shopper so I can't speak to that but it's nicely located to many outdoor type of things. Also, Roane State Community College is also in Harriman and I have seen that they hold some open-to-the-public activities at that campus. There is an exposition center with stadium seating at that campus and if I remember correctly, they do something special on campus around Valentine's Day, for the public, related to the holiday.

Here's the info about the expo center:

Henry/Stafford Exposition Center

And here are some 2009 events at the college:

Roane State Community College - Roane State Presents (Theater) - Events

Old 01-27-2009, 10:18 PM

21 posts, read 68,977 times
I know this was orginially posted 2 years ago, but I definitely would not buy property in Harriman or Kingston now since the TVA Ash Spill that happened Dec. 22nd last year. That area will NEVER be the same.

Old 02-12-2009, 09:07 AM

52 posts, read 182,134 times
Harriman TN...

Use to be a big railroad town, but with that field dying down the main city seems a bit empty. Which is sad the buildings and style have so much charm it'd be great to see a more active environment.

Bad news about Harriman 10 PM or so it's a dead city. For the most part.

I like the eateries in Harriman they have a few places (local favorites) that you will have to go to. Mexican El Cantarito's best mexican place I've eaten thus far anywhere in my opinion. I love the atmosphere there and the familiar faces I see each time I'm there. Bob's Burgers have some really good burgers not the typical fast food very dinerish.

Midtown Lanes for bowling.

Beautiful lake spots when the weather is warm great park too.

RSCC where I graduated from is in the middle between harriman and rockwood and they have a great theatre program that puts on 4 shows a year 2 in fall 2 in spring. You will have to support the arts!!!

Very good high school sports in Harriman and in Roane County. Harriman normally has really good basketball and baseball teams, Kingston and Rockwood have some very good Football teams most the time. Kingston has had a solid wrestling team.

Not a ton of variety in shopping (except for food) There's a Kroger's (midtown) a Food City, Save-a-Lot, Wal-mart, Dollar General Market, UGO's Outlet.

I guess to be it's a good family place you get a solid feeling of community. The housing prices are UNBELIEVEABLE too. I debated moving there myself at one point when I thought I might have a job close by. Kingston is close, Rockwood is close, Midtown is in the backyard, Oak Ridge is close, Knoxville (specifically West) is close, Lenoir City isn't too far away either. You can be in Chattanooga within an hour and a half too.

Interstate 40 goes through there as does highways 27 and 61. It's a very good place to live overall if you're not a nightlife bar hopper and don't look for having tons of places to shop and run around right in you're backdoor.

Major drawback: NO MOVIE THEATER IN TOWN!!! Drives me crazy

Yum-yum's has great chinese...you'll like it it's got what you need and what you want isn't far away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee