U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 11:44 AM

31 posts, read 67,206 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,
My husband and I are looking to move to Tennessee in about 3 years, we currently live in Savannah, Georgia. We donít have children (well only four legged ones) so schools donít matter. We both work in the medical field, Iím an ER nurse and heís a CT tech.

What we want is to buy a large amount of land (50-100 acres); Iím a big county girl and gotta have a garden to work in, with chickens, maybe some goats. My husband and I both love to shoot guns and want to be able to go out in our back yard and do just that. We want land that doesnít have a house on it because we plan to build a log cabin in the middle of the woods. We expect to drive for work and thatís not a problem.

Any help or suggestions would greatly appreciated
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 12:01 PM

9,086 posts, read 21,710,479 times
It sounds like you probably won't have problems finding a job, particularly if you don't mind driving a bit to get to a hospital.

The question, then, is what kind of countryside do you like? West Tennessee has gently rolling, small hills. Middle Tennessee has bigger hills. The Cumberland Plateau is fairly flat with a few bumps and several gorges, and East Tennessee is more mountainous.

Do you want to live near a city that has things like movie theaters, nice restaurants, shopping, stuff like that? Would you prefer living in a place with very little snow but steamy hot summers, or would you rather live in a place with colder winters and milder summers?

Give us a little more info on what exactly you're looking for, and I can guarantee you that you'll get several suggestions. We can be pretty chatty in here.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:09 AM

Hi there,

We only need a place like Sam's Club or Costco nearby. A Super Wal-MArt would do for smaller grocery needs. We would prefer it cold in the winter, but weather is not really as big an issue as to what area has the best price on land.
Thanks.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:55 AM

12,543 posts, read 18,428,027 times
Generally speaking I think you should look closely at the Cumberland Plateau area to meet most, if not all, of your needs. Good luck!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:38 AM

13,669 posts, read 7,212,208 times
If y'all had posted earlier, 330 acres just sold a week ago on the plateau for $600k....

Old 10-20-2008, 08:57 PM

4,679 posts, read 5,185,042 times
Nashville would be a good city for you. We have like over 10 major hospitals in the metro area.

I saw 100 acres for sell in Columbia/Mt. Pleasant for $100k.

Old 10-22-2008, 10:39 AM

Thank ya for the advice, now I have another question, a girlfriend of mine said that there is an area where tornadoes hit every year in Tennessee, now I don't know if that's true or not. But I was born in South Carolina and we had them every so often. So I know how they can destroy everything in it's path. So I would like to avoid that area or at least know to have a place with a cellar if I end up there. I've been up Nashville way many times and do like the area. My husband been up that way once and like it too. We haven't seen the plateau area yet but we'll check it out. thanks again for your help

Old 10-24-2008, 02:27 AM

555 posts, read 541,000 times
I'm sure you will have tornadoes anywhere you go in TN. I'm from NW TN and they have a few come through every year. Occasionally people get killed. In 2006 things were really bad and it made national news. Still, don't believe all the hype you hear on the news.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:05 AM

7,285 posts, read 14,328,704 times
The best chance for avoiding tornadoes in TN is in the North Eastern part of the state. I can not recall the exact time length but I think it is something like it has been 50 years since a tornado touched down in this area. Anyone else remember the exact time line?

Old 10-25-2008, 07:55 AM

thanks for the information, I'll keep it in mind and just build a cellar just in case we need it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee