Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 10:05 PM

60 posts, read 343,697 times

Advertisements

I'm moving to Maryville this summer and while I love hiking in the mountains, sometimes there is nothing more enjoyable then taking a drive into the hills and listening to the Stanley Brothers. What are the best "scenic drives" in East Tennessee? I'm in Michigan right now so I can't explore them until this summer. But one drive that looks really cool is the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains into NC and Robbinsville. What are the most scenic stretches of road in East Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2007, 11:10 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
I'm moving to Maryville this summer and while I love hiking in the mountains, sometimes there is nothing more enjoyable then taking a drive into the hills and listening to the Stanley Brothers. What are the best "scenic drives" in East Tennessee? I'm in Michigan right now so I can't explore them until this summer. But one drive that looks really cool is the Cherohala Skyway from Tellico Plains into NC and Robbinsville. What are the most scenic stretches of road in East Tennessee?
I love the same thing, just hopping in my Jeep and exploring the back roads of East Tennessee!

I have a book that's been a great help. It's called "Touring the East Tennessee Backroads" by Carolyn Sakowski. I have absolutely no idea where I got it, but it's good reading and has 13 fun road trips around the mountains. It includes historical information on some of the things you'll see along the way (watermills, old homes, general stores, etc.).

Old 02-14-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I love the same thing, just hopping in my Jeep and exploring the back roads of East Tennessee!

I have a book that's been a great help. It's called "Touring the East Tennessee Backroads" by Carolyn Sakowski. I have absolutely no idea where I got it, but it's good reading and has 13 fun road trips around the mountains. It includes historical information on some of the things you'll see along the way (watermills, old homes, general stores, etc.).
Thanks! Per your suggestion, I just bought it on Amazon.

Old 02-14-2007, 11:34 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,700,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
Thanks! Per your suggestion, I just bought it on Amazon.
Wow, that was quick!! After you get your book, take a look at some of the recommended road trips and ask questions on here, I bet some people in this forum have additional information about places in the book.

Enjoy!

Old 02-15-2007, 09:03 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,231,485 times
It isn't actually IN East TN, but very close. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most beautiful drives in the Country (Well, in my opinion anyway hehehehe) It runs from Western NC all the way through VA, which is the majority of the Appalachian Mountain range, with many stops along the way. It could actually take you many days to travel it all. I have yet to travel all of it and there are many sections that are closed in winter. However if you plan for late spring or summer, it would make a fantastic weekend family trip. You can do sections of it at a time and make them day trips. Driving up to Mount Mitchell just outside Asheville NC is awesome! It is the highest point on the Eastern Coast (I believe).

Old 02-15-2007, 09:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
It isn't actually IN East TN, but very close. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most beautiful drives in the Country (Well, in my opinion anyway hehehehe) It runs from Western NC all the way through VA, which is the majority of the Appalachian Mountain range, with many stops along the way. It could actually take you many days to travel it all. I have yet to travel all of it and there are many sections that are closed in winter. However if you plan for late spring or summer, it would make a fantastic weekend family trip. You can do sections of it at a time and make them day trips. Driving up to Mount Mitchell just outside Asheville NC is awesome! It is the highest point on the Eastern Coast (I believe).
Yes, the Blue Ridge Parkway is beautiful. It connects to Skyline Drive at Waynesboro, Virginia. I'm wondering if there are any non-"official" scenic drives that are beautiful too. Sometimes the random roads on the AAA map with the dots next to them are more beautiful than the offically designated scenic parkways. And then there are beautfiul roads that don't get the little dots.

Old 02-15-2007, 10:51 AM

141 posts, read 978,994 times
Foothills parkway is a beautiful drive, too. But just about my favorite drive in TN is on US 127 north from Crossville into Jamestown and past there up to Pall Mall.

I'm sure there are others, but I am drawing a blank right now.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:28 PM

506 posts, read 1,462,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
It isn't actually IN East TN, but very close. The Blue Ridge Parkway is one of the most beautiful drives in the Country (Well, in my opinion anyway hehehehe) It runs from Western NC all the way through VA, which is the majority of the Appalachian Mountain range, with many stops along the way. It could actually take you many days to travel it all. I have yet to travel all of it and there are many sections that are closed in winter. However if you plan for late spring or summer, it would make a fantastic weekend family trip. You can do sections of it at a time and make them day trips. Driving up to Mount Mitchell just outside Asheville NC is awesome!
Blue Ridge Parkway is really nice. There is another great stretch of road that I've posted on here many times. The drive on I-26 from Asheville to Johnson City, TN is gorgeous (this stretch just opened up a couple years ago I believe). Hardly any traffic, and there is plenty of overlooks - mountain scenery the entire drive.

Quote:
It is the highest point on the Eastern Coast (I believe).
Correct. It beats out Clingman's Dome in TN by about 40 feet.

Old 02-15-2007, 01:09 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,231,485 times
Yes! I drive that road quite often as my boys grandmother lives just west of Asheville. No matter how many times I drive it, the sights just take my breath away! I believe I had posted pictures of that road several months ago on here? I will look for them and repost here so the original poster knows what we are talking about.

Added: Ok I moved those posts with the pictures of some of those drives, including 26, back to the front page. Enjoy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppalachianAngler View Post
Blue Ridge Parkway is really nice. There is another great stretch of road that I've posted on here many times. The drive on I-26 from Asheville to Johnson City, TN is gorgeous (this stretch just opened up a couple years ago I believe). Hardly any traffic, and there is plenty of overlooks - mountain scenery the entire drive.

Correct. It beats out Clingman's Dome in TN by about 40 feet.

Old 02-15-2007, 07:37 PM

1,408 posts, read 5,081,624 times
The drive between Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg and Townsend is great -- especially during the fall colors! Then you can take the tour thru Cades Cove while you're in that area. Then toward Maryville, take the Foothills Pkwy as has been mentioned. It's particularly beautiful in spring or fall.

I agree with JMT who takes his/her jeep over non-tourist roads...we do that all the time and find the most spectacularly beautiful spots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee