Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2007, 02:29 PM

34 posts, read 142,630 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I have lived in Northwestern Ohio since I was 10 years old and quite frankly, I am sick of ice covered streets, muddy rivers, and flat scenery. So, with that said, I have been looking at various places to live and have been focused lately on Maryville, Tennessee. I must admit, I am a huge high school football fan so thats how I found the city in the first place. But, you add in the moderate weather, mountains near by, the ocean within a days drive, and the smaller city size....I can't find many reasons why anyone who loves the outdoors like I do wouldn't love Maryville. Which brings me to my Thread...Please remark on what you have discovered about Maryville, it's crime rates, quality of public education, cost of living, High school football, and whatever else you would like to add. Also, in the near future I have decided to take an extended weekend exploring Maryville. Please comment on where to stay, where to eat, and what to see. I truely appreciate any and all responses.

Cassidy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2007, 03:46 PM

243 posts, read 885,461 times
Talking Maryville

if you go to Moderator cut: PM this info plz, link not allowed then click on neighborhood information and then click on city profile then pull up Tennessee and then pull up maryville you will find great demographics for that city. Infact you can find good demos for any sizable city in any state you want. I checked and Maryville is on the list. It will give you info on schools, crime( it breaks crime into areas such as violent, buglary, rape and so on), air quailty, water shed, climate, snow, rain, population etc. It is a good way of getting info, but it may be a little out dated but not by more then a few years. It will give you some idea to work with.

Old 02-16-2007, 03:56 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,261,228 times
You can also get that info right here on City-Data's main page

Old 02-16-2007, 05:43 PM

Wink First time doing this..

First off, Thanks for the tip. This is the first time i've posted a thread, so please bare with me...After re-reading what I originally posted, I probably should have mentioned that I'm open to checking out other city/towns as well. My only real requirement is that the high school football program is something worth checking out....I guess we all have our hobbies...lol...By the way, I'm a Steelers fan, a Penn State fan, and I definately will become a Volunteer. My wife will be accompanying me on the trip so a nicer hotel recomendation would be greatly appreciated (preferably with a jacuzzi). Also, she is slightly reluctant to relocate so help me sell her on what she has never seen.

Old 02-16-2007, 08:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,261,228 times
ALL of TN high schools (from what I have seen and on the news....yes they have highlights from local high school footballs, and basketball, and softball, teams on the local news channels every Friday if not more often!) are REALLY supportive of their hometown high school football team.
Ok, for all you teachers out there, yes I realize that was about the longest run on sentence in history. LOL!!!!!

Old 02-17-2007, 04:00 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,117,298 times
Naw. That wasn't a run-on sentence. Your fine, MBMOUSE!

Friday night football is HUGE here. It is THE entertainment venue! If that is what you are into, East Tennessee is a great choice.

Old 02-17-2007, 08:35 AM

37,757 posts, read 40,852,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassidy View Post
Hello,

I have lived in Northwestern Ohio since I was 10 years old and quite frankly, I am sick of ice covered streets, muddy rivers, and flat scenery. So, with that said, I have been looking at various places to live and have been focused lately on Maryville, Tennessee. I must admit, I am a huge high school football fan so thats how I found the city in the first place. But, you add in the moderate weather, mountains near by, the ocean within a days drive, and the smaller city size....I can't find many reasons why anyone who loves the outdoors like I do wouldn't love Maryville. Which brings me to my Thread...Please remark on what you have discovered about Maryville, it's crime rates, quality of public education, cost of living, High school football, and whatever else you would like to add. Also, in the near future I have decided to take an extended weekend exploring Maryville. Please comment on where to stay, where to eat, and what to see. I truely appreciate any and all responses.

Cassidy
If you want to know about Maryville and its people, local sports, community events, crime, etc., read the local newspaper online daily. I believe in Maryville that is the Maryville Daily Times. The visit is a good idea, as is statistical information, but the newspaper will also allow you to follow the town current happenings and plans for the future from your current home and give you a good feel for the place.

Old 02-17-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you want to know about Maryville and its people, local sports, community events, crime, etc., read the local newspaper online daily. I believe in Maryville that is the Maryville Daily Times. The visit is a good idea, as is statistical information, but the newspaper will also allow you to follow the town current happenings and plans for the future from your current home and give you a good feel for the place.
Thanks Laura. Actually, I've been doing my homework and already bookmarked the daily times page. You're right, it is an excellent way to gain hometown information.

Old 02-17-2007, 01:37 PM

60 posts, read 344,011 times
I'm moving to Maryville this summer to teach at Maryville College so I've spent a lot of time exploring the community. From what I've discovered, there are four high schools in Blount County: Maryville High School in Maryville city, Alcoa High School, William Blount High School, and Heritage High School. People say all four are good, but Maryville HS is one of the best in the state. The same seems to go for the middle and elementary schools. All Blount County schools are good, especially compared to the rest of the state, where school performance is traditionally uneven. But Maryville city schools generally carry a better academic reputation. As for HS sports, both Maryville HS and Alcoa HS regularly compete for the state football title (they're in different divisions, I think) and they all have very good girls' sports as well. When I visited, I watched an hour-long program on cable about Maryville HS football. I've never seen anything like that before!

Crime is very low - virtually non-existent beyond regular old youthful nuisance crime (vandalism, etc.) that you find in any community. There seems to be a real sense of community too; there is a new Civic Arts Center coming up this summer (funded by Maryville College and the City of Maryville and Alcoa); there's a beautiful new public library; and there's a great park system. Having lived in more community-minded suburbs and in "anything goes" suburbs, I prefer the kind where people are willing to pay a smidgeon more in local taxes to support things that genuinely benefit everybody. I get the picture that Maryville is that kind of community. But if you want the lowest possible property taxes, you can live outside Maryville city and still get the benefits of being near the town!

Old 02-17-2007, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elrod View Post
I'm moving to Maryville this summer to teach at Maryville College so I've spent a lot of time exploring the community. From what I've discovered, there are four high schools in Blount County: Maryville High School in Maryville city, Alcoa High School, William Blount High School, and Heritage High School. People say all four are good, but Maryville HS is one of the best in the state. The same seems to go for the middle and elementary schools. All Blount County schools are good, especially compared to the rest of the state, where school performance is traditionally uneven. But Maryville city schools generally carry a better academic reputation. As for HS sports, both Maryville HS and Alcoa HS regularly compete for the state football title (they're in different divisions, I think) and they all have very good girls' sports as well. When I visited, I watched an hour-long program on cable about Maryville HS football. I've never seen anything like that before!

Crime is very low - virtually non-existent beyond regular old youthful nuisance crime (vandalism, etc.) that you find in any community. There seems to be a real sense of community too; there is a new Civic Arts Center coming up this summer (funded by Maryville College and the City of Maryville and Alcoa); there's a beautiful new public library; and there's a great park system. Having lived in more community-minded suburbs and in "anything goes" suburbs, I prefer the kind where people are willing to pay a smidgeon more in local taxes to support things that genuinely benefit everybody. I get the picture that Maryville is that kind of community. But if you want the lowest possible property taxes, you can live outside Maryville city and still get the benefits of being near the town!
WOW!! That is great information! Thank you so much. My wife and I currently live in a larger city and she (we) really wants that small-town atmosphere. I work in the public sector and she often volunteers for different events that I am attached to so she would love to extend her service to a community that she would feel more of an intimate part of. Thanks again!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee