U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Thread summary:

Moving to Tennessee: great schools, job market, buy a home, health benefits, realtor.

Unread 02-19-2007, 01:51 PM

21 posts, read 64,255 times
Default Tennessee relocation ?

I am planning a trip to Tennessee and would like some info. on the Kodak, Seymour,Dandrige, etc. areas. I am 55 and cannot retire yet, what is the job situation like? Currently I make 24.00 per hr. doing billing work. I dont expect to find this wage but would need an income and health benefits. Is a home feasible with mountains, privacy, in the 170K range ? Or should I search a diff. area. Yes, I am leaving South Florida because of the cost of living, rude horrible people, etc. Are alot of Floridians going there ? That could be bad if its the nasties. I am seeking good clean living and peace and quiet, a porch and 2 dogs.. My significant other is not so gunho on the idea stating he believes we would not be welcomed unless we got into the church thing which I thought was ridiculous. All comments appreciated.

By the way, our mailboxes are stuffed here in Florida by Tennessee developers to come to the great land rush.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 02-19-2007, 02:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 5,139,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemke View Post
I am planning a trip to Tennessee and would like some info. on the Kodak, Seymour,Dandrige, etc. areas. I am 55 and cannot retire yet, what is the job situation like? Currently I make 24.00 per hr. doing billing work. I dont expect to find this wage but would need an income and health benefits. Is a home feasible with mountains, privacy, in the 170K range ? Or should I search a diff. area. Yes, I am leaving South Florida because of the cost of living, rude horrible people, etc. Are alot of Floridians going there ? That could be bad if its the nasties. I am seeking good clean living and peace and quiet, a porch and 2 dogs.. My significant other is not so gunho on the idea stating he believes we would not be welcomed unless we got into the church thing which I thought was ridiculous. All comments appreciated.

By the way, our mailboxes are stuffed here in Florida by Tennessee developers to come to the great land rush.
I'm actually in FL as well and have been looking in these areas for land since October as we want to build. we're going back in March. My husband needs to be close to Knoxville for work which is about 30 - 45 minutes from these areas. If you need a realtor to help you out, PM me and i'll send you the name of the one who has been helping me. she's been really great especially since we're so far away. we were able to map out what we want to look at before we actually get there which is a huge time saver. As far as not being welcomed in TN, well i can say i certainly do not feel welcomed because it is said that FL's are trying to change the way TN's live. They don't realize some of us want to get away from FL lifestyle. You can read these posts and there's always some rude uncalled for comments about FL's moving there and oh yes, the church thing is a big issue but my husband and I don't go to church either as we both were brought up in 2 very different religions and could care less about what religion so and so is. we just don't want to be hounded to attend either. I made a new thread today called "Newcomers to TN" or something like that. Take a peek at that and see what they say about the whole living environment to expect.

Unread 02-19-2007, 03:39 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,203,145 times
I agree with what Danielfort said about the areas you are speaking of but I hope you (both) aren't getting the wrong impression of East TN People.
You both are talking about moving to a part of East TN (Jefferson County) that is 85% (or more) filled with people that have been there for many generations whom believe their religion is the largest part of their life. In Jeff County you primarily have 2 religions, Baptist and Methodist. They love there church life and yes they will invite you. One person (family) will invite you, you can be polite and say "thank you, but I am happy with mine" (even if you don't have one) and that person will accept and respect your answer and not ask you again, however just about every new person you meet will bring this up and invite you. It is part of the Southern Culture. They are not going to not like you or not be nice to you because you said no thanks, but if you get offended over this, maybe you should look to a different county? Yes I did live in Jefferson County when I first moved to TN and I worked there. I did get asked this many, many times while there, a little less when I moved to Greene Co, but still there. Even fewer when I moved to Washington Co. But I will tell you, in both Jefferson Co. and Greene Co. my two children were the only two in the schools (no exaggeration there) that were a different religion than the other students. This came up with them too. We are Catholic. My children have gone with their friends to several Baptist vacation bible schools in the summer, which is a HUGE thing for the kids around here! They LOVE vacation bible school time and the churches plan them so they don't over lap so the same kids can go to several different ones through out the summer.
When you plan to move to rural areas (All of Jefferson County would be considered rural in this respect) this is normal. However if you look closer to Knoxville or Tri-Cities where there are a more diverse group of people and religions yet you can still fine property like you are speaking of and the price, you and your family might be happier.
And just a note, I believe the largest percentages of folks on this board who are trying to help you an explain what you are going to expect when you move here are not native to TN. We have been there, we know where you are coming from and just trying to help. If it comes across a bit blunt sometimes, well, that just means we are becoming true Southerners, because that is one thing for sure! Southerners maybe very polite, but they are also very blunt about what they are passionate about.

Unread 02-19-2007, 04:54 PM

21 posts, read 64,255 times
Blunt is good and thks. for the religion explanation. I have been in Florida 24 years now and no one has ever asked me to go to church except for 2 Jehova Witnesses at my door ( in 24 years ). My BF seems to think that if you dont get into the church thing you will be shunned and people will not accept you.

Unread 02-19-2007, 05:28 PM

7,285 posts, read 13,203,145 times
Not at all! I have never had anyone dislike or exclude me because I turned down an offer to go to a church. My children, yes, but only by other children and hey, at that young age if you wear the wrong color on Mondays you get disliked, but friends two days later! hahahahaah
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee