Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 05:57 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
It is also Oak RIDGE, not OAK Ridge. I just love it, too!
I have 2 DVDs on Oak Ridge and I kept wondering why the town historian, who is the most charming gentleman in a bow tie, kept pronouncing the town's name that way (accent on ridge, not oak). Then I heard others do it, too. I have to practice.

The DVDs (one is during WWII and the other is post WWII to the present) are narrated by the actor David Keith (who is from Knoxville and has a ranch in Tellico Plains according to the IMDb) and has a charming accent all his own. I recently saw him on a rerun of Law & Order: SVU. He's very manly, you know, compared to a lot of other actors these days who look like they went to prep school but are trying to come off like blue collar guys. He went to UT, too.

Speaking of Law & Order, Fred Thompson went to public school in Lawrenceburg, TN and graduated from Memphis State before becoming a US Senator from Tennessee and now Arthur Branch on Law & Order. He doesn't appear as charming as the other two but he's got a great voting record in the Senate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 06:59 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,276,538 times
Laura C: Thanks for my daily dose of humor and I agree with everything. David Keith is definitely cuter than Fred Thompson. However, I think Thompson's acting career is in better shape than Keith's. It's been all downhill for him since, "An Officer and a Gentleman!"

Old 03-20-2007, 01:49 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
in Iowa (right of center below middle), draw a line from that rectangle to the eastern edge of Wisconsin. Visit Pella, Iowa during the Tulip festival and you'll hear why. Don't forget to stop and by some "letters" at Jarsmaa's.

http://www.jaarsmabakery.com/

Walk in there and you'll want to buy at least one of everything. And you'll gain a few pounds. It just doesn't get any better.

Good friends and ex neighbors say "whatnot" as a generic for "everything" or as a throwaway for an indefinite group of things. They are from Wisconsin, eh.

This thread has wandered from TN, but it is a fascinating subject no matter where you live.

Pronounce roof for me. Odds are you say it differently than I do unless you're from around here.
Pella, IA. Home of Pella windows!
Oskie...Home of Chief Mahaska

Old 03-20-2007, 01:51 AM

923 posts, read 3,512,985 times
BTW What kind of Coke do you like... I like Barq's.

Old 03-20-2007, 01:14 PM

665 posts, read 1,925,921 times
Default being called MAM

I remember being in tennesee 2yrs ago and the lovely lady at Parrot jungle answered my questions and replys with "yes,mam, no mam. Being from New Jersey I was not use to that very often. I understood it is manners, But I felt loke "wheres my cane". I will have to get use to that If we can hopefully move tp TN,and realize that it doesnt mean I am an old timer lol....

Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 PM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Laura C: Thanks for my daily dose of humor and I agree with everything. David Keith is definitely cuter than Fred Thompson. However, I think Thompson's acting career is in better shape than Keith's. It's been all downhill for him since, "An Officer and a Gentleman!"
Fred may be our next President. David Keith is a working actor. He's in a lot of stuff.

Old 03-21-2007, 04:27 PM

7,541 posts, read 17,230,694 times
Quote:
BTW What kind of Coke do you like... I like Barq's.
Ah lahk Coke coke. But I can do with me some Mountain Dew too.

God help us if Fred Thompson becomes President!!!

Old 03-22-2007, 10:50 AM

131 posts, read 360,511 times
" You left your socks "in" the floor again" To me, it is "on" the floor, not "in". The other (which I always tease him about) is "Cut that light off (or on)?"

Do you wait "IN" line or "ON" line?

Old 03-22-2007, 05:33 PM

64 posts, read 243,138 times
Do you wait "IN" line or "ON" line?[/quote]

In NY we wait IN line, but our Canadian neighbors wait ON line.

I have a question - what does "Shine" mean? I used to telemarket to Louisiana, and one of the old guys used to say "Hey, Shine, how yer doin?"...wasn't sure if that was an endearment or not!

Old 03-22-2007, 09:39 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,420,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
But, I have heard that Coca Cola tastes different in different regions of the country, that Coca Cola has a different recipe for Classic Coke depending on whether you live in the north, south, west or middle of the country...
Absolutely...I think it has something to do with the water that the local bottlers (used to) add to the syrup shipped from Atlanta. For instance, my North Carolina relatives won't touch Coke, only like Pepsi. And to tell you the truth, Pepsi DOES taste better there than Coke. Some of the worst Coke I ever drank was when we lived in the Atlanta area, home to the stuff. Best-tasting Coke is the fountain variety served at Chick-Fil-A. It's mixed just right! And of course, the perfect way is to drink it out of the 6-ounce returnable bottles.
Canadians (and I hear Mexico) still makes their Coke with real sugar, not high fructose syrup?? Hmm, I'll have to try that. Back when "new Coke" came out, I happened to get my hands on an "old Coke." The old style tasted SO much better, and I believe it was the sugar.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee