Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2007, 09:54 AM

18 posts, read 64,208 times

Advertisements

Are there alot of families that home school in TN. I home school my son right now. We are hoping to move to either east TN or Southeast TN. Not quite sure which area yet. We will travel there a few times before moving to see which area would fit us best. Thank you in advance for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2007, 02:08 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
I am currently researching this for someone else here on the forum, as soon as I find out I will let you know. The short answer is Yes, there are home schooled children here in East TN.

Old 02-21-2007, 02:39 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
Yes, and there are a LOT of resources for them, since there are so many. Most of these activities are sponsored by the Baptist churches.

Old 02-21-2007, 04:24 PM

3,091 posts, read 3,965,668 times
In my research on the web over the last year, I found http://www.mideastthea.com/ - the Mid-East Tennessee Home Education Association. There is a middle Tennessee HEA Yahoo! group that is awesome. Homeschooling is very celebrated in Tennessee, much more than where I am. This site has the homeschooling laws in Tennessee, some umbrella schools, but most importantly, a space at the bottom right where you can click to get all the Tennessee Home School Associations.

Many regards -

Old 02-21-2007, 08:57 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytogo View Post
Are there alot of families that home school in TN. I home school my son right now. We are hoping to move to either east TN or Southeast TN. Not quite sure which area yet. We will travel there a few times before moving to see which area would fit us best. Thank you in advance for any help.
Home schooling is wildly popular in East Tennessee. I taught a group of home schoolers for a couple of years here in Knoxville. Their umbrella organization was a non-denominational church. As hiknapster said, you'll find many churches offer those types of services. And you generally don't have to attend those churches to benefit from their home schooling services.

While in Cookeville this past weekend my friends took me to a store that specializes in school supplies for home schoolers. I'm sure stores like that exist in most larger towns in Tennessee. It was wonderful to see, and there was a bulletin board full of names and phone numbers of people who want to get with other home schooling families and organizations.

Good luck!

Old 02-21-2007, 09:29 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytogo View Post
For a great Tn resource on homeschooling, you can go to:
tnhomeed.com/

I homeschooled two of my kids, the youngest boy from 1st grade on, and the oldest girl when she first started High School.

Old 02-21-2007, 09:46 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Great info all! Thanks for posting

Old 02-22-2007, 08:49 AM

18 posts, read 64,208 times
Thank you all so much! This is such a great forum, full of information. I am looking forward to the day we can move to TN. Again, I thank you all for the great information!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee