Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-23-2007, 02:17 PM

48 posts, read 184,196 times

Advertisements

I have been checking as much as possible both Maryville and Greeneville. Do any of you long time Tennesseans have any information that would help me choose one over the other?

As I have said in other threads, it will be my daughter (15 yrs. old) and myself. We need a safe, friendly place, probably a smaller town with good churches. She is homeschooled and I am not looking for a job so those 2 things aren't a worry for me. We would love to be near the mountains and love beautiful scenery.

While visiting Tennessee twice 12 and 13 years ago, we stayed in Fall Creek Falls and Gatlinburg. I do want to live in North East Tennessee, but am having a hard time deciding which of the 2 cities I mentioned would be best for us. Please help me. I don't have the money and help to take extra trips down there. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2007, 06:05 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyLiz View Post
I have been checking as much as possible both Maryville and Greeneville. Do any of you long time Tennesseans have any information that would help me choose one over the other?

As I have said in other threads, it will be my daughter (15 yrs. old) and myself. We need a safe, friendly place, probably a smaller town with good churches. She is homeschooled and I am not looking for a job so those 2 things aren't a worry for me. We would love to be near the mountains and love beautiful scenery.

While visiting Tennessee twice 12 and 13 years ago, we stayed in Fall Creek Falls and Gatlinburg. I do want to live in North East Tennessee, but am having a hard time deciding which of the 2 cities I mentioned would be best for us. Please help me. I don't have the money and help to take extra trips down there. Thanks!
Maryville isn't in the northern part of East TN. It's south of Knoxville. Maybe that's why people haven't answered. They're confused. Also, people don't know what, besides beautiful scenery and church, is important to you.

Old 02-24-2007, 01:16 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
I grew in Greeneville and it is an enjoyable small town. I don't really know much about Maryville, so I can't comment, but I have heard good things about it. As Laura pointed out, Marvyille isn't northeast TN, Greeneville is. Greeneville is about 1 hour Northeast of Maryville.

What else is important? Do you need to be by a big city? Greeneville is close to Johnson City (25 minutes) which is growing a lot (I think it is a little over 55,000), but Maryville is close to Knoxville which obviously is a lot bigger than Johnson City and will give you a lot more options.

Both Greeneville and Maryville have beautiful scenery. Greeneville is very safe, but again I don't know about it compared to Maryville so I don't know if the rates are better/worse. All I can tell you is that Greeneville was a great town to grow up in, and a great place to raise a family with plenty of good churches. The folks there are very friendly, but it may be hard for your daughter to make new friends there if she is homeschooled. It is a small town and most people have lived there their whole lives.

Good luck in whatever you choose!

Last edited by AppalachianAngler; 02-24-2007 at 01:17 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 02-24-2007, 02:37 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
I agree with AppalachianAngler, Greeneville is a really nice town. I like Maryville, too, but if you don't need to worry about jobs and if you want someplace that's relatively quiet, Greeneville would be hard to beat. It's got a fantastic, historic downtown, it's close to the mountains, and the countryside is absolutely gorgeous. The Maryville area is also beautiful, but it's much more urban; the Knoxville airport is right on the outskirts of Maryville as well as the gigantic Alcoa aluminum factory. Traffic in Maryville can be more intense than in Greeneville.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Greeneville. But I also would not be disappointed if I had to live in Maryville.

Old 02-25-2007, 07:34 PM

5,985 posts, read 4,376,856 times
Default Maryville or Greeneville

I vote for Greeneville, but Maryville isn't bad either.

Old 02-26-2007, 12:35 PM

48 posts, read 184,196 times
Thanks guys! I think Johnson City is probably big enough to get what we need but cannot get in Greeneville itself. A 25 minute drive doesn't bother me after living in California for 4 years.

Church is very important to us so I hope I can find a good Baptist church in Greenville or even drive to Johnson City if necessary. Middle Tennessee Baptist in Murfreesboro is where we would love to attend, but I don't think we'd like living there from what I've read - NE Tennessee sounds much more our style. thanks for all the input! Lily

Old 02-26-2007, 01:32 PM

506 posts, read 1,474,414 times
You are in luck if you are Baptist.The big one is First Baptist Church of Greeneville, which is located downtown across from the library. I'm not Baptist but a lot of my friends are and have been lifelong members of this church and love it. There is also Tusculum Baptist Church right on the campus of Tusculum College, Towering Oaks, and who knows how many other smaller ones.

Also, as JMT pointed out, Maryville has a much more urban feel. Greeneville is more of a laid back, slow paced atmosphere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee