U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 07:53 AM

13 posts, read 28,248 times
Default Lexington Tennessee Area

Hi, I would love some input on the middle or western tennessee area. Lexington is as far west as I would consider relocating. How are the schools, what are the people like (friendly, not so friendly,etc), hows the weather, humidity, houses, food, I think that about covers it. Is Perry County considered in the foothills? Are there decent neighborhoods? How's the fishing? My husband and I would prefer to at least have some rolling hills if possible, but they would need to be close to this area for a daily commute to work.

Thank you for your input. I wouldn't mind living in a small town, as long as I had access to cities in the area, an hour drive is fine. Is this considered a good place to raise kids? I have girls and I wouldn't mind raising a country girl, they can't be any worse than a florida girl, lol. It would be nice to have a backyard bigger than a postage stamp!
Thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2008, 05:36 PM
kbg

224 posts, read 60,270 times
Lexington would'nt be the first choice IMO, but the Perry Co. area is good on either side of the river. There is plenty of wide open spaces in and around this area including Decatur Co. but both are fairly rural but I've never heard anything negative about the school systems unlike Henderson Co. The Tenn. river splits west Tn. from the middle Tn. highland rim all the way to the central basin which Nashville sits in. The fishing is great all around and the weather is "like a box of chocolates - you never know what you'll get" around here we always say if you do not like the weather - just stick around because it's about change!

Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 PM

Thanks for the info kbg, I have heard that saying about the weather up there. I would love to live in an area with four seasons again and change is good! I'm used to extremely hot and humid with a week of cold and humid mixed in. The humid summers in tennessee can't be worse than summers in florida, can they?

Old 12-05-2008, 06:03 PM

849 posts, read 1,411,722 times
Hello, where in FL do you live now? If you don't mind me asking.

Old 12-06-2008, 01:01 AM

77 posts, read 189,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridam0m2 View Post
The humid summers in tennessee can't be worse than summers in florida, can they?
You'd be surprised! It will rival Florida a few days out of the summer. But hotter than Florida? Probably not.

As far as Lexington goes, I really like that town. Where I go to school at now is not far at all from it. Lexington has one of the top elementary schools in the state (Caewood Elementary), and the overall school system is good down there. They've also got a school called "Beaver School", which I always thought was funny.

Let's see...they have a wonderful park there (Natchez Trace National Park), lots of food choices (there's a particular Mexican place called Atzimba that I just love), and some odd restaurants, like the Greek place that I can't think of the name of. They have a nice sized Wal-Mart and it's overall a very well functioning town!

EDIT: Oh, and gas always seems several cents cheaper there too. I always fill up in Lexington before heading home.

Old 12-07-2008, 08:47 PM

Freelander, thanks for the info. I have found surprising little about the area online, esp a little east of Lexington. Great news about the gas as well. I'm assuming you live in Jackson since there are a few colleges there? We would looked at the jackson area online and decided to go 20-30 miles east hoping the terrain wouldn't be as flat. We liked the Parsons or Perryville area based on the proximity to Lexington and the elevation, but I have found very little info online.

FL to Niota, I live in the St Augustine area. It's beautiful, however we have 2 seasons. Extremely hot and hot. Actually this year has been great, we are getting some cool weather early this year, I love it. The beach is great, however I miss the four seasons, hiking, bonfires, and in general being outdoors. From May to Sept I can't take my kids to the park from 9AM to 6PM bc most of the parks in my area are not shaded and the slides are to hot for my kids. We try to go to the beach in the morning, but after that we're indoors most of the day. Right now we spend a lot of time outside bc the weather is mild, but the state parks are completely different down here and everything is flat, last state park we went to there was a water moccasin in the stream we were walking by and the palmettos are so close to the path you worry about your kids running around. I'm not complaining, I just think we could have an overall better quality of life in Tn. When you consider the cost of houses, lot size, outdoor activities and weather it sounds appealing.

Old 12-07-2008, 10:01 PM

77 posts, read 189,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridam0m2 View Post
Freelander, thanks for the info. I have found surprising little about the area online, esp a little east of Lexington. Great news about the gas as well. I'm assuming you live in Jackson since there are a few colleges there? We would looked at the jackson area online and decided to go 20-30 miles east hoping the terrain wouldn't be as flat. We liked the Parsons or Perryville area based on the proximity to Lexington and the elevation, but I have found very little info online.

FL to Niota, I live in the St Augustine area. It's beautiful, however we have 2 seasons. Extremely hot and hot. Actually this year has been great, we are getting some cool weather early this year, I love it. The beach is great, however I miss the four seasons, hiking, bonfires, and in general being outdoors. From May to Sept I can't take my kids to the park from 9AM to 6PM bc most of the parks in my area are not shaded and the slides are to hot for my kids. We try to go to the beach in the morning, but after that we're indoors most of the day. Right now we spend a lot of time outside bc the weather is mild, but the state parks are completely different down here and everything is flat, last state park we went to there was a water moccasin in the stream we were walking by and the palmettos are so close to the path you worry about your kids running around. I'm not complaining, I just think we could have an overall better quality of life in Tn. When you consider the cost of houses, lot size, outdoor activities and weather it sounds appealing.
Well we may be switching spots then. My girlfriend lives in Florida (Mt. Dora), and there's a good chance (after we're married) that we'll both end up living there. I've spent quite a bit of time in Florida over the past 2 years or so, while I've been with her. It can get deadly hot in the summer, I do know that. I went there during March of this year, and the weather was pretty much perfect. It wasn't too hot yet. Of course, I'm a cold weather guy anyway, so it was still too hot for me, BUT it wasn't as bad as it could be. I'm actually flying down there on the 15th of December, I'm anxious to see what a Florida December feels like.

And I actually go to school in Henderson, at a little private school called Freed-Hardeman University

Old 12-31-2008, 01:50 AM

3 posts, read 7,227 times
Well I Live Not Far From Lexington But It Has Friendly People .

Old 01-30-2010, 10:29 PM

3 posts, read 7,472 times
i live and grew up in lexington, tn. it's right in between memphis and nashville, and 30 minutes away from jackson. it's pretty small, and has small town drama. only one high school and one city school, but there are 5 or 6 surrounding county schools. (but you'd rather put your kid in the city school...trust me). there's a community college. there are plenty of rolling hills. i live in a neighborhood called hidden hills, actually. if you want rolling hills, you'll get them in lexington. definitely. the weather is... unpredictable at times. usually it all goes above us or below us. (as far as snow and rain is concerned) it rains a lot. the humidity is bad in the summer. the summers are HOT and the winters are COLD. it snows about once or twice a year. you usually get at least one good snow. tornadoes are pretty bad during the spring. most neighborhoods are nice, but you've still got the... not so nice ones around the south side of town. there's no mall or major shopping centers in lex, but there is in jackson (30 min. away). no clubs. it's a dry county. there's one tattoo shop that just opened... one county hospital. one post office. it has a nice park called Guy B. Amis park. 7 lakes in henderson county. most of those are not ten minutes away from lexington. beech lake is in the middle of lexington. the river is 30 minutes away in perry county. plenty of ponds and such... there's only one theater, and it only has one screen. there's only one grocery store besides wal-mart. we did have a bowling alley but it shut down.. since lexington is lacking in entertainment, most people just drive to jackson. parsons is boring and small. only one stoplight. no wal-mart, etc... jackson is a pretty big city. not as big as nashville or memphis, but it's still much bigger than lexington. there are more schools, three colleges, clubs, a mall, etc. jackson does have a pretty flat terrain. but lexington is all hills, let me tell ya.

Last edited by brittneybohemian; 01-30-2010 at 10:40 PM..

Old 02-02-2010, 10:37 AM

4,925 posts, read 6,088,331 times
Gorgeous area, I like it very well. I know you didn't ask, so I'm guessing it isn't a problem for you, but the employment picture in Perry county isn't pretty...one of the highest unemployment rates in the state and it isn't new. It has been that way for years and years now. Jobs are just about non-existent.

Very rural, wooded, hilly. Nice area if you like the outdoors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee