Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 03:04 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,770 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I went to the store. I have bread! I have bread!

And I'm not sharing. It's every man for himself when it comes to white bread. You people who didn't get to the store in time can just eat your bologna sandwiches on crackers! I'm barricading the door to keep the hordes of breadless people out.

Oh, wait . . . I forgot crackers, and I wanted chili for dinner. Uh, would any of you be willing to share?
You're funny Alleycat. I haven't seen this behavior yet. Oh it gets busy, but everyone seems rather tame to me.

P.S. No crackers for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 03:17 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,210,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
You're funny Alleycat. I haven't seen this behavior yet. Oh it gets busy, but everyone seems rather tame to me.

P.S. No crackers for you!
Wait until the TV weather people whips them up into a frenzied mob in search of toilet tissue and cold cuts!

Old 12-15-2008, 03:20 PM

764 posts, read 2,548,805 times
Well, I'm not running out to Publix. I'm stil welll stocked up on bread and milk from my run after last Thursday's 'snowstorm' threat!

Old 12-15-2008, 05:13 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,938,234 times
Does the ice & freezing rain happen much there? Do they put anything on the roads to prevent sliding? Just wondering, because I'm thinking about moving there!

Old 12-15-2008, 06:04 PM

1,109 posts, read 2,959,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
Does the ice & freezing rain happen much there? Do they put anything on the roads to prevent sliding? Just wondering, because I'm thinking about moving there!
They usually brine the roads when there is a threat. At least they did last year. This past snow and ice we just had, I didn't see the trucks out. I thought it was strange they didn't do it.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bufford View Post
It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it can be a mess because it's not just ice on the roads, but ice on the power lines and everything else. It seems like we get a major ice storm about once every ten years.

Many of the county highway departments use both salt and a brine solution on the roads, a few don't. The trouble is it can be tricky to judge exactly when to start applying the brine when it's rain turning to freezing rain. They have to wait until it actually turns from rain to ice, or else the stuff will just wash off.

Old 12-15-2008, 06:41 PM

So far, so good out in my area in west Nashville. I think the roads had a chance to dry off, and they're run the brine trucks on the main roads. Traffic is normal in my area.

Old 12-15-2008, 08:48 PM

235 posts, read 774,076 times
A.C. I thought that we had all the locos down here yaw should've seen all the ppl running to wallyworld, toget stuff!! Yaw probable get more than we get down here (that would be snow) I hope not ice,for ur sake!! Ice s*O*s. Yaw just think that snow?ice treat is bad ,be down here when the theat of a hurricane comes GEES were 2 1/2,to3 hrs from the coast ud think we were at the waters edge,this the same as last week we got snow.
Ppl acted like they where going to be snowed in for aweek!!GEES it melted the same day!!

Antway yaw crack me up!!

Old 12-15-2008, 09:39 PM

7,305 posts, read 28,223,011 times
Nothing but rain here in extreme northeast Tennessee and according to the forecast, the cold air is not forecasted to move this far east. Its supposed to be in the 50s and 60s here all week.

It was 70° at my house today and 67° @ the airport.

Currently at 11:30pm (EST), its raining and 56°, but only about 200 miles to our west, its in the 30s!

You all out west in the ice and snow be careful!

Old 12-15-2008, 11:51 PM

24,767 posts, read 28,517,399 times
Cool Brine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim918 View Post
They usually brine the roads when there is a threat. At least they did last year. This past snow and ice we just had, I didn't see the trucks out. I thought it was strange they didn't do it.
When they brine the road.... that must really mess up the finish on the car..I remember rock salt from years living up north, "BUT" brine....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee