Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 05:59 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
"we're in no hurry to move but are purchasing land now before the prices skyrocket. "

Please don't let this be the reason you buy land now. If you read the results of monthly housing reports, you'll see that TN right along with most other states are actually having a decline in sales. In fact, TN is 11th in the country for having the most foreclosures. That should say something right there. In fact, did you know that in Memphis, there were 19,738 homes sold in 2006, and there were 18,155 residential foreclosures last year? That is A LOT.

I think what many people here are totally forgetting is that the US has just gotten through the biggest housing bubble in it's history. The prices everywhere are totally out of whack with economics. It is only natural that people are shell shocked and having a knee-jerk reaction from more expensive states to buy up land like crazy in cheaper ones. But the bottom line is that the housing bubble has now burst from an unnaturally freakish level. Heck- Florida is already having some areas with 100k cuts on the prices.

In my opinion, anyone buying right now will more than likely be paying more than the land will be worth in a few years, even if the land is seemingly cheap. Just keep an eye on the prices and buy when you really need to, not because you think it will go up. Remember- TN is not FL or CA. Don't expect a massive rush from buyers like happened in FL. The speculative element is now gone.

Sorry to sound nasty. Just trying to throw in a word off caution.
No you don't sound nasty. you got a point but then again now is the time we can afford our mortgage and a land payment. we're not looking for huge acres, just 1 or 2 acres maybe something we can park our camper on. Our home will be paid for by the time we're ready to move in a few years so that will also pay off our land. we're in a unique situation compared to others who are drowning with the high cost of living in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM

23,011 posts, read 34,370,036 times
For years we thought we would move to North Carolina, but since doing research on here and finding out about taxes it seem Tenn would be the next best thing.
We both love the mountains and want cooler weather, we hate living in Houston.
Western N.C. is too expensive, eastern Tenn has the mountains and cooler weather and cheaper houses.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:07 PM

64 posts, read 243,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
Besides the lifestyle.
Were you influenced at all by the retirees coming here?

Nope. Are there a lot of retirees there?

I've been a small business owner for 9 years in a tough economy, in the highest overall taxed county in the entire country. The reason I stayed here so long is so my son could grow up near his Dad. Now that he's old enough for college, I'm going to move to the place that feels right for me.

I guess you'd get as many different answers to your question as there are people on this forum. We're all looking for different things, but everyone just wants to feel at home.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:11 PM

630 posts, read 2,431,494 times
and what has brought you to Tennessee?

Quote:
"we're in no hurry to move but are purchasing land now before the prices skyrocket. "

Please don't let this be the reason you buy land now. If you read the results of monthly housing reports, you'll see that TN right along with most other states are actually having a decline in sales. In fact, TN is 11th in the country for having the most foreclosures. That should say something right there. In fact, did you know that in Memphis, there were 19,738 homes sold in 2006, and there were 18,155 residential foreclosures last year? That is A LOT.

I think what many people here are totally forgetting is that the US has just gotten through the biggest housing bubble in it's history. The prices everywhere are totally out of whack with economics. It is only natural that people are shell shocked and having a knee-jerk reaction from more expensive states to buy up land like crazy in cheaper ones. But the bottom line is that the housing bubble has now burst from an unnaturally freakish level. Heck- Florida is already having some areas with 100k cuts on the prices.

In my opinion, anyone buying right now will more than likely be paying more than the land will be worth in a few years, even if the land is seemingly cheap. Just keep an eye on the prices and buy when you really need to, not because you think it will go up. Remember- TN is not FL or CA. Don't expect a massive rush from buyers like happened in FL. The speculative element is now gone.

Old 03-02-2007, 08:15 PM

You know, that's a totally unique way to find where you'd like to live.
So, have you decided on which area within that triangle yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALML View Post
When my husband had bypass surgery, it suddenly occurred to me how REALLY far we were away from our families AND how diffulcult it was and would be for them to help or leave work etc to visit. Fortunately everything turned out fine but what a wake up call!!! I sat down with an atlas and drew a triangle between all necessary points, checked to see what would be max. of 6 hr. drive from each point and now we are in the planning stage! I have to say I orignially started a bit more central Tennesse but opted for the cooler mountains. Humidity will be a BIG change ...I spect my skin will fluff up like a marshmellow LOL And I can't wait to spend holidays and special times with everyone... plus all the common things like; no state income tax, mountains, hiking trails, and a reasonable housing market. My husband is from South Carolina so it did not take much convincing

Old 03-02-2007, 08:23 PM

I'm not really sure how many retirees are here, haven't really checked the statistics.
It just seemed that on this forum quite a few have moved or are moving to the Crossville area, or East Tennessee.
I was curious about the different reasons why Tennessee.

I really don't think that there is necessarily an influx of people moving to the state. It seems to be a growing trend all over the United States.
People are moving to Montana, Idaho, Texas, the Carolinas, Tennessee, Kentucky... and other places.

I really think that a large part of the migration seems to be from baby boomers who are getting ready to retire, and have realized that the places they would have liked to move to, like Florida and Arizona, and yes, California, have become inaccessible with high taxes, and higher cost of housing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleI View Post
Nope. Are there a lot of retirees there?

Old 03-02-2007, 09:21 PM

22 posts, read 70,938 times
Smile Remembered Childhood

My hubby grew up in Wyoming and I in rural Nothern Ca. Hubby wants to be someplace that there are 4 distinct seasons and we want someplace that our boys can have room to run and build there imagination catching frogs down by the creek instead of in front of the Playstation.( I refuse to deal with the snow in Wyoming). I want them to enjoy raising a few cows and chickens being able to run and play without the neighbors calling the cops. We have family in GA and family that will be retiring there in a few years and I am doing my best to get my in-laws to follow us to TN. We chose Eastern Tn so we could be out of Tornado Alley and close to the mountains and like others because it is affordable. I can't afford to buy an outhouse where I live in Ca but I hope to be able to afford a little slice of Heaven in Tn.

Old 03-02-2007, 10:40 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,675,571 times
Quote:

Interesting observation. Here's another one: Our friends in Fairfield Glade have seen a steady increase in property values up to the present time. Apparently that "bubble" isn't affecting the area. Probably because the insanity that was the bubble didn't occur there. Only the crazies on the coasts seemed to get really caught up in it. As you say TN is not FL or CA.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:06 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:

For starteres, PLEASE do not think the rest of Tennessee is like Memphis. If it weren't for the garbage that goes on in Memphis, the rest of Tennessee's statistics would be much different (and that goes for things other than housing statistics). There are places in Tennessee where the housing bubble hasn't burst because there was never a bubble to begin with.

But you're right, if someone thinks they can swoop into town and buy some property now and sell it in a few years at a profit, that's highly debatable.

However, if someone wants to buy property in Tennessee as a long-term investment, then now is definitely the time to buy. And actually with all those foreclosures you're talking about, that's even more lucrative for people who want to invest in some inexpensive real estate.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:36 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Default Why I moved to TN

My reason is a bit different for moving to TN. I moved before there was state Forums. I did not have as in depth search capabilities.
I moved here because I could not stand FL and did not want to raise my children there. Also the school my son was in for kindergarten was AWFUL and it was supposed to be one of the best in South East FL. I wanted my boys to have a great education and woods and snow to play in like I did growing up. My now ex was a native Floridian and both of our families were there. We did want to move TOO far away. The job industry he was in was specialized and there weren't a whole bunch of options. We left it up to where he could get work. We sent resumes to two firms in TN, one in VA and two in NC because of the good school districts close to those businesses as well. The one in TN hired him first. Now that I am here and long since divorced from him, I would NEVER think of moving. My boys and I fell in love with TN. The schools are great, we love the mountains and the people and the seasons. The great economics of the state was just a bonus for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee