Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 10:43 PM

21 posts, read 45,498 times

Advertisements

I am a Michigander and am vaugly familliar with your story. (You are the ones that got custody right?...Don't mean to pry, just curious.) Anyway, we have been tossing around the idea of moving to Tennessee also. ( We have family there and family land that ultimatly goes to us which is way cool and half the reason for us to move.) Based on what I have just read about you and what you are looking for in a community, I would definatly go with the Knoxville area. I just think it's more serene. I think the people are alot more "chill" then Nashville; no offense to you Nashville lovers. The way that you described the way you feel when you go home to Ohio is the feeling I get when I visit the family down south, (which is in the Knoxville area, forgot to say that.) You will find many folks that are just super down-home type people and alot with a deep faith in God which is something that you crave. I enjoy both Nashville and Knoxville, but for somewhere to move your family that will be different from here, my vote is definately East Tennessee! Good luck to you and your family. Who knows, maybe one day we'll be there too with you!

Old 01-06-2009, 10:47 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,206,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangie View Post
I am a Michigander and am vaugly familliar with your story. (You are the ones that got custody right?...Don't mean to pry, just curious.) Anyway, we have been tossing around the idea of moving to Tennessee also. ( We have family there and family land that ultimatly goes to us which is way cool and half the reason for us to move.) Based on what I have just read about you and what you are looking for in a community, I would definatly go with the Knoxville area. I just think it's more serene. I think the people are alot more "chill" then Nashville; no offense to you Nashville lovers. . . .
No offense taken. However, I think a lot of us Nashville folks didn't comment because, frankly, the original poster's mind was already made up.

And we wish him and his wife the best no matter where they end up.

Old 01-07-2009, 01:57 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,267,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
I can see why a hair stylist would like Nashville better. The traffic in both cities is bad, but we drive miles out of our way to avoid Knoxville. I have a niece that lives there, but if I were choosing between the two, I would choose Nashville. There is just so much to do there and we visited a timeshare more than once there and the people were just the friendliest I have ever met in our whole timeshare system.

I didn't understand what your occupation is, so that could be a deciding factor, but my gut feeling would be Nashville. Nashville gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Knoxville makes me feel tense. Every time I have traveled through it, I felt that my life had been threatened by irresponsible drivers.
Let's back up.

Traffic in our city is bad? What traffic? You felt your our life threatened? In KNOXVILLE? Are you sure you didn't take a wrong turn and end up on the Jersey Turnpike?

Old 01-07-2009, 02:02 PM

11 posts, read 49,564 times
"No offense taken. However, I think a lot of us Nashville folks didn't comment because, frankly, the original poster's mind was already made up."

True, I preffer Knoxville, and I do agree and feel that it is a lot more peaceful. I feel that with the population in Nashville, it would feel as crowded as here in Detroit. Not quite the same as Detroit, but as far as population amount goes vs. area, it is. I want something with more of a down home feel. I think my wife is just scared about being able to make it in a smaller city. From what she has told me, her friend works in a salon in Spring Hill, and that she has been promised a $9 an hour job there. I guess it just makes her feel a bit more secure. I just want to make a judgement call here that benefits all of us, and isn't a setup for failure. We have one shot at making this work.

Yes, we have been awarded custody, but since we ARE the biological parents that should have been expected 5 years ago. The problem was that Wayne County dragged this out for nearly six years, and gave another couple so much more rights to him than us. The Michigan State Court of Appeals decision says that all of this should have been over and he should have been returned, 5 years ago and that none of this should have gone on. It's rediculous and these judges get to walk away scott free, with not even a reprimand? I firmly believe that at least one of these judges was paid off. It showed that children can be bought in Michigan. Just because these people made a half million a year they deserved more rights than biological parents? I'm disgusted with Michigan, these people, and the courts. I'm sick of Michigan, and the garbage beauracracy that goes with it. Pretty much "let the state suffer as long as "we" make a buck". Lansing doesn't care. And none of them cared about my son.

Old 01-08-2009, 04:09 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,408 times
Hey 313,

I've lived in both Knoxville and Nashville. Nashville is absolutely fantastic for young adults - single or married w/o kids. People in Nashville tend to befriend newcomers quickly...because it seems everyone is a newcomer in Nashville. Although I had several Nashville-native friends who were just as welcoming. But there came a time when I thought it would be best for my daughter if she was no longer in Davidson County schools. That's when we moved to Knoxville. There have been some trade-offs. But overall, I'm confident we made the right choice for raising our children.

There is a great tech school in Knoxville that teaches truck driving, and you get your CDL in just a few weeks. There are probably more trucking jobs in Nashville than Knoxville. And I'm guessing most salons in Knoxville pay better than $9/hr...and there are plenty in operation around here.

Glad you two could pull together for the sake of your son. Best wishes for the next chapter of your life.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:40 PM

4,678 posts, read 9,888,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BST View Post
But there came a time when I thought it would be best for my daughter if she was no longer in Davidson County schools. That's when we moved to Knoxville.
Uhh... Sumner, Wilson, and Williamson County schools are great, Why not just move down the road ?

Old 01-09-2009, 12:50 PM
BST

451 posts, read 1,202,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNRyan23 View Post
Uhh... Sumner, Wilson, and Williamson County schools are great, Why not just move down the road ?
I found a job in Knoxville. Believe me, I looked at Mt Juliet quite hard...as well as every private school around my home in Davidson County. Then an opportunity in Knoxville came open and I took it.

Old 01-10-2009, 08:14 PM

Well, I have to say the responses from Knoxville have been better than the responses from Nashville. To say that "the original poster has made up his mind" is quite presumptive. My original post was not just to find out information to change my wifes mind, but an oppurtunity to change mine. I was simply trying my best to be open minded. Obviously more open minded than most. I believe it will be Knoxville, and I hope to see you all soon. January 30th we're coming down to find a house, and hope to be move down by mid Febuary. It seems to me that the people that have posted here have simply tried to be defensive. Knoxville poeple sounded much more optimistic and friendly. Thank you all for your posts and see ya soon! By the way I was also pissed to see the Titans lose. Will be watching to see the Ravens burn!

Old 01-10-2009, 08:15 PM

It seems to me that the people (from Nashville, sorry )that have posted here have simply tried to be defensive

Old 01-11-2009, 09:34 AM

710 posts, read 1,960,878 times
I live smack dab in the middle between both places. It sounds a little bit like Knoxville is more what you're looking for. Even when you live right in the city of Knoxville, it feels more like a suburb. If you were living right in the middle of Nashville, you'd definitely know it was a city.

I like both places just fine, by the way.

One caveat about the Knoxville recommendation--you might want to make sure your employment is nailed down by applying both places and seeing what happens. The local economy here is much, much better than Michigan but it's still not all roses. In terms of CDL and tractor trailer driving, both Knox and Nash are good options. Both locations are definitely full of ladies who like to keep up with their hair and nails, FOR SURE! It's not exactly Texas Big Hair Country here, but it is not far behind. And I say that as a compliment and not a slur on the coiffed, made-up and manicured Knoxvillians and Nashvillians, ladies, so don't make a face at me--it might freeze that way and then where would we be?

Good luck to you. Both places are full of people who would be more than willing to give you a chance, and both places are generally "you get what you give" places as well. It's a good thing to look toward the future and try to make changes to provide a better life for your family. Everyone needs a fresh start at least once in life!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee