Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2009, 12:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,289 times

Advertisements

My husband just got out of the marine corps and is joining the army because they have the job he wants. We are trying to decide between Fort Sill and Fort Campbell, but neither of us has been to either place. Any information on the two areas would be great and very helpful. I have read a lot about crime and gangs being a problem in Lawton, Ok, but they also have a great deal more house rentals available than Clarksville, TN. From what i've been able to find there are not a whole lot of reasonablly priced homes to rent in Clarksville, and the ones there are seem... run-down. Anything would help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 03:21 PM

11,087 posts, read 17,537,039 times
Look north of Ft. Campbell. Check out Hopkinsville, Christian County, or even Trigg County and Cadiz. I live in Cadiz. My wife drove to Ft. Campbell to work (civilian employee) for over 20 years and drove from Cadiz every day. It's about 30 miles. We know some military who live here or out in the county between Cadiz and Campbell and make the drive. Having I-24 run from one to the other helps too! I"m not taking anything away from the Clarksville area, but you were wondering about home prices. Check out houses in the area at Real Estate Listings, Homes for Sale and Rental Property Listings – REALTOR.com® . Just put in the town you want to check on and the price range you want. Good luck with the move whichever direction you go!

Old 01-18-2009, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 10,289 times
Thank you so much!! That website is GREAT!!

Old 09-02-2010, 01:07 AM

27,342 posts, read 27,393,359 times
Maybe I missed something here but are either of you active military?
Because usually you go where ever they send you and my Army son has served at both bases.
Youre not the first one to comment on the higher crime rates, drugs, not so great city of Lawton but as I just posted to another person who was asking a similar question, my own personal experiences in there werent real impressive either, but I was only there for about a week and you might get different responses from others who have either spent more time there.
Id take Clarksville any day, they might not have as many rentals there but then, comparing the two cities you might see why. I surely wouldnt make Lawton an option. Just my thoughts.

Old 09-02-2010, 09:44 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,187,777 times
A couple of questions you need to answer for yourself are:
1. Do you prefer brown or green?
2. Do you prefer flatness to the point that pancakes come to mind or gently rolling hills?
3. Do you prefer seemingly non-stop wind with nothing between you and the north pole except a barb wire fence or gentle breezes?

I think you know which description applies to which place.

Most any of my friends that have been stationed at both posts preferred Ft. Campbell. Most that them lived on the Kentucky side.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Good luck with your choice and move!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee