Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 07:29 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Sweetpea, I came from Florida, where people came in droves. First of all, I do not have the money that a developer has to pay off a politician. Second, the people that came to Florida did not create jobs. They drove up the housing prices so that I came to Tennessee and had to live in a tent. It was that or live in a shelter in Florida. And I have a little girl.

Not a big deal. I chose badly when I moved here, or more to the point, I chose well, and the rest had the same idea.

I moved here, I can move elsewhere.

But I have the right to be angry, mostly at myself, I suppose. Next time I will not choose so well.
Well like you said. You moved there because the cost of living attracted you. You just need to realize you came from FL and there are alot of other people suffering like you down here too who are looking for a break too. I mean, how many Floridians moved to TN before you and were complaining because you as a Floridian were moving in on them? You can't keep people away from trying to better themselves. And you said many times that jobs are scarce so if all the Floridians are moving in, they won't be able to stay because all the jobs will be taken anyway. I'm sorry your having such a tough time making it but you do seem to blame your situation on the newcomers. Some of these newcomers may be in the same situation as you. Though it may not make a difference to you, just remember "there's always someone worse off than you". I really do hope things get better for you though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2007, 07:42 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
I have NEVER said that I moved to Tennessee because it was cheaper. That has always been my complaint - that Floridians move here because it is cheaper, not even considering what living in a Southern state means, or entails. Slog through my thousand plus posts and you will see.

Don't want to? I don't blame you!

Where will I go next? Somewhere Southern where the masses are not interested in moving.

You? You are one of the few people in Florida that do not need to move to Tennessee for financial reasons. I am well aware of that. Good for you, and I wish you luck. I really do.

As far as the way you were treated, well, if it was in Cocke County I am not surprised. Cocke County has a terrible legacy that is continuing. I tried to warn you, really, I did. And no, I don't think it is funny.

But I could have moved to Iowa if I wanted cheap. There are a lot of states cheaper than Tennessee.

Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Question a valid question JMT-

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I'm not sure what "anti-Yankee" posts you've seen on here, but it seems that the only "anti-Yankee" posts have been those lamenting Northerners who move to the South and then complain about the way we do things. As long as you move here with the desire to appreciate our way of life and not try to remind us that the South lost and the North won, and not try to tell us how much better things are up North than here in the South, then you'll be fine.

Tennessee's current governor, a Democrat, was born in New Jersey and raised in New York. The previous governor, a Republican, was born and raised in Illinois. Nashville's mayor was born and raised in Pennsylvania. Clearly, we don't have problems with Northerners who move here and blend in.

Conversely, I'd be curious to see how many New Yorkers would vote for a Southerner--with a Southern accent--for governor of New York or mayor of NYC.
But conversely, I have heard people here say they will not vote for Giuliani because he's "I-talian". I mean I haven't heard thoughts like that since my great grandmother- from 1899 Germany.

I am pretty easygoing but have an issue when people think that way- and wont vote for Hillary because women shouldnt even be allowed to vote. (According to a neighbor I have here). Just my 2 cents.

sunny

Old 03-28-2007, 07:57 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
But conversely, I have heard people here say they will not vote for Giuliani because he's "I-talian". I mean I haven't heard thoughts like that since my great grandmother- from 1899 Germany.

I am pretty easygoing but have an issue when people think that way- and wont vote for Hillary because women shouldnt even be allowed to vote. (According to a neighbor I have here). Just my 2 cents.

sunny
There are people all over who won't vote for an Italian or a woman or a Mormon or a Jew or a black or a white or whatever because of some silly prejudice. That is not unique to the South. But here in Tennessee we have a governor who was born and raised in the North (and sounds like it), the last governor was also from the North, and the mayor of Nashville was from the North. Clearly, the majority of Tennesseans who vote don't have a problem with Northerners. And I submit that the same would NOT be true up North; I'd like to see just how far a Southerner with a Southern accent gets in New York politics.

Some of you might think I'm crazy for saying this (and some of you think I'm already crazy) but I think Governor Bredesen sounds like that dentist elf from the Rudolph the Red Nose Reindeer TV show. Know what I'm talking about? I chuckle every time I hear him speak (and I do like the guy).

Old 03-28-2007, 08:11 PM

Although I have always related to the land of misfit toys...

I've noticed a lot of racial tensions around here and definitely on both sides. I am not use to this and it is weird and disheartening. I'm beginning to think that Knoxville has a lot of problems that I had never imagined, and I wonder if the killing of those two kids was racially motivated. How can five people be involved, including a woman, and it not be racial?

Old 03-28-2007, 08:14 PM

I am not playing devils advocate here- but when I lived in NY (suburbs, not city) (first 32 years of my life) I cannot EVER recall someone's being from the south ever being an issue. The only time people thought about the Civil War, was if they watched "Gone With The Wind". It just seems a different way of thinking.

sunny

Old 03-28-2007, 08:17 PM

Lightbulb what happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Although I have always related to the land of misfit toys...

I've noticed a lot of racial tensions around here and definitely on both sides. I am not use to this and it is weird and disheartening. I'm beginning to think that Knoxville has a lot of problems that I had never imagined, and I wonder if the killing of those two kids was racially motivated. How can five people be involved, including a woman, and it not be racial?
Is that recent? I stay away from local news. I think there are some underlying things happening though.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:19 PM

Yeah. I've seen this argument brought up before, how Yankees would just fall over laughing at the southern guy. Nothing can be farther from the truth. I grew up In Mass. and we had two people that moved in with Southern accents, at separate times, and we fell all over them. They were people different than us and we were charmed.

That is a bunch of crap.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:20 PM

1,775 posts, read 8,096,716 times
[quote=hiknapster;509210]
As far as the way you were treated, well, if it was in Cocke County I am not surprised. Cocke County has a terrible legacy that is continuing. I tried to warn you, really, I did. QUOTE]

Actually we were traveling all over Jefferson County, Cocke and Sevier County so it was a wide range of areas for those rude people. Yeah there were some nasty places in Cocke County but also in the other counties as well and they were mostly found on the back roads that lead to nowhere. If Cocke county is as bad as you say, guess i'll just have to live and learn. At least our property is in a restricted subdivision so i can guarantee i won't have no run down trash home next to us anyways. It's amazing some of the things we saw on those long roads to nowhere and i have never seen so many dogs running free in my life. Is there a leash law in TN?? Just wondering. I think i saw 46 dogs (my daughter was counting them)during our travels and maybe 5 were on a leash.

Old 03-28-2007, 08:21 PM

Yeah. It happened a couple of months ago. There is a bit about it on the "Knoxville" forum.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee