U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 06-23-2007, 02:08 AM

8,766 posts, read 19,590,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21homes View Post
my experience here hasn't been wonderful as I thought but hasn't been all that bad either. Being from up North depending on where you go in tenn. and i am currently in Knoxville, they do dislike Yankees to a certain degree and they do make remarks. Now I am not saying all Tennesseans but I can say the 80% that I have come across has one way or another made a comment of some sort. Of course i cant hide my accent so every time I say something some one always asks where are you from. Then that's when all the jokes come out about do you know what rekon is or down yonder and then they give me the whole spill of country slang. Dont get me wrong it's not everyone but it is a lot. I have to say that a few areas of Knoxville I dont see that reaction much, but others are worst then some. If I can help any more let me know. I have been here 3 1/2 years so needless to say it's not all that bad. Just brush it off and keep going.
I have read and re-read your post, but I can't figure out what is so offensive by teasing you about your not talking like a Tennessean. My gosh, I get teased about my Southern accent and my Southern vernacular all the time when I'm out of the South. I get teased about my American accent when I'm in England. It is no big deal. I laugh along with them and then we move on.

If I had a nickel for every time a Yankee up in Boston teased my sister (who was at Harvard) about her Southern accent, I would've retired years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 06-23-2007, 08:30 PM

78 posts, read 179,604 times
With your religious background, you will be welcomed in all parts of the state and I've travelled 2500+ miles in 2 weeks. I was asked several times "where I attend" and invited to services.

Unread 06-25-2007, 12:31 PM

14 posts, read 34,065 times
sorry I should have elaboated more. I didn't want to get to deep into this because I dont want anyone to think Tenn is bad, it just has some people in some areas that are not educated and make rude remarks (and I dont mean just with my accent). You are right when southerners come up North they do make fun of the accents, I guess every where you go they do that. I have lived in Cali for awhile and sounded different to them. But what I meant about is the way they treat people down here , there is a lot of prejudice. More then I have ever seen any where else. "MY OPINION" And I am sure you know what I mean. They are very defensive when it comes to other religions or ethnic backgrounds. Something I have never seen up North, they can give a rats a-- to what church you go to or what you believe in up there, they will still be your friend. Here is just a whole different world.

Unread 09-01-2007, 10:44 PM

2 posts, read 1,417 times
Default Living in Newport/Cocke County TN

I have lived here my whole life and I have had it with all the people moving here and telling us what we dont have and what they left.
Well if you miss it that much go back.
You moved here for a reason but if that reason was to make us the way that it was were you came from GO BACK.

We was here before you came we will be here when you move on.

Unread 09-01-2007, 10:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by c21homes View Post
sorry I should have elaboated more. I didn't want to get to deep into this because I dont want anyone to think Tenn is bad, it just has some people in some areas that are not educated and make rude remarks (and I dont mean just with my accent). You are right when southerners come up North they do make fun of the accents, I guess every where you go they do that. I have lived in Cali for awhile and sounded different to them. But what I meant about is the way they treat people down here , there is a lot of prejudice. More then I have ever seen any where else. "MY OPINION" And I am sure you know what I mean. They are very defensive when it comes to other religions or ethnic backgrounds. Something I have never seen up North, they can give a rats a-- to what church you go to or what you believe in up there, they will still be your friend. Here is just a whole different world.
That may because everyone comeing here try to make us the way they are.
your right about one thing we dont give a rat's a-- about you and your god and you should do the same. As far as being educated, where I live I'm still a kid to most of the people around me. You see being educated means your moving to mid. or west tennessee for a job. Your not going to stay here where McD's is one of the best paying jobs around.

Unread 09-02-2007, 11:48 AM

6 posts, read 10,887 times
i have a question and not sure where to go to post it so im doing it here.lol

we live outside of nashville which we love but want more land. we have seen a few homes with land at a awesome price in lawrenceburg,tn. however concerned that it may not be accepting of a inter-racial family? it is 96% white area. any thoughts please let me know! thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee