Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 12:28 PM

592 posts, read 2,135,075 times

Advertisements

Interesting.

I chose not to live in the LaFollette area because of the 4 lane with 45mph speed limits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 12:34 PM

1 posts, read 2,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bighead View Post
I find your $500k figure pretty hard to believe, but I suppose it's possible.
If you live in Knoxville then you have access to information that will confirm that there are many, many lake homes over 500K, and a couple dozen that price at over a million dollars. Not to mention Mike Ross (Rarity Communities) is building two developments in CC. Rarity Mountain is the largest of his developments!

Old 10-09-2007, 12:32 PM

1 posts, read 2,776 times
Quote:
It's really hard to believe that you've lived there this long without meeting any deliverance cast members. Perhaps I can direct you to some. Take the old road from Caryville, past Shoneys, that goes "behind the mountain" and sort of parallels the interstate up to the Huntsville exit. There are several shacks and trailers surrounded by old cars and other junk in various states of decay and disassembly. Last time I went through there, I saw a shirtless guy whose back was so hairy that it looked like he was wearing a sweater. That's quite a genetic feat.

I'm much more familiar with the area around Lake City. Take 116 from Lake City, through Briceville and Laurel Grove, to the top of Graves Gap Mountain. There's an area up there called Duncan Flats, and another called Braden Flats. The Bradens and Duncans have lived on top of that mountain and married each other for at least 200 years.

Have you ever met anybody from the Lake City area with the Daugherty surname? I've met a bunch of them. Daurghertys are not bad folks. The funny thing about them is that they all look the same, and they're all dumb as a rock.

As far as my own lineage, I don't claim any extraordinary pedigree. My great great grandmother was a Duncan from Laurel Grove (at the base of Graves Gap Mountain). My grandfather has told me that he is distant cousins to some Daughertys. Luckily, my relation to the Duncans and Daughertys is several generations back, and I got fresh genes from the other side of my family. It would be a stretch to make the case that I'm backward or inbred. I can't deny that I'm a bit of a hillbilly, though a lot of locals think I'm not hillbilly enough.

Would you really consider your children safe walking along the streets of Lake City? Several people I've met in this area have been surprised when I told them I was from Lake City. I just seem so normal and law-abiding. Lake City is known in this area for being a rough town and a dump and the best place to get crank or weed. Do some grocery shopping at Shoprite and see how many normal, relatively intelligent folks you can find. I'll bet you can count them on one hand. You'll find they're outnumbered 10 to 1 by people who are mentally hindered by their genes and/or their addictions.

I can't believe you! First of all, Lake City isn't even part of Campbell County.
And secondly, allot of these people that you have talked about haven't had the opportunities in life that maybe you and your father did. Your father must have had some sort of "better" chance since he married into your mom's "perfect" lineage. I grew up thinking the same thing about my mothers family because I was rarely around them due to them being from another larger city. After I grew up and had more visits with them, I realize all families have people in them that are different. And, the most of the people that live in those little mountain communities are happier than the rest of the world. Maybe people aught to be wondering "why"? It might be because they don't waste their time judging or gossiping about other peoples differences in living.
Go to a homecoming at one of the churches and you will definitely want to go back. They are very good people.

Read about Campbell County History and you will find at one time this was a booming place and had quite a bit of money and business here. Campbell County still has quite a bit of money here and every year more are moving into our area.... thats why our beautiful lakes are filling up with homes from people that are retiring here from other states. They must have found things here that they liked. Yes, there are drugs here... there are drugs everywhere. There are rich and poor people here, they too are everywhere. And there are trashy area's. If you have ever travelled at all, you would know that there are trashy places in every state, every city. As for Lake City, its just another one of those places thats a gateway to one of the most beautiful lakes and mountains you will ever see.

Speaking of cast members....Do you know how many movies were made in that very area in caryville that you speak of? At least 3 that I know of.

You still live in Lake City????? Wow. And you've met several people that are amazed that you live there. Hmmm. If they notice so much drugs and crime going on in Lake City, then whats there business there? Are they a supplier?

We are to pull the good out of all situations. I bet that guy with the hairy back in Caryville wished he had been born with a smooth hairless back, a nice 4 bedroom house and a job that pays more than minimum wage.

The Bible says, the poor we shall always have with us. This is the reason why. Instead of helping, lifting up and encouraging...there are those that would rather judge and hurt and keep people down. No wonder the world is getting worse.

You can comment to this if you like, but dont be expecting a reply from me. I won't be reading this stuff anymore. I came upon it by mistake.

Sincerely,
Campbell County Native, Born and raised.
Christian.
Not perfect, just human.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:25 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
Quote:
So I'm not imagining things after all... Since most of the mines closed a few decades ago, most folks who have any brains or work ethic moved away from places like Lake City, Briceville, Jacksboro, Caryville, etc. The productive, law-abiding citizens who stayed started commuting to Knoxville to work, since there are no decent jobs in the area. Naturally, the kids of productive, law-abiding citizens tend to move away. It's a classic brain-drain situation. As a result, these declining hellholes have really high proportion of crazy-check recipients, crank cookers, baptists, thieves, kissin' cousins, and various other slackjaws. I grew up near Lake City, so I understand the prevalent mindset. I even held the prevalent mindset, to some extent, until I joined the military and found out by comparison what a sh1thole Lake City is. It probably isn't as bad an area for me as it is for an outsider. I have distant relatives around, I can turn up the accent a notch, and I can put on a pretty convincing good ol' boy act. If you're from another part of the country, you're automatically considered a Yankee. As Don'tdoit has learned, having money and an education makes you even more suspicious and sometimes a target. If you MUST move to east Tennessee, the closer you get to Knoxville or Chattanooga, the better off you'll be.
You have a problem with Baptists???

Old 02-13-2008, 12:36 AM

2 posts, read 6,928 times
Default agreeing with "Dont Do It"

I couldnt have said It better myself!My husband an I have lived here for 10 years.He is retired And I have a job which puts me in contact with a lot of local people. We have been robbed,harrassed by a local"Constable" ignored by our county commisioners,and been the target of some of those "good ole boys" This was going to be our retirement too when a Elected Constable, who had been visiting up the hill with acounty Sherriffs officer, and the brother of a not so innocent police officer,all of whom are "buddies" No dout he was told to Harress my husband. He told him to "sit down boy' "Shut Up Boy" And our friends were treated very badly also- For no reason. No they dont want us here. Even the commissioners from my district push it under the rug .but it wont go away as you can judge for yourelf by going to www.Imformation (broken link) Highway and click on Campbell County Issues This is from locals. I bet youll find all you want to know-good or bad obout this beautiful area

Old 02-13-2008, 03:33 AM

182 posts, read 780,231 times
WELL, LOOKS LIKE WE NEED A 'NICE' STORY HERE FROM ONE OF THOSE ''HORRIBLE'' FLORIDIANS .(former new yorker ) . ME,
MY BROTHER JUST BOUGHT LAND IN ADAMSVILLE TENN . THE FIRST TIME WE SPENT SOME TIME IN THE TRAILER HE HAS ON THE LAND, last june , I NOTICED A CORRAL ACROSS THE ROAD . JUST A MERE 500 FT AWAY . . BEING A HORSE LOVER ,, I TROTTED ACROSS THE STREET AND STARTED CALLING HIM .. HE CAME AND GAVE ME A 'BIG' HUG' .. ( (ALL HORSE LOVERS WILL KNOW WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT)
WELL, WE SPENT 4 DAYS THERE , AND EVERYDAY I BROUGHT HIM SOMETHING TO EAT . .AND PETTED HIM FOR A FEW MINUTES ..
ONE DAY , HE LEANED INTO THE BOARD (PART OF HIS OLD FENCE) to hug me , i guess, AND IT FELL TO THE GROUND .. I WAS AGHAST !!!
.. BEING A CITY SLICKER, I STARTED YELLING FOR MY BROTHER .. HE CAME RUNNING WITH A BIG NAIL AND A HAMMER .
WELL, THAT HORSE, (NAMED CRACKERJAX BTW) JUST STEPPED OVER THE BOTTOM PLANK AND WALKED RIGHT OUT OF HIS CORRAL .
I RAN AS FAST AS MY BAD KNEE WOULD ALLOW ME TO HIS OWNERS HOME . AND NO ONE WAS HOME .
BY THE TIME I GOT BACK TO HIM , HE WAS GRAZING ON THE GRASS OUTSIDE HIS FENCE . .AT THIS POINT I DID WHAT ANY SELF RESPECTING IGNORANT CITY SLICKER WOULD DO . . STOOD IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROAD WAVING MY ARMS FOR SOMEONE , ANYONE, TO STOP .
WELL ,3 WOMEN DID STOP . ONE SAID SHE'D BE RIGHT BACK , AND THE 3RD GOT OUT A SHORT PIECE OF ROPE FROM HER BACK SEAT . ABOUT 12" LONG . AND PROCEEDED TO SAY 'CRACKERJAX' WHATTA YA'LL DOIN OUTTA YOUR PASTURE?'
BY THIS TIME HE HAD CROSSED THE ROAD :O , AND WAS EATING MY BROTHER'S GRASS .

. MY BROTHER WAS NAILING THE 'ROTTED' PLANK BACK UP ..
SHE WALKED RIGHT UP TO THAT GIANT HORSE.. (SHE MUSTA BEEN ABOUT 4'9'') AND WRAPPED THE ROPE AROUND THE TOP OF HIS NECK .THE ONLY PLACE IT WOULD FIT .. AND WALKED HIM BACK THRU HIS GATE .. INTO HIS PASTURE .. AT THAT MOMENT HIS OWNER SCREECHED TO A HALT RIGHT IN FRONT OF ALL THIS .
YELLED OUT 'THANKYE' TO MY BROTHER' AND 'HONEY ' . (THE LADY WITH THE ROPE) AND HAD THAT BOARD DOWN AND A NEW BARBED WIRE FENCE UP BEFORE WE LEFT THE NEXT MORNING ..
WELL, I THANKED HONEY ..TOLD HER I'D BE MOVING DOWN IN THE NEXT YR .. WHEN I RETIRED . SHE SAID '' MOVE NOW '' I NEED A FRIEND' . .
THIS AFTER KNOWING ME ABOUT 10 MIN ..
AFTER WE DROVE AWAY AND I HAD ABSORBED IT ALL , I STARTED CRYING IN THE FRONT SEAT .. MY BROTHER SAID 'WHATTA YA CRYIN ABOUT ?'
I SOBBED .. ,, IF I HADN'T BEEN PETTING HIM ALL WEEK, HE WOULDNT' HAVE LEANED ON THAT BOARD AND THIS WOULDNT 'HAVE HAPPENED. '

HE SAID .. WHAT IF YOU HADNT' BEEN FEEDING HIM AND HE HAD LEANED ON THE BOARD AND YOU WERENT' HERE TO GET HELP'?
WELL ,, I HICCUPPED TO A STOP . . YEAH .THAT'S RIGHT .. I 'M SOME SORTA HERO ARENT' I ??''
NAH .. HONEY WAS THE HERO . .SO HONEY, IF YOU'RE READING THIS . AND I HOPE YOU ARE .. THANKS AGAIN . .I KNOW I SAID IT ENOUGH THAT DAY BLUBBERING IN YOUR ARMS .. BUT IT WAS A FIRST TIME EXPERIENCE FOR THIS OL GIRL FROM BKLYN . (AND NOW FLA) ..
WHEN I GOT HOME AND WROTE A COUNTRY FRIEND OF MINE , TOLD HER ABOUT IT , SHE SAID ' 'ALL YOU HAD TO DO WAS GRAB HIM BY THE EAR AND LEAD HIM BACK INTO THE CORRAL .' . . YEAH RIGHT .. ME , AT 5'3" GRAB A 16 HAND HORSE BY THE EAR ????? OMG ..
THANKS HONEY ...
AS FAR AS I'M CONCERNED , IF HONEY IS ANY INDICATION OF THE PEOPLE IM GOING TO MEET IN TENN ,, I CAN'T WAIT TO GET THERE.
AS FOR THE 2ND LADY . .SHE WAS BACK IN 5 MIN WIth A ROPE SHE'd DRIVEN HOME TO GET. . SAW THAT HONEY HAD IT ALL IN HAND AND WAVED AND DROVE AWAY .. (AFTER I THANKED HER TOO PROFUSELY) ..

LET ME TELL YA'LL SOMETHING , IF SOMETHING LIKE THIS HAD HAPPENED IN WPB FL OR BKLYN NY .. I WOULD STILL BE STANDING THERE AND THAT HORSE WOULD BE LYING DEAD IN THE STREET AFTER GETTING HIT BY SOME SPEEDER .

THANKS HONEY . .I'LL LOOK FOR YOUR GREEN MAILBOX WHEN I GET THERE . .AND WE'LL HAVE A CUPPA TEA ..
JEANNE

Old 02-13-2008, 10:43 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
I go to Cove Lake State Park in Caryville. It's a nice park in my opinion and it's very easy to get to because it's right off I-75. The area is pretty especially in the Fall. The water was way down (lot a mud) in early January but better in February. Don't know anything about living there. Going to try fishing there in the Spring.

Old 05-08-2008, 01:14 PM

1 posts, read 2,653 times
Thumbs down Sweats Wrecker Service - LaFollette Tenn - No place to be in time of need!

SWEATS WRECKER SERVICE - no place to be in time of need.
NEVER.....NEVER.....use Sweats Wrecker service located in LaFollette Tenn. Especially if you do not live in the area.

I recently had an encounter, not by choice, with Sweats Wrecker Service.

The girl that answers the phone, Tasha, was such a joy!

Sweats towed a vehicle for someone close to me, and then REFUSED to release the vehicle to anyone other than the owner, who was incapacitated and could not be present to pick up the vehicle.

I could understand if they were truly attempting to protect themselves, however....his daughter has a power of attorney, and we had a signed release to obtain the vehicle. This went on for FOUR weeks. We quickly accumulated over eight hundred dollars in storage fees, to be paid to Sweats of course. We had these funds, and wanted to pay it and pick up the vehicle.

Someone, gee...I wonder who, then notified the finance company to pick up the vehicle. Now we get to pay those additional fees as well. Great job Sweats!

My point is, they DID discriminate against me due to me being an 'outsider'. What they failed to realize is, I am an outsider, but also an insider. My family is from LaFollette. Most of them still live there. I have informed, and will continue to inform anyone who will listen, NOT TO EVER UNDER ANY CIRCOMSTANCES, use Sweats Wrecker service.

Our family is in a deep crisis, and in need of just a little humanity, and could not find an ounce of it at Sweats.

My wish for my 'friends' at Sweats is they find the same understanding when they are in time of need.

To all who still live there, especially my family, give my love to Sweats and Tasha, then give them the finger of your choosing!

Last edited by InsideOut; 05-08-2008 at 01:46 PM.. Reason: fonts/formatting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee