Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 10:38 PM

3 posts, read 6,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
TN isn't getting even small volumes of New Yorkers (or anyone else from the northeast) directly according to migration patterns but I do believe Tennessee is getting them indirectly by way of Florida, just like what happened in NC. That is, people who moved from the northeast to Florida are now moving again, from Florida to TN. In East Tennessee, Floridians are settling in big numbers in Sevier, Blount and Knox Counties according to migration patterns. Watch the local elections in those counties to see if those people are changing those 3 counties. Watch the local news stories for evidence of a culture clash. Watch the taxes, too.

Unfortantly, alot of the native Sevier countians arent getting very far. We have the very rich, the people who just moved in with lots of money and live well, we have the middle class who made it to college and most are teachers, and then we have the majority- who work in the tourist industry for 5 something an hour. With Knoxville (UT) being the closest university, most lower class families arent getting degrees. Weve upgraded some with the extension campus of Walters State moving into town, and its growing rapidly, but most lower class families stuggle to make ends meet. The Hispanic population is also growing in this area. I dont think the "outsiders" are negatively impacting the economy, I think it an economic issue that will have to be delt with by the city. Recently the UT extension held a workshop to mimic situations that lower class families have to deal with daily (Written about in the mountain press), but it going to take much more than that to help those who arent getting much of a break. You decide for yourself

Old 03-15-2007, 10:47 PM

1,076 posts, read 3,546,277 times
Quote:
Then she said that she was going to go over to those people and offer to fix their roof
lol, i can just picture it, then it will be i really try to fit in but i just can't.

TN has a lot of open land but i often wonder the same thing, if all the incoming go to east tn or some to middle it could make for a few problems, as someone said a few threads back some in tn can hardly afford housing as it is so if the influx drives prices way up which it has in spots that's not going to be good.

now if you add in those such as the tires on the roof lady, it isn't going to be long & there's going to be a lot of feudin goin on.
I wonder what the impact will be on the states health care system if most of the incoming are all retired & be up in age soon.

Old 03-16-2007, 12:21 AM

518 posts, read 2,220,813 times
Quote:
For everything I have read about Tennessee in retirement magazines and for all of the retirement things that come to me in the mail or in e-mail, the only time I have seen the words "Hawks Bluff" is here in this forum.
Hawks Bluff does almost all its marketing in Florida, Michigan, Illinois and Ohio and offers its free weekend promotion only to people from those states. Rocco is a developer based in Boca Raton. He's developed quite a following in South Florida.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:39 AM

37,755 posts, read 40,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasitysr View Post
Unfortantly, alot of the native Sevier countians arent getting very far. We have the very rich, the people who just moved in with lots of money and live well, we have the middle class who made it to college and most are teachers, and then we have the majority- who work in the tourist industry for 5 something an hour. With Knoxville (UT) being the closest university, most lower class families arent getting degrees. Weve upgraded some with the extension campus of Walters State moving into town, and its growing rapidly, but most lower class families stuggle to make ends meet. The Hispanic population is also growing in this area. I dont think the "outsiders" are negatively impacting the economy, I think it an economic issue that will have to be delt with by the city. Recently the UT extension held a workshop to mimic situations that lower class families have to deal with daily (Written about in the mountain press), but it going to take much more than that to help those who arent getting much of a break. You decide for yourself

Dealt with by the city? How do you think they deal with it? Your taxes.

Newcomers blow in with money from someplace else. They demand services and schools. The services newcomers want bring in cheap labor and the families of cheap labor. Cheap labor families place a burden on the hospitals and schools. Everyone pay for cheap labor (except the businesses that employ them) with taxes and health insurance payments. A large influx of newcomers create problems with the roads (need new, improved ones) and traffic. Taxes (to pay for new schools, roads, police and fire, etc.) and car insurance (more car accidents/car theft = insurance hikes), to name two, go up to accommodate the influx of newcomers. They want the same government intervention, programs and regulation that comes with being liberal in large northeastern cities---they think the government should fix everything/deal with everything. Your taxes pay for those programs/intervention/regulation. A big change in newcomer numbers changes the voting patterns of an area so that the longtime residents are soon the minority. They lose control of their schools and what is taught to their kids. They lose control of how crime is treated. There are so many new people, the police can't even be bothered to come out and check on your kid's stolen bike, the smashed window on your car or the drunk running down the street without his pants.

And then, that place becomes Florida.

Old 03-17-2007, 11:01 PM

923 posts, read 3,507,438 times
Quote:
TN isn't getting even small volumes of New Yorkers (or anyone else from the northeast) directly according to migration patterns but I do believe Tennessee is getting them indirectly by way of Florida, just like what happened in NC. That is, people who moved from the northeast to Florida are now moving again, from Florida to TN. In East Tennessee, Floridians are settling in big numbers in Sevier, Blount and Knox Counties according to migration patterns. Watch the local elections in those counties to see if those people are changing those 3 counties. Watch the local news stories for evidence of a culture clash. Watch the taxes, too.

Ok than...
So it would be like the Canadiene Illegals flying in to Mexico City to Run through Our Southern Borders?

So I say: Man The Cannons...

Old 03-18-2007, 03:41 PM

764 posts, read 1,453,748 times
Default A little "natural order"

"Is Tennessee about to get too crowded?"

While this forum is not intended to be politically-oriented, this subject matter is difficult to discuss without touching on it, as I’ve read in a few of the posts.

One of the many reasons I’m moving to Tennessee is to experience what I sense is a place that values the concept of natural order. Also, from reading and discussing politics at various online forums, I’ve learned a little about the area that includes Tennessee and it appears that the type of society and government that our founders intended is still prominent thought. They did not believe that ANY faction’s use of government to force people to follow a prescribed path would lead to any good in the long run.

Change can be good but it can also be very bad and most of us have witnessed both. As an adult I’ve lived in Washington, Oregon, and Colorado. I’ve moved to several different areas in Washington. And each time I hoped I had found a place that would not be discovered by large numbers of others and then changed to something I did not like. Each time I was wrong and I left.

I’ve announced that my wife and I are moving to Monterey and no doubt many of you are saying something similar to “Oh great. More people. Just what we need.” I don’t blame you.

In my humble opinion, people are happiest when surrounded as much as possible by people and things closest to what they like. So what the heck is wrong with that? I don’t want to keep moving around the country trying to get away from people and places I don’t like, so it’s best to more careful in my selections and then become active with others in the area to encourage any changes—that might HAVE to happen—to go in the “correct” direction. Obviously, the “correct” direction will have many definitions.

Isn’t it likely that so many of the problems people from Florida, for example, experience is because they ALLOWED the State and local governments to make laws, codes, regulations, and rules that forced its citizens to follow various prescribed paths that elected and appointed officials thought was best for the citizens, all the while keeping said citizens in the dark as to the paths that were about to be prescribed for them?

The era of instant communication is forever upon us, thankfully, and it SHOULD be every elected official’s main duty to communicate with all the citizens to be represented. Never again will such officials be required to saddle up and ride off or hook up a team and drive off to meet with constituents. And it is high time we made certain they communicate EVERYTHING they intend to do as their tasks are only those given to them by us.

But while it SHOULD be the officials’ main duty to communicate with us, we are foolish to assume that this will happen and then sit by and await the momentous decisions made on our behalf. This is called “lack of vigilance” and to our founders was the most dangerous of all things, next to giving up our firearms, that could happen to the citizenry.

Floridians COULD and SHOULD change their State by vigilance and actions as should every State. But they should also accept that natural order can be a good thing. If Spanish-speaking communities develop and they’ve gotten into America legally, so be it. The problems begin to occur when they begin to make demands for laws, rules, regulation, codes, etc to change society one way or the other. When force is used, and by that I mean removal of choices to do otherwise, then people begin to be unhappy. That unhappiness is an insidious society-breaker that will rear its ugly head sooner or later.

I’m not “escaping” The Great Northwest because I don’t want to expend the major efforts required to fix it. The US is experiencing this as Mexicans and others from around the world by the millions see how much easier it is to partake in a ready-made, grand socio-economy.

Migration of people from State to State and city to city is going to happen but, when more and more people accept that some measure of natural order is a good thing, such migrations can be positive in the long run—that is, in my humble opinion.

Maybe there’s a Heaven or maybe not, I don’t believe in reincarnation, and my religion has not mutated into promoting death as a much grander option than living, so I’m going to ACTIVELY experience life. I’m going to experience Tennessee and as much of the surrounding geographic area as I can and along the way hope to find that place of natural order that brings me happiness and harmony.

Old 03-18-2007, 05:41 PM

37,755 posts, read 40,844,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
" each time I hoped I had found a place that would not be discovered by large numbers of others and then changed to something I did not like. Each time I was wrong and I left.
I don't live in a bad place now (MD) and I didn't live in a bad place (Eastern Long Island, NY) before this one. It was just that a job change within my agency and a divorce dictated a move. And, now that I'm retiring at the end of this month, this place in MD just isn't the right fit with regard to what I want to do in retirement. But, one of the main reasons Tennessee is attractive to me is it will be the first time in my life I can have my red state ideology in an actual red state. If the transplants that come in change the ideological make-up of my area of Tennessee too much, I'll consider moving again. It's that important to me. I am deliberately not picking a place that is too close to the Smokies because of the larger numbers of transplants they attract. I like my new (future) Congressman, Zach Wamp. I've been following his activities/positions for the last 6 months. I don't want this thread to get zapped so I won't say anything specific.

I've got about 2 months to go before I'm there.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:20 PM

6,459 posts, read 11,995,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happyappy View Post
Maybe there’s a Heaven or maybe not, I don’t believe in reincarnation, and my religion has not mutated into promoting death as a much grander option than living, so I’m going to ACTIVELY experience life. I’m going to experience Tennessee and as much of the surrounding geographic area as I can and along the way hope to find that place of natural order that brings me happiness and harmony.
Hear! Hear! **clapping loudly**

Everything you said was on point, but the last paragraph was perfect. Just PERFECT.

Unlike you, I can't keep running from city to city or state to state to find "mecca". For one, I don't have the funds and second, I need to be sure that there will be EMPLOYMENT paying DECENT wages if and when I do move to a new place. I relocated from NYC to Los Angeles three years ago with no job waiting, because I erroneously thought that I would be able to land permanent employment in a few months. Three years and numerous temp jobs later it hasn't happened.

As we all know, the foundation to a successful LIVING experience depends on finding a job. Once the job is established, then everything else falls into place (i.e., apartment, savings, travel, etc.). If I had kids, then the educational system would be a big deal, but thank God I don't. Just the thought of what they would have to deal with today and in the future appears frightening.

Tennessee sounds and looks like a BEAUTIFUL place to live, but for ME it won't mean anything if I can't support myself.

Old 04-18-2007, 03:11 PM

9 posts, read 29,609 times
Quote:
I'm sure market research tells businesses where to target their advertising. I keep reading about all of these Floridians that see Eric Estrada hawking Tellico Village, I think. I have never seen Eric Estrada in any ad/commercial. I don't even know where Tellico Village is located in TN. Obviously, I'm not Tellico Village material, whatever that is. The ad I keep seeing on TV (in my part of MD) is The Villages in Florida. I think I could sing the theme song I see it so much, so you have to wonder. Are there a lot of Floridians moving to Sevier County and a lot of Michigan people moving to Cumberland County, for example, because those are the best places to be for them or because someone targeted them for those respective areas of Tennessee and they were sold. Are there a lot of people from my area of Maryland in The Villages in Florida? I know The Villages ad doesn't say "a tornado just blew through here" but I'm curious if the Estrada advertising plays up the shortcomings of Florida (versus TN) and who else (other states) is seeing those ads.

You know, why didn't Floridians go to Loudon County but Michiganers did?
They are also running that Ad in Massachusetts after 10pm at night .

Old 04-18-2007, 03:41 PM

2,106 posts, read 5,773,799 times
I'd say that the situation in TN could be a lot worse. Has anyone checked out the Raleigh/Durahm Forum? That place is SWAMPED with people. There must be at least 10 times the number of posts compared to all of the TN city sites. If you look at the posts, I swear half of them are from NJ,NY,MA, and so on with the rest from CA, FL and elsewhere. Raleigh is on it's merry way to becoming yet one more east coast wasteland. This was all due to years of gushing reviews and articles written about it as being the " best place to live" and so on. All it takes is a sweet article spread all over the New York Times or Money magazine about "how great" such and such TN is. People will believe whatever they read. So here they will come like a a flood.It makes me concerned that NC is our neighbor and come the day that New England fills NC then the swarm will be off for the next cheap Southern state. Who's next? TN? SC? KY?

As for me, I'm not worried about it because frankly the housing market is tanking up North and sooner or later there will be little equity people will be able to cash out with in order to move/retire/etc etc to NC, TN, and so on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee