U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 03:10 PM

203 posts, read 539,436 times
Default Cost to build in Middle Tennessee?

Does anyone know what the cost would be per square foot to build or remodel in Middle Tenn, specifically the Putnam County area? We'd ultimately like a 4 bedroom house, but if the price is right would consider 3, eventually adding on. Don't want to discount the option of buying land and building our own.

I have to say, I've gotten sooooo much great info on this forum. Thanks to all of you who share your experience, opinions and knowledge. The biggest problem I have now is that I want to move NOW but have to wait a whole year at least! Thanks again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2007, 03:28 PM

2,062 posts, read 3,367,139 times
Does anyone know what the cost would be per square foot to build or remodel in Middle Tenn, specifically the Putnam County area?

In this part of the country, that question is somewhat vaugue. In California of course there isn't a big difference in price between crack house and the lil' old lady's house across the street.They're all expensive.

But in TN, condition of a house can make a BIG difference.Even within the same area, prices can vary wildly. Most rural parts off TN have an extremely broad mix of small old homes, big old homes, and totally new small and big homes. They can be right next to one another too.

So if you are willing to remodel/ restore, older homes seem to be a better deal. That and you can slowly do the work yourself.

Old 03-15-2007, 03:34 PM

6,300 posts, read 15,250,865 times
There's a lot of factors that go into that estimate: size, utility costs, quality of construction, finishes-both interior and exterior, etc.

If you want just a rough ballpark figure, use $100/sf, exclusive of land and utility tap fees. It could be a little less, or a lot more.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-15-2007 at 04:15 PM..

Old 03-15-2007, 06:56 PM

8,961 posts, read 20,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAtoGA View Post
Does anyone know what the cost would be per square foot to build or remodel in Middle Tenn, specifically the Putnam County area? We'd ultimately like a 4 bedroom house, but if the price is right would consider 3, eventually adding on. Don't want to discount the option of buying land and building our own.

I have to say, I've gotten sooooo much great info on this forum. Thanks to all of you who share your experience, opinions and knowledge. The biggest problem I have now is that I want to move NOW but have to wait a whole year at least! Thanks again.
Putnam County's web site does not have a listing of building permits issued, but the city of Cookeville's web site does. However, they don't list square footage anymore with their building permit summaries. So the most recent record I have is from 2005. Back then, new homes built in Cookeville averaged $60-65 per square foot. The larger homes were less per square foot than the smaller ones. In the December 2005 building permit summaries you can see the figures which range from a 3078 square foot home at $50 per square foot to an 1800 square foot home that's being built for $67 per square foot. (There were 19 very nice condos built that month at $63 per square foot.)

http://www.cookeville-tn.org/pc/bpsummaries/bparchive/2005/122005.htm (broken link)

Those prices are just for the structures, of course, and do not include the land, although they should include site preparation since that's part of the building permit. Land in rural Putnam County would be cheaper than in the city of Cookeville.

Old 03-16-2007, 03:42 PM

24 posts, read 78,000 times
You should be able to purchase a house like you are looking for near Cookeville for less than 250,000. It should cost less than 90 per square feet to build in this area.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Putnam County's web site does not have a listing of building permits issued, but the city of Cookeville's web site does. However, they don't list square footage anymore with their building permit summaries. So the most recent record I have is from 2005. Back then, new homes built in Cookeville averaged $60-65 per square foot. The larger homes were less per square foot than the smaller ones. In the December 2005 building permit summaries you can see the figures which range from a 3078 square foot home at $50 per square foot to an 1800 square foot home that's being built for $67 per square foot. (There were 19 very nice condos built that month at $63 per square foot.)
That's a good post, and the figures are probably better than the ballpark figure I gave you. One comment however, the actually cost to build a house is quite often more than the building permit figure. Also (and I'm not sure how well this applies to that area), the "average" figures are skewed to the low side because the majority of houses in many areas are "spec built" and that is somewhat different than a custom built house. Still, if you adjust the figures JMT posted for inflation, you should be in the ballpark.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:19 PM

8,961 posts, read 20,774,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
That's a good post, and the figures are probably better than the ballpark figure I gave you. One comment however, the actually cost to build a house is quite often more than the building permit figure. Also (and I'm not sure how well this applies to that area), the "average" figures are skewed to the low side because the majority of houses in many areas are "spec built" and that is somewhat different than a custom built house. Still, if you adjust the figures JMT posted for inflation, you should be in the ballpark.
That's very true, plus I'm sure that builders low-ball their estimates to the city so the fees will be lower. And who knows what those construction cost estimates include. Drapes? Appliances? Flooring? Still, I think one could build a pretty sweet house in Cookeville for less than $200k.

Old 03-16-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Still, I think one could build a pretty sweet house in Cookeville for less than $200k.
I would agree with that, even though I don't have any direct knowledge of that area.

Old 07-02-2010, 12:31 AM

2 posts, read 17,735 times
100.00 per sqayre foot What are you working in??? Beverly Hills?

Old 07-02-2010, 12:33 AM

2 posts, read 17,735 times
Default What?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
There's a lot of factors that go into that estimate: size, utility costs, quality of construction, finishes-both interior and exterior, etc.

If you want just a rough ballpark figure, use $100/sf, exclusive of land and utility tap fees. It could be a little less, or a lot more.
What? 100.00 per square ft?
This is not Beverly Hills. Are you a contractor fom California?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee