Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 09:38 PM

630 posts, read 2,427,414 times

Advertisements

Ok, so which one city do you like the best, or rather do you think we would like... that is kid friendly (age 7), has at least one decent Elementary School, and some kind of sport that she could play, like baseball or soccer...

I checked the crime and it's very very low in all of the areas.
A town that we could grow old in, and that would be forgiving of this Southern girl, who sounds like a Northerner to Southerners, but, sounds like a Southerner to Northerners ....LOL....

So, which town is it?
Pleasant View
Pegram
Ashland City
Chapmansboro
I dropped Kingston Springs from the list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Pleasant view doesn't. Pegram doesn't. Chapmansboro doesn't that I know of.
Ashland City has a "Mayberry-like" downtown.
Kingston Spring doesn't have a downtown, but it's a self-contained community, of sorts. Still, that's in the wrong direction from where you want to be.

Last edited by MomsTn; 03-16-2007 at 09:40 PM.. Reason: corrected spelling :O)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 01:27 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,159,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNBound View Post
Ok, so which one city do you like the best, or rather do you think we would like... that is kid friendly (age 7), has at least one decent Elementary School, and some kind of sport that she could play, like baseball or soccer...

I checked the crime and it's very very low in all of the areas.
A town that we could grow old in, and that would be forgiving of this Southern girl, who sounds like a Northerner to Southerners, but, sounds like a Southerner to Northerners ....LOL....

So, which town is it?
Pleasant View
Pegram
Ashland City
Chapmansboro
I dropped Kingston Springs from the list.
I probably should have mentioned that Pegram is probably also not in the location that's best for you. If you look at a map of Cheatham County, you'll see that both Kingston Springs and Pegram are on the south side of the county, further away from Springfield and/or Clarksville.

Of the place you listed, I only think of Ashland City as an actual town. The rest are communities. You could also add Cooperstown, which is an incorporated town (it has its own mayor, police force, etc.) but it doesn't really have a downtown in the classic sense.

As for schools, I'm not expert on that. I think the public elementary schools in that area are okay; not perfect, not terrible. There are also some private schools around, such as Pleasant View Christian. It's when you get to discussing the high schools were the real trouble begins. I would guess that the high schools in Robertson and Cheatham Counties are okay, probably even Clarksville; it gets to be a lot more iffy when you're talking about the high schools in Nashville/Davidson County. Some of them have some real problems.

The extracurricular activities (art, music) might be limited in Cheatham Country. I'm not sure about sports in schools for kids that age, but there is all sorts of kids soccer leagues and things like that around. Kids soccer has become a big thing around here. Sports shouldn't be too much of a problem.

I think if I were you, I would start at the Springfield exit at I-24 (Pleasant View and Cooperstown are right there, CT to the north of I-24, PV to the south). It's only a ten-minute drive to Ashland City from there, and only about fifteen-minues to Springfield. Clarksville is further up I-24 but it's not a bad drive. If those area didn't suit, I would go further up I-24 towards Clarksville, looking at the various area off the exits. I like the Port Royal community in Montgomery County, but that's just me. Montgomery County probably has more of an arts program in the schools, but I don't really know what's available. And, of course, you could look at Springfield itself.

I don't think you need to worry about being a "northerner". That really isn't a factor at all in the northern part of middle Tennessee. I see that discussed on this board a lot. The only time it's much of a factor at all is very small places in "remote areas" or if someone is the stereotypical "loud-mouthed New Yorker" (no offense meant to the many fine folks in NYC). Everyone here knows people from all over. And a lot of people who were stationed at Ft. Campbell from other areas of the country end up staying. I have some friends like that.

Last edited by alleycat; 03-17-2007 at 02:02 AM..

Old 03-17-2007, 07:56 AM

630 posts, read 2,427,414 times
Ok, I'll take Pegram and Kingston Springs off of my list.
We don't necessarily have to have an Arts program. My daughter sings, and what I have found out so far, is that there are plenty of places for her to sing.
I also found a really good dance school.
She just started piano, and the dance school also has excellent instructors for piano.

No, I'm not a Northerner... I'm a Southern girl.
I've just been in the North too long.
When we lived in Idaho, it was fine.
When we moved to Minnesota, they would always ask me where I was from.
I would tell them that we moved from Idaho, and they would say, no, it's not that. It sounds like a mixture of Southern and something else.
Well, that's probably because I have lived all over the United States, and picked up a little bit here and a little bit there.

When I went to my Moms funeral and all of us kids got together, it wasn't long before I slipped back into my own southern sound.
My two daughters kept asking what was wrong with Mom, and why was she talking like that.

So, that's why I say that Northern people think I sound Southern with a twist of something, and Southern people probably think I sound Northern.
Not sure what the Southern people think, I've never really asked... LOL...

I know we'll be just fine... and if we live near Clarksville, well, I was raised in a Military household, so, I would adjust very easily to being in a military community.

Oh decisions, decisions....

Thanks for all of your help....

~SueEllen~

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I probably should have mentioned that Pegram is probably also not in the location that's best for you. If you look at a map of Cheatham County, you'll see that both Kingston Springs and Pegram are on the south side of the county, further away from Springfield and/or Clarksville.

Of the place you listed, I only think of Ashland City as an actual town. The rest are communities. You could also add Cooperstown, which is an incorporated town (it has its own mayor, police force, etc.) but it doesn't really have a downtown in the classic sense.

Last edited by MomsTn; 03-17-2007 at 07:58 AM.. Reason: forgot a word

Old 03-17-2007, 08:35 PM

25 posts, read 100,498 times
Question Clarksville vs. Oak Ridge Tennessee

I have an oppurtunity to move into a house in the Clarksville/Montgomery county area. From what I have found on the internet, Clarksville seems like a really nice place. However, when you type in the zip code of 37040, the crime rate table on the city data page looks atrocious (sp?). Some of the postings are not that positive either regarding the Clarksville area.

However, there is a school in Oak Ridge that I wouldn't mind going to.

Which place would be better? Is Clarksville really that bad? Can someone give me some insight?

Old 03-26-2007, 03:19 AM

44 posts, read 420,367 times
Unhappy Clarksville crime rate shooting up right now

Clarksville crime rate is going up so fast right now it is unreal. There are some areas not as bad as others but it is growing fast in the whole town. It is just growing to fast, way to many drugs and thousands of families being split up by a parent going to war then coming back with the effects of war and being away from their families and the changes that have happened in the family while they were gone. Alot of people getting out of the army and looseing income or income going to half or less of what it was. The divorce rate is growing fast.
There are a couple high schools that I would try to stay away from. But all three of my children went to one of the ones everyone says is the worst or 2nd worst and they all are very successful people. That was a few years ago.

I really like to visit Ashland City but if someone works at a post office on the north side of town that would be quite a drive. The traffic on 41a is really bad at certain times of the day.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:21 AM

44 posts, read 420,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear76 View Post
I have an oppurtunity to move into a house in the Clarksville/Montgomery county area. From what I have found on the internet, Clarksville seems like a really nice place. However, when you type in the zip code of 37040, the crime rate table on the city data page looks atrocious (sp?). Some of the postings are not that positive either regarding the Clarksville area.

However, there is a school in Oak Ridge that I wouldn't mind going to.

Which place would be better? Is Clarksville really that bad? Can someone give me some insight?
That zip code covers a large area with sevral diffarent kinds of areas. What Street is the house on or a real close street.

Old 04-21-2007, 08:25 PM

25 posts, read 100,498 times
cory drive

Old 04-21-2007, 09:05 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,159,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carebear76 View Post
cory drive
Cory Drive is out in the St. Bethlehem area. It's not the best area in some ways, but it's not the worst. Much of the growth in Clarksville in the past twenty years has been in the St. Bethlehem area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Nashville