U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2009, 02:10 PM

22 posts, read 73,029 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of relocating to Jackson and have seen a lot of negativity on the crime. Is it really that bad? Most of the threads I've read are older ones. Thanks.

Last edited by Annette99; 02-17-2009 at 02:28 PM.. Reason: spelling error in title
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 04:22 PM
B-2

57 posts, read 150,710 times
According to the Morgan Quitno Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities of 2006, the city was ranked as the number 10 most dangerous city in the United States. In 2007 it was not on this list. 1993 was one of the most violent years with over 20 homicides; 2005 Jackson was in the top 5 for violent crime.
According to a CNN story on November 18, 2007 many experts have criticized the Morgan Quitno Top 25 Most Dangerous Cities of 2006. "You're not comparing apples and oranges; you're comparing watermelons and grapes," said Rob Casey, who heads the FBI section that puts out the Uniform Crime Report that provides the data for the Quitno report. The FBI posted a statement on its Web site criticizing such use of its statistics. "These rough rankings provide no insight into the numerous variables that mold crime in a particular town, city, county, state, or region," the FBI said. "Consequently, they lead to simplistic and/or incomplete analyses that often create misleading perceptions adversely affecting communities and their residents." [5]

Old 02-18-2009, 04:16 AM

Thanks, I'll try to feel a little bit less apprehensive.

Old 02-18-2009, 11:58 AM

7 posts, read 15,348 times
Default Moving to Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette99 View Post
Thanks, I'll try to feel a little bit less apprehensive.
Have you thought of moving anywhere else in Tennessee?

Last edited by Marcie Lanz; 02-18-2009 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: want to subscribe to the thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:03 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
Crime in Jackson is largely localized -- meaning if the area looks bad, it's probably bad, and you shouldn't go there. Jackson has several good neighborhoods and shopping areas with very little crime.

Visit the area and use the good sense God gave you when picking a place to live.

Old 02-18-2009, 05:20 PM

7,276 posts, read 15,283,732 times
When we lived in Martin, we'd be in Jackson at least once a week for shopping and a taste of civilization. Can't say I ever felt unsafe in any of the areas around the north side commercial areas.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
When we lived in Martin, we'd be in Jackson at least once a week for shopping and a taste of civilization. Can't say I ever felt unsafe in any of the areas around the north side commercial areas.
Thanks, we've already bought the tickets so we will be checking out a house and the neighborhood over Easter.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:13 AM

328 posts, read 877,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annette99 View Post
I am thinking of relocating to Jackson and have seen a lot of negativity on the crime. Is it really that bad? Most of the threads I've read are older ones. Thanks.
yea Jackson's suppose to be pretty bad as far as crime goes. I've been there a bit considering it's got one of the closest, decent malls near me (it being an hour and a half away) but we usually drive the hour and a half to Paducah, KY's mall. They're crime apparently isn't that much different, but we prefer it over Jackson. Jackson has more population so you have to worry about traffic jams at certain times of the day, and people tend to drive faster there. Paducah's got less population and I've never experienced a traffic jam. In neither of these cities when I've been there I haven't felt in danger, and haven't witnessed anything dangerous. Then again when I'm in Jackson we're always around their mall area, and also around the Wal-Mart on Vann Drive, so I know that area atleast doesn't seem to have crime. Personally though, unless you have some job that'd be making you move here, I'd just move somewhere else. This part of Tennessee gets boring pretty fast, believe me, I've lived here all my life, and am looking forward to moving away.

Old 02-22-2009, 07:31 AM

1,715 posts, read 6,285,686 times
General rule of thumb is to stay north of I-40.

Really though, most of the crimes in Jackson are not random, just like anywhere else. Don't do drugs and associate with riff-raff and you'll be fine.

I lived with my parents in one of the worst parts of Jackson for about 7 years and it's not like we were victims of crime constantly.

I did get jumped once and our house was broken into once, but from what you read on hear you'd think that would be an every month occurrence.

Old 02-22-2009, 04:46 PM

Mike, is east main north of I 40. Don't do drugs, real home body and into gardening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee