U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 07:34 PM

625 posts, read 3,980,754 times

Advertisements

Just spreading the word...if you have a TN handgun carry permit, The Commercial Appeal feels necessary to publish your private information in an online database. I'm not happy about it at all - I'm not a criminal-just a law-biding citizen who has a clean background and has undergone background checks in order to exercise my right to protect myself from all the thugs in this world. I could see the database used to "shop" for homeowners to rob who probably have guns in the house. I see no legitimate reason to have this information online other than to demonize permit holders in some way. It's right under the "Public Safety" heading grouped in with the Sex Offender registry and Hate Crimes...thanks!

There are a lot of people not happy about this-it's going around the gun boards and many people have already contacted their lawmakers (to privatize this info) and the newspaper editor. The Tennessean (the Nashville newspaper) tried this a few years ago, but it was down in 4 hours when they were absolutely bombarded with calls, emails, advertiser boycotts, etc....The Commercial Appeal is not backing down, except that they originally had full addresses of people, now just zip code which still makes it easy to look people up online-it took me 5 sec to get my full address online using just last name and zip. I guess they will just have to experience a hit to their revenues when the negative publicity and advertiser boycotts are in full swing. I can't believe they've gotten this far in Memphis of all places-the TN city with the largest number of permit holders-WITH GOOD REASON!

Tennessee Handgun Carry Permits : Commercial Appeal

a couple of threads already discussing the issue with contact info and advertiser boycotts :
Handgun Carry Permit Database - Tennessee Gun Owners
Memphis Paper Database of CHP - Glock Talk

FIRST TENNESSEE is a big supporter/advertiser with The Commercial Appeal...people are already starting to cancel accounts/removing deposits and telling them why they're doing so.

Last edited by scottv; 02-19-2009 at 07:52 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 08:32 PM

165 posts, read 401,257 times
Okay, this really sucks!! I found myself.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:14 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
It's a state-issued permit, which by definition means it is public information. Seems reasonable to me.

Old 02-20-2009, 07:29 AM

3,381 posts, read 11,810,245 times
I don't see anything wrong with knowing who out there owns a gun. If you're not doing anything illegal with it, why would you care? Are you worried that people are more likely to break into your house...now that they know you're armed?

Old 02-20-2009, 08:12 AM

1,383 posts, read 2,064,518 times
This sounds like what happened after prop. 8 in Calif.
A new tactic ment to cause any problem or irritation that it can.
Rub some ointment on the place that's sore then go on with things.
Congrats. to all permit holders!

Old 02-20-2009, 09:32 AM

369 posts, read 1,229,409 times
It's called a Handgun Carry Permit. This is the state link - Handgun Carry Permits. In other states it goes by other names and there are reciprocity agreements between many states. It's a program that was intended to replace the old patchwork licensing done thru local Sheriff's Offices, where there were no uniform standards.

I do not have one. I had a business associate at one time who did, and I remember he resented it when the CA published his name and I think his address.

I did seriously think about it at a time many yrs ago when I worked in a building frequently until early morning hours and had to leave alone into a big empty and dark parking lot out near the interstate. It was a lonely feeling being the only one left in the building and hearing that heavy door closing and locking behind you and knowing you had to make it to your car and wondering who you might meet on the way.

There are also times when doing the two mile exercise walk late at night on the street, the thought of having something in my pocket other than my hand would be comforting; meaning I'm not physically equipped or fast enough to fight a bunch of young knife wielding assailants or escape them should they pull up beside me and pile out of the car. Something like that almost happened not long ago. Luckily a neighbor walking a large dog showed up and the car sped away. And I won't get into listing this stuff, but many of my neighbors have been robbed and their houses broken into.

It was late 1990s I think when the CA started doing this. Actually it is public info so technically it's fair game. But, they are not required to do so. It's something they have made a conscious choice about. And, there is a huge amount of other public material they don't print. If one is fair about this and considering the paper's leanings, the most logical explanation is what the original poster suggests, i.e., that it's a political statement by the CA.

If all persons in Memphis who are gunowners were listed there wouldn't be room in the paper for much else. That's not practical and the paper doesn't know who they all are anyway. But these particular gunowners are an easier subject to vent their disapproval on. I think that's a fair summary of what it is.

At any rate, like I said I don't have a stake in this fight because I don't have a permit. And I hope things don't get to where that decision has to be re-visited. But I certainly understand the concern of those who are licensed.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:01 AM

1,703 posts, read 5,544,813 times
Well, if you're a state employee, your name, occupation, and salary get published in The Tennessean every year. You can go to The Tennessean's website right now and find out how much your favorite UofM professor is making. As a former city employee, all my private data--address, resume, salary, etc.--was regularly posted on several websites. (The salary data, btw, typically evoked laughter from my friends -- rather than envy or anger.)

Public material is just that -- public.

And the CA can have whatever political leanings it chooses. It's a private enterprise. It can pick and choose whatever public info it wants to publish. Again, it's a private enterprise.

I'm sure people who are down and out and have to file bankruptcy would rather not go through the humiliation of having their names and financial data published in newspapers and on websites, but that's part of the package.

Old 02-20-2009, 06:24 PM

625 posts, read 3,980,754 times
yeah, I don't see why permit holders would take issue with this:
1. put in a database like we're criminals for "public safety" - why not list all traffic offenders online so we'll know who not to let kids ride with and stay away from on the street?
2. search by zip code, find all the gun owners, find address easily-all online-narrow down burglary targets likely to net stolen guns (people do go to work, not at home all day jeez)-except for my house, I have an armed guard who sits inside waiting to blast any intruder.
3. these days I could see employers using it to discriminate against a potential job candidate

sure The Commercial Appeal is free to tick off anyone they want, but will just have to deal with the consequences I guess.

Old 02-21-2009, 11:41 AM

62 posts, read 211,644 times
Default no problem

it's a public STATE document

should it be a secret who has a STATE ISSUED LICENSE ? my opinion is heck no

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM

93 posts, read 307,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbob View Post
I don't see anything wrong with knowing who out there owns a gun. If you're not doing anything illegal with it, why would you care? Are you worried that people are more likely to break into your house...now that they know you're armed?
It is a state issued liscense I understand that and no I do not think the bad guys are going to come looking for me but it's foolish in my mind because I do carry and the fact of the matter is there are very few people that Know...er knew now. Case in point, my in-laws had no idea I carried and decided after looking it up that I needed a lecture which I did not.

Not to mention being in the Bible belt we live in there are many oppossing thoughts on this where there might be unjust pressures from people at work. So am I offended, No. It just irks me that the CA felt the need to post my information out there along with countless others. Next thing they might want us to have bumper stuckers that indicate we carry
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee