Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2007, 03:11 PM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC Kim View Post
Bones, Thanks for the information about Cookeville's potential HD. We had looked at some real estate there and I was interested in that town because they did have college there.
From what I understand, Home Depot is going to go near Sam's Club. The Cumberland Business Journal reported it last month. Also next to Sam's Club a Marriott (Fairfield) is being built as well as the new 12-screen movie theater. I'm glad to see that part of town being developed, and I'm glad that Lowe's will finally have some competition.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2007, 07:53 PM

15,205 posts, read 12,070,953 times
I like HD better than Lowes.

Old 04-23-2007, 08:48 PM

14 posts, read 54,803 times
Default Small Town TN Girl

Hello,
I live near Sparta Tn, a small town between Cookeville and Crossville.

Crossville is a retirement town, nice town but majority are retirees. Cookeville is a college town, growing fast! It is really enlarging. You will find most people in Tn are friendly and welcoming. Sparta, is a small hometown feel, Pretty layed back, There have been several moved in out of state in my mothers neighborhood. They always make them feel welcome. Getting together at each other home, helping them to find things of interest, anything needed Cookeville and Crossville both have great hospitals. I would pick Cookeville over Crossville. Great heart doctors.
I would never think of leaving Tn. I love the mountains and the plain country people.
Homes and land are a little cheaper in Sparta area than in Cookeville and Crossville as well as the land tax.
Just e-mail me with questions on this area and I will be grad to answer them, sorry I am not in this forum to often, to busy with my job.
kdavis_erg@yahoo.com

Old 04-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Default Other web sights for Real Estate in Tn

Cookeville, Crossville, Sparta, Baxter, (several towns)
www.Realtor.com (broken link), Moderator cut: links

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry P View Post
Try looking at Moderator cut: link listings. For Monteagle area look at Grundy, and Marion Counties. There are extensive hiking and outdoor activities available you are right in the middle of the South Cumberland recreation area. There are many acreage tracts available in this area at very reasonable prices.
Barry P

Old 04-23-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Sparta Tn.

Sparta Tn has 10 out of the 11 not quite that close to Nashville, Knoxville, or Chattanooga.

I will never keep up with you in this fast mooving forum.
e-mail with questions I would love for you to see our town
kdavis_erg@yahoo.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
For our retirement years, my wife and I are looking for a change from what we are experiencing in California. Here is what we are looking for:

1. Friendly people who will welcome and accept newcomers
2. Slower paced lifestyles.
3. Lower cost of living
4. People with more conservative values
5. A less populated state
6. Small town atmosphere
7. An area where boating, fishing, and hiking are possible
8. 2 to 5 acres of land where we can build our home
9. An area within 30 to 60 minutes of Knoxville, Nashville, or Chattanoga
10. An area that provides opportunities for shopping without having to drive to one of the large cities.
11. An area where good health care is available.

I am originally from Louisiana and I would like to return to the south. We visited Tennessee a few years ago and like the state. We will be visiting Tennessee again for a few days in August, so we will be looking at different places. I've read articles on places such as Norris, Maryville, Lenoir City, Crossville, Cookeville, Franklin, and Paris, TN. All of these places were rated as great retirement communities. If anyone would like to comment on any of these places or any other places I should consider, please do so. Any suggestions will be appreciated. Thank you to JMT, alleycat, and LauraC for your comments.

Old 04-23-2007, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdavis View Post
Hello,
I live near Sparta Tn, a small town between Cookeville and Crossville.

Crossville is a retirement town, nice town but majority are retirees. Cookeville is a college town, growing fast! It is really enlarging. You will find most people in Tn are friendly and welcoming. Sparta, is a small hometown feel, Pretty layed back, There have been several moved in out of state in my mothers neighborhood. They always make them feel welcome. Getting together at each other home, helping them to find things of interest, anything needed Cookeville and Crossville both have great hospitals. I would pick Cookeville over Crossville. Great heart doctors.
I would never think of leaving Tn. I love the mountains and the plain country people.
Homes and land are a little cheaper in Sparta area than in Cookeville and Crossville as well as the land tax.
Just e-mail me with questions on this area and I will be grad to answer them, sorry I am not in this forum to often, to busy with my job.
kdavis_erg@yahoo.com
My brother used to live just off the Square in downtown Sparta and really enjoyed it. And I have to say that some of the most beautiful hiking in Tennessee is at Virgin Falls east of Sparta. I've spent many wonderful weekends camping and hiking at Virgin Falls.

I know of a lot of people who have retired to "Cookeville" but actually live in White County because land in White County is generally cheaper, and with a four-lane freeway (Hwy 111) they're only a few minutes from Cookeville.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:47 PM

59 posts, read 219,095 times
So does this mean that if my values are less conservitive I should not be considering tennessee as a possible relocation state?

Old 04-27-2007, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitch1156 View Post
So does this mean that if my values are less conservitive I should not be considering tennessee as a possible relocation state?
I think it depends on where you are and just how liberal you are. College towns would probably have more liberal people than non-college towns, as a general rule. But otherwise, if you want the benefits of living in a small Southern town, you're probably going to have to deal with a more conservative populace.

Old 05-28-2007, 05:06 PM

7 posts, read 26,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jguillot View Post
For our retirement years, my wife and I are looking for a change from what we are experiencing in California. Here is what we are looking for:

1. Friendly people who will welcome and accept newcomers
2. Slower paced lifestyles.
3. Lower cost of living
4. People with more conservative values
5. A less populated state
6. Small town atmosphere
7. An area where boating, fishing, and hiking are possible
8. 2 to 5 acres of land where we can build our home
9. An area within 30 to 60 minutes of Knoxville, Nashville, or Chattanoga
10. An area that provides opportunities for shopping without having to drive to one of the large cities.
11. An area where good health care is available.
This is a really good list! I like the Monteagle/Sewanee/Tracy City area because it has pretty much all of this plus:
- It's close the Sewanee's University of the South.
- it's not close to Knoxville, but roughly an hour from Chattanooga, Huntsville and Nashville (a bit more to Nashville). I moved here recently and love it!

Old 05-28-2007, 06:09 PM

2,709 posts, read 2,282,208 times
Hey everyone,

I agree that this list reflects a lot of what my wife and I are looking for in a retirement area. After living in NY all my life(18 years on Long Island), a slower pace and friendly, well meaning people top our list. I have been very taken by the sincerity and helpfulness of the people on this thread. If you are a sample of Tennessee hospitality, I feel good about a future with neighbors like you. I always felt that you can have the nicest house in town, but one bad neighbor can really ruin your quality of life. If Tennessee reflects the ideals of respect and the Golden Rule that I was brought up on, my interest sure is peaked!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee