Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:51 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinman313 View Post
I have heard several different stories on this "Perk Testing" I realize it has too be done."BUT" when I here for the number of bedrooms I question why?Why not the number of bathrooms? If you plan too build a 4 bedroom 2 bath house that some what limits you too the lot. Then I have be in touch with realtors that have a existing manufactured home on a lot that was Perk Tested 5 years ago for a 4 bed room, but the home is trashed and I want to put another 3 bedroom manufactured home on the same lot,Now it will only Perk Test for a 2 bedroom?
How can this change just in 5 years, Or is this normal...... Is their a time limit on "Perk Test"?
They use bedrooms as the standard because that is usually an indication of how many people will be living in the house. Bathrooms are irrelevant. We all have seen public restrooms that have 2 stalls to service a line of 25 women!!

And, often, if a new building is being erected, a new perk test is required. Standards for time limits on the perk change (maybe from a 30 minute to a 20 minute at 10 inches deep perk hole or even the depth of the hole can be changed with new regulations). Also, the number of bedrooms will dictate the size of your septic tank. The more bedrooms, the larger the tank must be.

You also have to consider if the siting of the new structure is going to be in a different spot on the property, where's the well, if any, etc. And, drain fields do fail many times - so, a new perk tests is required.

Some states or individual towns require an alternate drain field site with the initial perk approval in case of failure of the first site after some time (usually happens to a border line passing field). It doesn't just come down to "does the water drain into the soil away from a water source?". (Boy, do I love to talk dirty sewage or what?)

Actually, I worked for a Massachusett's DPW in engineering and handled all of the perk tests results through our Dept. of Health. So, know a little bit how it all works.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2007, 03:58 PM

24,766 posts, read 28,505,227 times
Thumbs up Perk Test

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemthornton View Post
They use bedrooms as the standard because that is usually an indication of how many people will be living in the house. Bathrooms are irrelevant. We all have seen public restrooms that have 2 stalls to service a line of 25 women!!

And, often, if a new building is being erected, a new perk test is required. Standards for time limits on the perk change (maybe from a 30 minute to a 20 minute at 10 inches deep perk hole or even the depth of the hole can be changed with new regulations). Also, the number of bedrooms will dictate the size of your septic tank. The more bedrooms, the larger the tank must be.

You also have to consider if the siting of the new structure is going to be in a different spot on the property, where's the well, if any, etc. And, drain fields do fail many times - so, a new perk tests is required.

Some states or individual towns require an alternate drain field site with the initial perk approval in case of failure of the first site after some time (usually happens to a border line passing field). It doesn't just come down to "does the water drain into the soil away from a water source?". (Boy, do I love to talk dirty sewage or what?)

Actually, I worked for a Massachusetts DPW in engineering and handled all of the perk tests results through our Dept. of Health. So, know a little bit how it all works.
When I said time I meant every year or as needed,I guess living in Fl and on a sand base I gotten use too "Perk Test" that very seldom fail.It's again buyer be ware situation....... That's why I like Real Estate Attorney's .............

Old 09-13-2007, 06:13 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,130,980 times
You are so right, Tinman. We can be so easily bowled over by all of the bureacracy and so-called requirements that there is no time to enjoy that new house. And, don't even talk about all of the fees!

I guess there really are some good attorneys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee