Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 01:22 PM

2 posts, read 6,193 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband is another one who has been affected by unemployment. The plant he worked at for 20 years shut down in October and we held out hope he'd find another job but he hasn't. We have visited the Smokey Mountains for many years and have often thought of moving to that area. Besides the beauty of the mountains the people are very helpful and friendly. We are Nascar fans also and have gone to the races at Charlotte so have thought about that area too. It's scary to start over when you have a family to take care of but we are being left with no choice. Any information that would help us decide what's best for our family would be helpful. We have 2 high school age kids and 2 dogs. I've noticed looking for places to rent there weren't many places accepting pets. For example how's the economy? also not being in this situation before I'm not even sure what questions to ask you. So any information will be so much appreciated. Thank you for reading my post.

I guess to be more clear as to the information we'd like are there jobs available in the Sevierville, Pigeon Forge area? How are the High schools in the area? How about Charlotte ? My husband did shipping and receiving for the 20 years at the factory. I'm new at doing postings can you tell? :-) From reading other postings people seem to be very friendly and helpful on here with information. So any info will be appreciated as we try to make a decision as to what to do. Someone may have gone through relocating and know of things we need to know before moving.

Last edited by mbmouse; 04-02-2009 at 08:00 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 12:47 AM

1,049 posts, read 3,995,677 times
Sorry about your layoff, lots of that going on right now.

East TN = lower cost of living

Charlotte will be greater chance of finding a job, more people.

As far as moving, finding a job and dealing with pets, been there done that, don't want to do it again. Pets will be a problem, most places don't allow them and the one's that do will want to limit to one dog only.

Good luck,

Tony

Old 04-02-2009, 07:38 AM

458 posts, read 1,267,080 times
I heard on an NPR story recently that Charlotte, like much of the rest of the country, is slowing down and that folks are moving there not realizing the job situation isn't that great. Current unemployment is 10% or so. Same deal in TN especially in places that attract vacationers as potential residents. Unfortunately, you have the same ideas (vacation here, like it, decide to move here) as many folks and the result is greater competition for the few available jobs. The Sevier county area is obviously a service-based community and even Dollywood is feeling the pinch.

I would definitely research thoroughly and (as you are doing) and have a job lined up before up and moving. I realize you have already been affected by unemployment -- I'm sorry to hear that -- but I would hate for you to uproot your family to move to your favorite vacation spot yet be in the same position in which you started.

Good luck.

Old 04-02-2009, 07:46 AM

7 posts, read 16,782 times
Default relocation to pleasant view tn area

my family is also looking at relocating in 2 yrs..our son will graduate..we are coming to TN in June to scout out towns and have college tours set for him. I know it will be hard to be hired if not living in TN. Any advice on relocating from out of state? Also he is looking at school in Clarksville, Nashville or Knoxville...any input on these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:09 AM

13,337 posts, read 39,744,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
And there are more people in Charlotte looking for jobs.

Knoxville's MSA unemployment rate is 7.9%. Charlotte's is 11.7%. And with the DOE's announcement of 1500 new jobs coming to Oak Ridge, hopefully the economic situation around here won't get as bad as it is in Charlotte.

Old 04-02-2009, 09:45 PM

204 posts, read 873,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlandDee View Post
my family is also looking at relocating in 2 yrs..our son will graduate..we are coming to TN in June to scout out towns and have college tours set for him. I know it will be hard to be hired if not living in TN. Any advice on relocating from out of state? Also he is looking at school in Clarksville, Nashville or Knoxville...any input on these areas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Austin Peay State University is the pride of Clarksville. The Pleasantview area would be a great area if you are looking for a place between Clarksville and Nashville with a moderate cost of living.

Old 04-02-2009, 11:02 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,359,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1790 View Post
Sorry about your layoff, lots of that going on right now.

East TN = lower cost of living

As far as moving, finding a job and dealing with pets, been there done that, don't want to do it again. Pets will be a problem, most places don't allow them and the one's that do will want to limit to one dog only.

Good luck,

Tony
Tony, I wish this were true, but it simply isn't - and we've got to get the word out before even more people make the mistake of coming to Charlotte only to find themselves in desparate straights.

Charlotte is a WONDERFUL city to live in - but our current unemployment rate is one of the highest in the country for large cities - 11.7% right now, expected to hit 13% at least by summer. We have a VERY large, educated and very experienced work force here now who can't get jobs themselves. Having more people show up just adds to our umemployment issues. I cannot stress this enough - unless you can secure employment BEFORE moving, in an industry not likely to lay you off (and there aren't many of those) do not come to Charlotte for at least another year or two.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:23 PM

2 posts, read 6,193 times
Thank you so much for the information. We really appreciate it. You are all so wonderful for taking the time to answer. I was wondering if everyone else was in the same boat as we are here in Michigan and it looks like the boats awfully big. Sometimes the local news gets so involved with reporting the bad news for our area that they don't cover much news for other areas. We wish everyone well. There's a silver lining somewhere and if I ever find it I'll be sure to let you know Take care.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:07 AM

11 posts, read 32,445 times
Default Another Michigander moving to TN

RONVIC-
We too are from Warren MICHIGAN and I was laid off in August of last year. My company that I worked for finally closed the doors forever. I am unable to find a job anywhere here. I even tried everywhere from McDonalds to CVS to carwashes.

We chose to check out TN as we are tired of the snow and the city rush. We looked at the Savannah area and Jackson area. We have a trip planned for next week over spring break to check out the areas.

This site is the best place for information. Who can tell us "yankees" more about TN then the people that live there.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 3,798 times
Default Sevierville Tn

Thinking of moving to Sevierville Tenn. in the next few years to retire. Plan to visit and check out town some more but would like some input from locals as to how they like living there?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee