Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2007, 03:00 PM

665 posts, read 1,919,580 times

Advertisements

I see double wides for sale, I do not know very much about them as far as living in them. Some seem pretty big. I asked my mom about them she said their not too safe as far as hurricanes and storms are concerned. I see quite a few in Est Tennesee. Can someone tell me the real facts about them. Like good points and bad.Thank you so much! phyl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 03:20 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Some of them are VERY nice and large with great little amenities, like garden tubs, big decks and such. They are not good when it comes to tornadoes, but we don't get many of those the farther East you go towrds the mountains (them buggers are great protection!) The downside, they depreciate in value verses appreciate like a construction built unless they are on a large portion of land and to finance them....well, you basically need cash or great credit and a very large down payment. However, this is a great option if you are looking for land to build on and can by the land an mobile for cash, then live in the mobile while you build.

Old 03-29-2007, 09:01 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,651,603 times
if this was the South Florida forum I'd recommend against something like that. But in Eastern TN (or all of TN for that matter) you shouldn't have to worry about hurricanes to much!

Old 03-30-2007, 07:23 AM

90 posts, read 296,041 times
I live in a quad wide in Northern Florida and when we had all the terrible weather a couple of years ago, my house withstood it all better than the "houses" around me. Of course it all depends on who builds the home too.

Of course they're all right about the house appreciating.......the only reason I'm able to sell mine and get a fair price is because I owned the 3 acres it's sitting on before I bought it (which we used the land in lieu of down payment). Other than that, I would be up the creek.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,795,361 times
Default Modulars?

Hubby and I have been pricing new homes, new log homes, existing homes already built on land, including existing log homes for sale, versus modulars. I've seen double-wides, don't really care for them, but we've been VERY impressed by the modulars.

Double-wides do depreciate in value versus stick-built, but how about modulars?? Just curious....

blessings, Shen

Old 03-30-2007, 01:55 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,423,748 times
They are not safe in the midst of Tornadoes and I think TN gets alot of them and if you do get one, be sure to get a basement underneath and then get tie downs cemented into the ground...honestly if you have to live in one, then that is one story, but I won't if I had a choice, at least not in TN or any other area that gets high winds and Tornados, now at west where there are not T or H, you may be fine, infact some out there are in the millions of dollars in very rich areas, hard to image that they are! Seen a show one night on it and it was a rather good idea to expensive housing out that way! But in TN you can get a nice home for much less than you can just bout anyone else, there are some exception however.

Old 03-30-2007, 02:06 PM

7,280 posts, read 21,229,888 times
Modulars are different than mobiles(double wides). If your modular comes in several different sections, is put together on site, no wheels, no tongue, yes, the is a true modular and once constructed, is no different than a stick built home (regular construction) and appreciates the same. You can get a standard construction loan on modulars, not on mobiles.
Hope this helps

Old 03-30-2007, 03:00 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
795 posts, read 2,795,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Modulars are different than mobiles(double wides). If your modular comes in several different sections, is put together on site, no wheels, no tongue, yes, the is a true modular and once constructed, is no different than a stick built home (regular construction) and appreciates the same. You can get a standard construction loan on modulars, not on mobiles.
Hope this helps
Very much, thanks! Stick builts seem to be too expensive, unless you're buying in a tract, no thanks! We'll be going out in the country, so the modular maybe the way for us to go. There was one REALLY nice one, that looked bland from the outside, but as soon as you walked in the door, it looked like a home in Tuscany! There are slight changes that we would make, like making the master bedroom larger, are relatively cheap! We'd put in our own bathroom and kitchen as we didn't care for the cheap wood they used, even on their 'premium' package, but that's ok - we can do it alot cheaper ourselves anyway, have done it with this house.

PghPANative - what area of da 'burgh are you from?

blessings, Shen

Old 04-04-2007, 09:22 PM

39 posts, read 185,540 times
we toured a dealer in Crossville...

OMG some of those houses are incredible...never imagined they could be as nice as they are...

Old 04-04-2007, 10:50 PM

13,336 posts, read 39,695,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingofTn View Post
we toured a dealer in Crossville...

OMG some of those houses are incredible...never imagined they could be as nice as they are...
They do seem nice.

But they're still mobile homes, and given the destruction that took place last night of mobile homes in Cumberland County and Claiborne County (especially in Claiborne County) because of high winds and tornadoes, I would be very cautious before buying a mobile home, even a double wide.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee