Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2009, 07:10 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times

Advertisements

I will be making it back to Tennessee in May and I plan to travel the Cherohala Skyway and I was wondering if anyone can give me any pointers, must see area's et cetera. Any pictures?

Thanks, Josh
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2009, 07:26 PM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
The best pointer would be just to drive slow (and careful) and enjoy the views. The whole length of it is scenic. It's relatively short (although it seems longer), so you can enjoy all of it.

You can't buy gas along the way, so be sure you fill up beforehand if you need to.

Old 04-09-2009, 07:45 PM

16,177 posts, read 32,481,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
The best pointer would be just to drive slow (and careful) and enjoy the views. The whole length of it is scenic. It's relatively short (although it seems longer), so you can enjoy all of it.

You can't buy gas along the way, so be sure you fill up beforehand if you need to.
Totally agree with AC! The best way to travel is to have a driver so you can enjoy the views.

Old 04-09-2009, 08:19 PM

4,229 posts, read 17,604,841 times
Thanks for the tips! I read it is only 51 miles long. That still seems sufficient.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:10 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
I was last there in April 2004...but I'll be going back next week. We left Gatlinburg and headed into the park, took Little River Road to Hwy 321 at Townsend to the Foothills Parkway, then took it to the Tail of the Dragon, then back across the Cherohala Skyway and back to Gatlinburg via Maryville and Townsend. That was a spectacular drive....

Here's a few photos I took from the Skyway. I should get some better ones this year since I've got a better camera Hopefully the weather will be a great as it was in '04. Spent 4 days there and never put the top up on the Miata...and we'll be taking it again this year...

Old 04-10-2009, 08:10 AM

14,956 posts, read 9,790,824 times
The road is NOW very well patroled.. watch your speed, you will get a ticket. The do not issue warnings.

Old 04-10-2009, 08:22 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_n_Tenn View Post
The road is NOW very well patroled.. watch your speed, you will get a ticket. The do not issue warnings.
And for good reason. While it's an amazingly beautiful drive, it's VERY dangerous particularly with all the motorcyclists who seem to think the road was made just for them and resent slow-poke cars.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:25 AM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
As I recall, the speed limit is something like 45MPH on the Skyway. It's 30MPH on the Tail of the Dragon...and it's usually well patrolled as well - especially the Tennessee side.

I may skip the Skyway this trip and take 143 north out of Robbinsville NC to 28 and take it back east to Deals Gap. It's a shorter drive...and I've never been on that road.

While the route I described in the post above is a great drive, it's only great until you get to Tellico Plains. From there to Maryville is nothing but boring flatland....

Old 06-23-2023, 12:29 PM

703 posts, read 934,406 times
We finally got to experience taking the Cherohala Skyway on the way from Huntsville, AL to Cherokee, NC.

The Cherohala Skyway Visitor Center in Tellico Plains was a nice pitstop before you get on the Skyway. The nice young lady working there pointed us to the Tellicafe where we had a delicious lunch.

The views from the Skyway were absolutely breathtaking and equivalent to that of the Blue Ridge Parkway.

I was a little surprised to see a Cherokee Indian Police SUV sitting at the Robbinsville, NC end of the Skyway. I guess it makes sense due to that town being the home of the Snowbird Cherokee and their individual homesteads are recognized as Reservation Land.

Glad we made it a point to take the Skyway route this time around.

Old 06-24-2023, 08:34 AM

39,861 posts, read 26,482,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshB View Post
Thanks for the tips! I read it is only 51 miles long. That still seems sufficient.
There are a bunch of beautiful roads in that area. Cherohala is great, as is Hwy 28 (aka the Moonshiner 28) by Fontana Lake. Of course the Dragon is right there as well. IMO take a weekend and explore the area, it's beautiful country. Not far away of course is the Blue Ridge Parkway, which is spectacular. All 3 sections of Foothills Parkway are fun too, as is NC 209 (the Rattler) going to Hot Springs. But don't try to bite off too much in a day-all those twisty roads require attention, and you don't want to rush it and not enjoy the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee