Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2007, 05:10 PM

83 posts, read 402,939 times

Advertisements

Thanks we were not in the thick of it but we had the weather on all night. Got some good rain and lightening. Sorry for high jacking this thread.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2007, 07:01 PM

81 posts, read 309,012 times
Default Slab foundation

Hi hoosier07 .........we're not in Tn. yet but live in southern Nevada. Probably 98% of the homes around here are on slabs.....but it is rare..very rare to get a hard freeze. Our home is on a slab and no problems HOWEVER as some one mentioned IF you get a water leak... look out!!!!!!!I've heard horror stories!! They have to jack hammer the concrete to get to the water pipes. In addition the house will be very low to the ground. Now we only get about 3" of rainfall a year so no problem here.....I would think slope and drainage would be important there in Tn. because of all the rain. Maybe with a little luck, some of the guys in construction will add their 2 cents.

Hope that helps.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:50 PM

1,233 posts, read 3,434,255 times
That is not being paranoid that is being smart, basements are wise.

Old 03-31-2007, 10:54 PM

2,071 posts, read 7,682,024 times
not to brag or anything...but I went through Andrew in '92 and all the rest that hit South Florida since then

Old 04-01-2007, 06:33 AM

83 posts, read 402,939 times
I was there for Andrew. I was in Massachusetts for the rest. Glad I missed them. LOL

Old 04-01-2007, 07:46 AM

3,963 posts, read 10,631,058 times
IF you build on a slab, you'd better love your floorplan. Remodels on slabs are extremely expensive. Settling's a disaster too.

Old 04-01-2007, 04:42 PM

114 posts, read 391,325 times
Default Prefer raised floor

I have been in construction over 25 years. There are pros and cons to both dependant on area of country, weather etc. All said and done I prefer a raised floor with access to all utilities etc. If you have a basement just make sure there is no moisture coming through. Friend of mine in Maryland has an older home with an indoor pool (slight exageration) in the basement . He will have to excavate around the walls, put in french drains and waterproof the basement walls. Real pain and expensive.

I look for a raised floor but you need to pay a bit more ususally.

Old 04-02-2007, 05:54 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pioti View Post
I have been in construction over 25 years. There are pros and cons to both dependant on area of country, weather etc. All said and done I prefer a raised floor with access to all utilities etc. If you have a basement just make sure there is no moisture coming through. Friend of mine in Maryland has an older home with an indoor pool (slight exageration) in the basement . He will have to excavate around the walls, put in french drains and waterproof the basement walls. Real pain and expensive.

I look for a raised floor but you need to pay a bit more ususally.
Thank you for your comments and experience in this business. The builder does not offer other option, but the price is much better for a 3 bedroom home. I will have to check if the area is in a flood area and look for a house that is in a higher elevation when compared to the street and backyard level. I spoke with a friend that has a house in a slab here in Indianapolis for the past 5 years and so far no problems....

Old 04-02-2007, 10:39 AM

37,800 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickimouse View Post
Alot of time when building on a slab you have to worry about moisture, and settling. All of you water lines, electrical and duct work will have to be in the walls or overhead. You loose space like this plus if you have a water leak lookout.
Crickets...I lived in a one story apartment complex on a golf course - apartments built on a slab - and we had a cricket problem every summer. So, for those of you in the know, if the place is built on a slab are you more likely to have an indoor insect problem?

Old 04-02-2007, 01:28 PM

81 posts, read 309,012 times
Talking Just crickets?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Crickets...I lived in a one story apartment complex on a golf course - apartments built on a slab - and we had a cricket problem every summer. So, for those of you in the know, if the place is built on a slab are you more likely to have an indoor insect problem?
LauraC if you are like me... I do not like bugs of any kind! I have heard of several infestations out here. The worst was a couple of years ago some parts of Vegas had problems with scorpians getting into homes. I also hear (more often) of problems with silver fish. However, some of these may be related to rapid expansion into the critters territories and some just catch a ride on the lumber...I don't know if it due to the slabs or other issues...whatever.... it sure isn't funny!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee