Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 07:44 PM

359 posts, read 1,636,077 times

Advertisements

East TN State University in Johnson City is a 'dry' campus.

There are 'package stores' in all 3 of the Tri-Cities, I believe. Therefore, they are not dry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2006, 06:09 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
The "Dry" Counties I know of are : Hawkins ( you can buy beer only, just not in a restaurant) Hamblin, Jefferson, **** and Hancock. I know there are a few more, but the Tri-Cities, Washington and Sullivan Counties, you can get a glass of wine or drink with dinner and there are night clubs that serve.

Old 10-12-2006, 08:53 PM

1 posts, read 15,349 times
Default Dry Counties

List the dry counties in Tennessee

Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM

Yes sir!
I don't know about ALL of the TN dry counties but I do know of a few here in East TN.: Jefferson County, Hamblin Co. Hawkins Co, Hancock Co. **** Co. Grainger Co. Sevier Co.
I can't think of any others at the moment....any one else???
Now some of these you can buy beer at the store and bring it home and sometimes even get a beer at a restaurant, but if you want wine or a mixed drink, nope.
Some of these dry areas will allow you to bring a bottle of wine with you into the restaurant. I know, strange, I'll never understand it, but hey, I can live with it...I live in Washington Co...Not dry

Old 02-09-2007, 10:15 PM

150 posts, read 426,281 times
Default Why be dry?

Lois, that answers my question just about. I am applying to the ETSU coll of Pharmacy, and I would hate to find myself stuck in a dry county. I am not planning to live on campus (I have already been researching real estate) so if the campus is dry, then that doesn't bother me. So long as the town is not. My mom and I got stuck in Dallas a couple of years ago while flying to see her mother. We stayed in a hotel, I think in Irving, that the airline put us in, and the county was dry. Until that point, I didn't know that such lunacy existed in this country. We went to a Super Walmart because we had NOTHING to do but watch TV and have a bottle of wine. Plus our luggage had made it onto the plane that we had not, so we needed basic essentials. We walked all around that super walmart, and couldn't find the alcohol. Finally we asked some guys, and they laughed and said we could not purchase any take away alcohol. Fortunately the Bennigan's had a bar. Do people really believe that by restricting sales you can cut down on problems. Retarded.

What are the Tri-Cities?

Are there any good bars in Johnson City. Anywhere to go out, or is it a ghost town past bedtime?

Thanks

future pharm student dieing to get out of Florida

Old 02-10-2007, 08:17 AM

13,353 posts, read 39,959,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
Lois, that answers my question just about. I am applying to the ETSU coll of Pharmacy, and I would hate to find myself stuck in a dry county. I am not planning to live on campus (I have already been researching real estate) so if the campus is dry, then that doesn't bother me. So long as the town is not. My mom and I got stuck in Dallas a couple of years ago while flying to see her mother. We stayed in a hotel, I think in Irving, that the airline put us in, and the county was dry. Until that point, I didn't know that such lunacy existed in this country. We went to a Super Walmart because we had NOTHING to do but watch TV and have a bottle of wine. Plus our luggage had made it onto the plane that we had not, so we needed basic essentials. We walked all around that super walmart, and couldn't find the alcohol. Finally we asked some guys, and they laughed and said we could not purchase any take away alcohol. Fortunately the Bennigan's had a bar. Do people really believe that by restricting sales you can cut down on problems. Retarded.

What are the Tri-Cities?

Are there any good bars in Johnson City. Anywhere to go out, or is it a ghost town past bedtime?

Thanks

Wait a minute, Fawkes, you want to leave Miami for a laid-back lifestyle up in the mountains, and before you've even arrived you're calling us "retarded"?

Johnson City is a nice town in a beautiful setting. It's got bars that cater to college kids (over 21, of course) but nothing like what you see in Miami. If you really want the laid-back lifestyle you talked about in another post, then you should just get used to the idea that it's a quieter lifestyle up here and that things close down at bed time. Except Wal-Mart and Waffle House.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:34 AM

I agree with JMT that there is NO comparison between Miami and Johnson City. You can expect a culture shock for sure, but we here, like it that way. However we do have some night clubs and bars that are open till 2 or 3 am. There are several in Downtown and by ETSU (which are only a few blocks away from each other) There is a paper that comes out once a month that lists all the music venues that are in the region. Most of these night clubs host local bands and such. You can also check it out at tricities.com it has a music section that will list all of these places. They are spread out and will not be AT ALL what you are used to in Miami, but you might enjoy a few of them.

Old 02-10-2007, 02:53 PM

39 posts, read 186,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
Would someone please tell me where I could get a list of the Dry counties in Tennessee. On a recent visit (to Crossville) we tried to buy a bottle of wine. We were told it was a dry county, and would have to drive to Rockford. Thanks
You can not buy alcohol in a store in Cumberland County because they are pushing the wineries in the county.

Old 02-10-2007, 04:40 PM

60 posts, read 308,644 times
In another thread, I talked about folks who wanted to "change" TN. Here is a perfect example! In my county(Putnam), we allow liquor by the drink in restaurants only (NO BARS) and there are NO liquor stores. That's by choice. That's why we have a decent town. If you find that idiotic and retarded, then please, I beg you, STAY AWAY!!!!! Don't come here with the intention of changing the place. You make your choices. You choose to move here, you choose to live in a county with no liquor stores. If that sounds unfriendly, I meant it to.

Old 02-10-2007, 06:35 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post

What are the Tri-Cities?

Thanks

Are you dying to get out of Florida because the people there are too rude as other Floridians have told us?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee