U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 03-01-2008, 10:33 PM

150 posts, read 246,274 times
Hey all, I was just searching through some old posts of mine for a specific thread on Miami (where I came from) and I noticed that as recently as 2 months ago people (Storm8455 and JMT) were still talking about a stupid comment I made about a year ago about my opinions on dry counties. HEHEHE I find that funny, I didn't know that I made such an impact. But seriously people, I am sorry that I offended some of you. Yes I grew up in Miami and did my time in the bars and clubs around Miami and South Beach getting legless. However, I currently live in Johnson City, and I would sever all ties with Miami if it weren't for the fact that my parents are still there. I much prefer Johnson City over Miami. Except for the restaurants. Miami doesn't have a lot of diversity, but it has more than Johnson City. I used to live in Sydney, Australia, a city that truely has a lot of diversity, and I loved to check out all the different restaurants. Johnson City has none of that diversity, but I will exchange the diversity in the restaurants for the fact that I can get across town in 20 minutes, get in and out of the DMV in 10, the nice people, the weather (I HATE THE WEATHER IN MIAMI!! I am going to miss the snow and cold when it goes.) and the pretty girls.

I would love for my parents to get out of Miami. Their little, not so nice house is on such valuable property that my dad thinks he could get 1.2M for it. I say sell and buy a nice house in Coco Beach or Tybee Island or something for about 400K. But he won't do it.

Anyways, I said it once before, but maybe some people didn't catch the apology, only saw the stupid comment. I AM SORRY I said something about dry county laws being retarded. I just don't like government interference. Plus, I think dry county laws encourage drunk driving, not smart. What I said was not acceptable, i realize that, and I apoligize, but it was meant to be kind of tongue in cheek, kind of joking. For those of you that may have said that I shouldn't come up here, that I should stay in Miami, well good luck getting me to leave, because I really like this little town.

Actually, Savannah is prettier. So you might get me to leave after all. ;-)

But I ain't goin back to Miami. Not for less than a half million a year, anyways.

Oh yeah, That's right I did say I like the pretty GIRLS in Johnson City. Storm8455 refered to me as she, but it's he. but s/he didn't know. I don't know if storm thought the name sounded feminine, but Fawkes is a nickname given to me by a buddy of mine from London. It's a reference to the leader of the gunpowder plot, whose last name was Fawkes and whose first name was the same as mine. The gunpowder plot was a plan to blow up parliament on November 5 1605. He was stopped. To this day, the English still get drunk and shoot off fireworks on November 5 as a celebration of the foiling of this dude's plan to blow up the parliament building. So, I am his namesake, and my old roommate, who like I said is from London, jokingly calls me Fawkes. Just a little history lesson for y'all.

Last edited by Fawkes; 03-01-2008 at 10:56 PM.. Reason: accidental press of the enter button
Quick reply to this message

Unread 03-02-2008, 01:50 AM

2,141 posts, read 4,976,703 times
I live in a state where there are no dry counties. What is the purpose of them? If alcohol is legal, why not sell all types of it, everywhere?

Unread 03-03-2008, 09:57 PM

7 posts, read 26,961 times
Crockett County is dry also. There's one place in town that sells beer and two places on the highway right outside of town that sell beer in sealed containers for private consumption. Liquor isn't, as far as I know, illegal to possess, but it's not able to be sold. Also, there are no bars or anything any more, so at best you can buy a case of beer at the store and carry it back home to drink. Also, don't expect any exotic selection. The American beers and a few cheaper imports (Heineken) are about all I've ever seen.

Unread 06-10-2008, 09:39 AM

23 posts, read 55,936 times
TN is by default a dry state. Each county and city/town has the right to choose to allow sales, but unless it is specifically allowed, then it is not legal - if that makes sense.

It's so hit or miss around here that that is probably the reason you can't find a map or list anywhere on the internet. The county I live in allows the sale of beer in grocery stores or gas stations, but you can not buy hard liquor anywhere in the county. Some of the towns in my county allow you to purchase liquor by the drink at a restaurant (my town does not, but 5 miles up the road you can). Some of those towns allow Sunday sales at the restaurants, some do not. Same goes for beer - you can buy it on Sunday in some areas, not on Sunday in other areas, and only during certain hours on Sunday in others.

It's truly hit or miss.

Unread 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM

1 posts, read 6,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CG&D93 View Post
Sevier County is a 'dry' county. What ever that means. Had NO idea that was the case when we moved here, though. You CAN buy beer here in grocery stores, corner gas station stores and now Wal-Mart. There is beer in many restaurants, they have to be 'so far' away from a church or place of worship. But no wine or liquors.

I personally don't mind one way or the other. I just go to the next county to buy the wine I want. What I find strange is that there are 2 wineries that I know of in Sevier County. You can BUY their wine in their shops. That is weird I think. My husband and I just chuckle when we make the 'trek' to the wine store and buy it in the box so that is last longer.

Thought you would like to know.... not all of Sevier county is 'dry'. You can simply go to Gatlinburg where there are several liquor stores and where it is also served in most restaurants. As for Sevierville and Pigeon Forge, most places do serve beer and wine. I.e., Texas Roadhouse, O'Charley's, Applebees, TGIFridays, ect. ect. Also, at TGIFridays, you can get wine based liquors in mixed drinks and such. Sevierville and Pigeon Forge have their beer and wine licenses but no liquor license. That is mainly because Sevierville and Pigeon Forge are considered more 'family oriented' while Gatlinburg is focused more on adults. Hope this was helpful!

Unread 06-25-2009, 12:23 PM

1 posts, read 5,695 times
my wife and i will be vacationing in pigon forge will i have trouble finding beer and vodka

Unread 06-25-2009, 12:45 PM

5,102 posts, read 7,514,784 times
Beer I don't think so, vodka yes.

You may have to go to a neighboring county to find a liquor store if you'd like wine or hard alcohol. But beer is sold in many places, including grocery stores and WalMarts.

Keep in mind, it varies greatly, not only county to county, but county to the individual city.

Unread 09-02-2009, 03:28 PM

2 posts, read 14,296 times
This is a quick update note to let you know that both Pigeon Forge and Sevierville now have liquor by the drink. The referendum in Sevierville passed by about 20 or so votes. So, come thirsty ..... and enjoy.

Unread 09-07-2009, 02:15 PM

442 posts, read 976,899 times
Default Crossville-Cumberland county

We are coming to town soon.. Have there been liquor stores that have opened in Crossville or do we still need to go to Laura's in Harriman?

Unread 09-09-2009, 09:12 AM

10,315 posts, read 9,682,316 times
Robbied
Yes. I know there are two opened. One one 127 near walmart and another at the corner of West and Miller.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee