Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2007, 10:25 PM

421 posts, read 1,691,167 times

Advertisements

You know WET or DRY depends on your definition.
You talking about package stores or liquor by the drink?

KC,sorry but Cookeville DOES serve liquor in bars.Some of them CALL themselves restaurants but they really aren't. A lot of them aren't anything but BARS! The JOE,Vinnie T's,the Library,Players etc...
Those aren't restaurants.They offer food if requested(by law) but they are bars! You can get any mixed drink you want in those places,and you'll very rarely if ever see any food served.

WET is package/liquor stores. NO, Putnam County does not have them.We DO have liquor by the drink & you can get anything you want here.
We have always gone to Jackson County to get bottles of wine/liquor etc..
It's not far!

firepower
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2007, 12:38 AM

150 posts, read 426,281 times
I think this is basically what I am looking for. I DO NOT want somewhere like Miami. UGA in Athens was one of my first choices, because I liked the idea of a small town in the mountains. I was also going to apply to Appalacia University in Grundy, VA. That is a really small town, 1100 people But their prerequisites don't match what I've done. Different schools require different things.

Old 02-15-2007, 12:04 AM

421 posts, read 1,691,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firepower View Post
You know WET or DRY depends on your definition.
You talking about package stores or liquor by the drink?

KC,sorry but Cookeville DOES serve liquor in bars.Some of them CALL themselves restaurants but they really aren't. A lot of them aren't anything but BARS! The JOE,Vinnie T's,the Library,Players etc...
Those aren't restaurants.They offer food if requested(by law) but they are bars! You can get any mixed drink you want in those places,and you'll very rarely if ever see any food served.

WET is package/liquor stores. NO, Putnam County does not have them.We DO have liquor by the drink & you can get anything you want here.
We have always gone to Jackson County to get bottles of wine/liquor etc..
It's not far!

firepower

Let me correct that last paragraph.Putnam County does not have liquor by the drink,only the city of Cookeville does. And the "bars" I mentioned are only required to be able to serve something.Like if you ask for chicken fingers if they can throw some in a microwave & serve 'em to ya then they get by as a "restaurant".

firepower

Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM

141 posts, read 981,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkes View Post
I think this is basically what I am looking for. I DO NOT want somewhere like Miami. UGA in Athens was one of my first choices, because I liked the idea of a small town in the mountains. I was also going to apply to Appalacia University in Grundy, VA. That is a really small town, 1100 people But their prerequisites don't match what I've done. Different schools require different things.
Just an FYI, Athens is nowhere near any mountains. It is on the Piedmont, which is rolling hills. You would have to drive about 1.5-2 hrs to even be in the foothills, longer to get to actual mountains. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but if you want mountains somewhere like Johnson City would be better.

Old 02-15-2007, 11:59 AM

141 posts, read 981,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magster View Post
We were told we can bring our own bottle into some local restaurants, but it appears when we move there, we will have to drive to Knoxville to buy my husband's bourbon and my beloved scotch by the case. Knox County is dry, too, but there is a liquor store -- Bob's -- in West Knoxville -- and maybe some others, too. Some cities opt out of their county's "dryness."
Knox County allows liquor stores, and beer is sold in every grocery store and quickie mart in the county. The City of Knoxville is very much wet, too. Liquor stores, nice wine shops, also available at almost every restaurant (except Michael's)

Old 02-22-2007, 11:40 AM

2 posts, read 21,657 times
I don't believe Hamblen county is a dry county, you may not can buy liqueur by the drink in restaurants and such, but u can buy beer in some. Also, hambeln has several liqueur stores. To me, a dry county is a county in which NO liqueur is sold, but maybe I am wrong.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:59 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,319,846 times
"Dry" is defined by weather you can go into a restaurant and want a glass of wine, drink, you can't get one
This is true for Hamblin and Hawkins.(I don't know for sure in other counties) Yes, you can buy beer is some convenience stores, but you can't drink it in public. Yes, in those counties, if you are seen (and someone feels like reporting you) on your front porch drinking a beer, you can be sited for "public intoxication"
Some one has told me that this "public intoxication law" is state wide, others have said it was only in "Dry" counties. Haven't found anything in print though, but was confirmed by a police officer in Greene County.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:16 PM

60 posts, read 344,650 times
You have to consider all the exceptions too. Sevier County may be dry but I don't think Gatlinburg is. There's a winery there! I don't know about Pigeon Forge or Sevierville. In a lot of these counties, the towns are wet but the surrounding counties are dry. The net effect is nil because there are virtually no restaurants outside the town limits, period.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM

22,584 posts, read 54,280,916 times
Gatlinburg is definitely wet. Pigeon Forge well, you can get beer and wine by the glass in restaurants. I don't understand the effect statement. I don't really know what you mean.

Old 02-22-2007, 06:56 PM

60 posts, read 344,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
Gatlinburg is definitely wet. Pigeon Forge well, you can get beer and wine by the glass in restaurants. I don't understand the effect statement. I don't really know what you mean.
What I meant is that when a dry county's only sizable town is wet, all of the county's restaurants are going to serve alcohol. There are many counties in TN that have no more than one sizable town. And it's likely that everybody in the surrounding county goes to that town when going to a restaurant. I suppose the same might be true for packaged liquor stores too. Sevier County is a perfect example (although there are a few wet towns). If you live in, say Henry's Crossroads, which is a tiny hamlet off TN-66 in Sevier County, you wouldn't find any restaurants PERIOD until you got to Sevierville/Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg. It isn't like you're going to show up at a restaurant in Henry's Crossroads, ask for a glass of wine, and be denied...because there aren't any stores or restaurants there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee