Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-03-2007, 06:04 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,191 times

Advertisements

Hi....I only drink wine or a beer when we have friends over for dinner or in a business dinner....and of course I know TN is famous for its dry counties. How exactly does it work ? This is the least of my worries and would not jeopardize any moving thoughts but I would like to know more on this subject. Can you buy wine for example in a supermarket ? Can you order in a restaurant bar ? What about Knox Co. rules ? Thanks. I hope I don't start a controversy here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2007, 06:23 AM

7,280 posts, read 21,312,828 times
Knoxville is not dry, Morristown is. (I say this because I know you are looking at both places) In a "dry" county.....well, it varies LOL!!! Most of them you can NOT get a drink in a restaurant, but sometimes you can get a beer only. There might be one package store in the county where you can buy wine and liquor, there might be 3 or more. You can buy beer in most convince stores in dry counties. You just have to drink it at home. In these dry counties if you are seen with a beer or drink outside your home, that is considered "public intoxication" (Sometimes this in enforced, sometimes not) .
Wine is not sold in any grocery store in East TN, you have to go to a package store.
So to answer your questions, there really aren't any "set" rules about this issues.
I know, strange, but one of those things that you just say "Welcome to TN" about hahhahahahhaha.

Old 04-03-2007, 06:27 AM

6,295 posts, read 23,204,585 times
Each county sets its own rules. Most counties, whether large or small, allow beer sales.

Liquor sales vary a lot. Most of the larger counties allow liquor sales, many of the smaller ones do not.

You cannot buy wine in a supermarket.

I don't know the rules in Knox County offhand. I'm sure someone will be along to explain what the law is there. I'm guessing that Knox allows sales of liquor in both restaurants and also in liquor stores.

[Edited to add: I was typing my reply while mbmouse was posting.]

Old 04-03-2007, 06:34 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,262,993 times
And I think that the liquor stores are closed on Sundays, and possibly holidays, too. And the two liquor stores that I have been in did not sell beer, which I thought was a bit strange. Ah, well.

But I'm pretty sure you can buy beer in convenience and supermarkets on Sundays.

Oh, this is all referring to Knox County.

Old 04-03-2007, 07:21 AM

197 posts, read 1,065,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
Knoxville is not dry, Morristown is. (I say this because I know you are looking at both places) In a "dry" county.....well, it varies LOL!!! Most of them you can NOT get a drink in a restaurant, but sometimes you can get a beer only. There might be one package store in the county where you can buy wine and liquor, there might be 3 or more. You can buy beer in most convince stores in dry counties. You just have to drink it at home. In these dry counties if you are seen with a beer or drink outside your home, that is considered "public intoxication" (Sometimes this in enforced, sometimes not) .
Wine is not sold in any grocery store in East TN, you have to go to a package store.
So to answer your questions, there really aren't any "set" rules about this issues.
I know, strange, but one of those things that you just say "Welcome to TN" about hahhahahahhaha.
Thanks everybody and mbmouse....yes I'm still considering both East Knox County and Morristown.....here in Indiana (at least Indianapolis area) all liquor stores are closed on Sundays and you can not buy liquor, beer or wine on Sundays, doesn't matter if it is on supermarkets or convenience stores. The supermarkets close the aisle of liquor sales.....he...he...he. You end up getting used to it....

Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 AM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
Hi....I only drink wine or a beer when we have friends over for dinner or in a business dinner....and of course I know TN is famous for its dry counties. How exactly does it work ? This is the least of my worries and would not jeopardize any moving thoughts but I would like to know more on this subject. Can you buy wine for example in a supermarket ? Can you order in a restaurant bar ? What about Knox Co. rules ? Thanks. I hope I don't start a controversy here.
In Tennessee, towns can allow liquor by the drink even if they're located in dry counties. Morristown is one of those; you can go to Applebee's or Ruby Tuesday and drink liquor, but you cannot by liquor by the bottle in stores in Morristown or anywhere else in Hamblen County.

Knox County is "wet" in that it allows liquor sales in packages stores. Tennessee does not allow grocery stores or convenience stores to sell liquor.

You can go to Lynchburg to the Jack Daniels distillery, but you can't actually buy it there; Moore County is dry. How funny is that?

Old 04-03-2007, 08:00 AM

13 posts, read 73,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosier07 View Post
I know TN is famous for its dry counties. How exactly does it work ? This is the least of my worries and would not jeopardize any moving thoughts but I would like to know more on this subject. Can you buy wine for example in a supermarket ? Can you order in a restaurant bar ?
A Dry county is one where you cannot purchase alcohol at all. If you want alcohol, you have to go to a county where it is available (and take it home). I have been to larger cities where you can purchase beer/wine/liquor in the grocery store, which I think is convenient. However, in E. Tn, you have to go to a Liquor store to purchase wines and liquor. Only beer is sold in the Grocery store, and on Sundays you cannot purchase beer until after 12pm.

Old 04-03-2007, 08:10 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
I was going to say, a dry county means no alcohol/beer period. I grew up in a dry county; we had to drive to the county line to purchase anything. And nothing was sold on Sundays at the county line stores.

In dry counties, establishments can petition to buy a liquor license, and become a private club that can sell alcohol. But unless I'm mistaken, dry county means just that....it's dry.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:09 AM

141 posts, read 981,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
Knox County is "wet" in that it allows liquor sales in packages stores. Tennessee does not allow grocery stores or convenience stores to sell liquor.
They also do not allow beer sales in liquor/wine stores, unless it's the new high gravity types. Many stores get around this by having an in-store partition and two registers, but most just stay away from beer altogether.

Old 04-03-2007, 09:16 AM

3,371 posts, read 13,372,803 times
It's my understanding that it all depends on the alcohol percentage in the drink. They do sell some beer in liquor stores, beer that is high in alcohol volume or whatnot. (ie..not Miller Lite!) But overall, beer is sold in gas stations, liquor is sold in liquor stores. Nothing in grocery stores. No stores are open on Sundays. You can buy liquor/beer in restaurants on Sundays, after 12 noon. At least that's how it is in memphis; I assume those are state laws. It's quite a headache on days like Superbowl Sunday when you forget that nothing is open!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee