Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 08:18 AM

5 posts, read 43,554 times

Advertisements

My husband is considering a transfer to the TVA nuclear power plant in Watts Bar (near Spring City).
What is your favorite small town in this area, and why?
We don't have to live right in Spring City, but would like to be within a 30-mile radius.
My main concern is for good schools (we have two children in elementary). My husband wants quiet roads and a good view on a small piece of land (1+ acres).
Any help that you can offer is much appreciated!!
Thank you very much!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 01:57 PM

98 posts, read 388,653 times
Sweetwater or Athens
Just wondering, are ya'll originally from Tn or the South?

Last edited by Braves_fan; 04-04-2007 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: add sentence

Old 04-04-2007, 05:34 PM

We are actually from the Northeast, NY state to be exact.
It's not a TVA transfer, it would be a job transfer. I should have been more specific. Sorry about that.
What do you like about Sweetwater and Athens?
Which would you recommend as having the best schools?

Old 04-04-2007, 06:06 PM

I live in Athens, Im single and Im originally from Alabama.. so I really dont study the school systems all that much. Athens is very clean as is Sweetwater. Athens has every type of store you could possibly need to shop in. All the means you'd want as far as a larger city are both within an hours drive Chattanooga one way Knoxville the other. Sweetwater, is more old fashioned with the worlds best Flea Markets and lawn sales. Funny you mention upstate NY, I got distant kin folk near Binghamton NY

Old 04-04-2007, 06:12 PM

Default also...

Not sure if you ever looked into this but here are a couple online newspaper sites for Athens and Sweetwater

http://www.monroe.xtn.net/

http://dpa.xtn.net/

Old 04-04-2007, 06:26 PM

Braves,
Thank you so much for those newspaper links...I'm looking forward to reading them.
I'm not as far upstate as your kinfolk (I love that word!); I'm halfway between NYC and Albany, about 1.5 hours from each. Right below Poughkeepsie.
I appreciate your input. Both of those towns sound absolutely delightful. My husband has an interview next week, so I'll make a list of towns for him to check out while he's there.
Do you have any neighbors or friends with kids that you could ask a quick question about the schools? That's my main concern, having the kids in a good school. But please don't go to a lot of trouble.
Take care.

Old 04-04-2007, 06:34 PM

I can tell you that just through the word of mouth that in Athens the McMinn county school system is great. Monroe County School district is a bit more "rural" and old school.

heres a couple helpful links.....

http://www.mcminn.k12.tn.us/MCHS/indexstuff/MCHS.html (broken link)

http://www.mcminn.k12.tn.us/

http://www.monroe.k12.tn.us/

Old 04-04-2007, 06:36 PM

Wowa, excellent! Thanks for that information and those links!

Old 04-04-2007, 06:40 PM

Im sure it's potentially is a big move for you and the family. Folks can do all the research they want and thats great, but when it really comes down to it, it's what you make of it wherever you choose to live.
If ya'll choose to live in the Athens area, make sure you and the family get to tour Mayfield Dairy. Its the worlds best Ice Cream and Milk!!!

Good luck and God Bless

Old 04-04-2007, 06:45 PM

It's a huge move for our family. I've only ever lived in 2 states (PA for 22 years and NY for 16 -- all 16 in the same county, the last 13 in the same house); this is why I'm doing so much research. I've got myself in a mini-panic. Thank you for your words of wisdom to help me just calm down.

We will HAVE to visit the Mayfield Dairy no matter what town we choose. I was checking out their website the other day. It looks delicious!

Blessings to you for all of your help and advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee