U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Thread summary:

Seeking to move from California to Faragut Tennessee, interested in schools and home prices, granite and tile trade jobs in area

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-04-2007, 10:45 AM
 
4 posts, read 9,605 times
Reputation: 10

Advertisements

Interested in Faragut,TN. We are living in CA and its getting to expensive. How are the schools and prices of homes in that area or surrounding area?Also looking for work in the granite/tile trade for my husband. Curious how busy or stable the market is out there. Any other suggestions of good towns that are family oriented and growing would be helpful. I have two small children and want a nice town to settle down in. Thanks

Last edited by janellebrooks; 04-04-2007 at 11:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-04-2007, 01:18 PM
 
Location: Athens ,Tennessee
98 posts, read 349,395 times
Reputation: 33
Now we know why this area and state is becoming over-loaded .

sigh

good luck
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2007, 10:08 PM
 
61 posts, read 217,462 times
Reputation: 28
I know how you feel, we moved to a small town in CA 18 years ago and now it's over crowded, over priced, traffic is awful, there's more and more graffati popping up. Schools are over crowded as well. In fact, our high schools have special parking areas for the police. What does that tell you? And we live in the nicer town! Hate to tell you this, though, we are considering moving to TN as well. I told my husband that the people of TN must hate people like us. But look at it this way, we are wanting to leave here because we want what you have there. Which means we will help preserve what's there not contaminate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 06:26 AM
 
Location: Tennessee
33,949 posts, read 32,379,274 times
Reputation: 49896
Quote:
Originally Posted by GARYNJANET View Post
I know how you feel, we moved to a small town in CA 18 years ago and now it's over crowded, over priced, traffic is awful, there's more and more graffati popping up. Schools are over crowded as well. In fact, our high schools have special parking areas for the police. What does that tell you? And we live in the nicer town! Hate to tell you this, though, we are considering moving to TN as well. I told my husband that the people of TN must hate people like us. But look at it this way, we are wanting to leave here because we want what you have there. Which means we will help preserve what's there not contaminate it.
I don't know about the people of Tennessee but I'm really hating that so many of you are moving to Tennessee, not for what it offers, but to get away from something where you live now. Try this - I like Tennessee because... (without saying "it's not" or "it doesnn't have").

If you are only coming to Tennessee to flee an intolerable condition where you live now, the new place will become what you left. I'm waiting to hear why people want to move to Tennessee, you know, what is it about Tennessee that's attractive to you - beyond that it doesn't have the bad things from your old state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 06:45 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
Reputation: 302
No state income tax
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 06:49 AM
 
Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
Reputation: 302
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
No state income tax
Honestly, if the other states (are you listening Ed Rendell??!!!??) would eliminate the state income tax, they would see more business moving into their state, more people, more revenue. Which is why I'm for a National Retail Sales Tax, instead of the Income Tax and IRS. Hello Fair Tax!

blessings, Shen
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 08:11 AM
 
Location: Cumberland Cove, Monterey, TN
1,268 posts, read 3,954,844 times
Reputation: 817
Default Why I'm Interested In Tennessee

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I don't know about the people of Tennessee but I'm really hating that so many of you are moving to Tennessee, not for what it offers, but to get away from something where you live now. Try this - I like Tennessee because... (without saying "it's not" or "it doesnn't have").

If you are only coming to Tennessee to flee an intolerable condition where you live now, the new place will become what you left. I'm waiting to hear why people want to move to Tennessee, you know, what is it about Tennessee that's attractive to you - beyond that it doesn't have the bad things from your old state.

I'm interested in Tennessee for the following reasons:

1. I'm originally from the south and miss that southern way of life.
2. Lower cost of living
3. Lower cost of property/housing.
4. Friendly people who care about their neighbors
5. Beautiful environment
6. Abundance of recreational opportunities
7. Less crowded highways

I also currently live in California and hate it here. I've been to Tennessee before and loved it. My wife and I will be visiting Tennessee again in August to look around and possibly buy some property for our future retirement home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 09:35 AM
 
166 posts, read 905,731 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Braves_fan View Post
Now we know why this area and state is becoming over-loaded .

sigh

good luck
From what I noticed many people are moving to Tennessee. It's becoming pretty normal to hear that a person from Florida moved to Tennessee.

Our best friend just moved to Columbia. I can't wait to go visit. He couldn't purchase anything like that in Florida. I believe he got 7,000 square foot home, on 23 acres.

Can't find anything like that in S. Florida; we've run out of land. There isn't anywhere left to develop in Miami and Broward County, except for trailer parks and low-income neighborhoods. That means poor people are becoming displaced. I feel sorry for them. I heard so many people complain in the trailer parks that big devopers are coming in, and building condo's and townhomes. They get kicked out of the trailer parks and can't rent. See, they only pay $400 a month or $500. They can't afford to rent anything down here and they either go homeless or leave altogether.

Then there are just others that want out. It's so crowded. Next time you have to drive 13 miles...and it takes you two hrs...then you will wonder why people are moving to Tenn. That and much of the population in Dade county can't speak English. Seriouly! Even in the hospitals! I'd rather be in Tennessee anyday and have a doctor that spoke English than get stuck in an ER room with a man that can't understand a word I'm saying! I thank God that only happened once, but um, you can understand why people are leaving Florida for Tennessee.

And it get's better. Now imagine teachers and nurses can't afford to live in S. Florida....so they move!

Well, the schools are too cheap to pay a teacher what their worth. So, they find teachers from Puerto Rico to teach your kids.

They are bringing in people from other countries to teach in the public schools. Sorry, I want a person who was raised in America to teach my kids. Unless, it's Spanish or a foreign language.

I like Tennessee becaue the people speak English...even in the emergency rooms!

I like Tennessee because I can call up my medical insurer and they will actually be able to communicate with me! I will not have to try to interrupt every other sentence asking, "What the heck did you say?" That's important when you have to talk to somebody regarding your medical insurance. Try doing that with somebody that speaks mostly Spanish and a few phrases in English.

I like Tennessee because the kids will be taught by an American! Not by a foreigner whose second language is English!

I like Tennessee because I don't have to wait in ten hr. gas lines (due to the possibility that a hurricane might occur) and have senior citiznes trying to pick fights with everybody in the line. Then, after the senior citizen cuts into the gas line, right in front of you...and tells you and everybody else off, you pull up, only to find the gas station just ran out of gas. Your on empty (cause you waited in the heat for hrs. on that line) and beg people to sell you an eighth of a gallon of gas, just so you can make it home. Everybody else ahead of you is filling up their gas cans and tanks...and wouldn't sell you a drop of gas, even if you were pregnant and needed to be rushed to the hospital. I wasn't pregnant at the time...but it's a true story. I was in near tears begging people to buy just an eighth of a gallon....nobody would do it...even for a younger woman, all alone. That's when I made the decision - I want out! I waited in a two hr. line that day, but I've tried to get gas in ten hr. lines as well. You can see cars stretched father than the eyes can see...miles and miles down the highway. Now, tell me, would you want to live like this? I called the sheriffs office and they confirmed that during the day, the line was about a ten hr. wait. At 5Am it was possibly a four or five.

I like Tennessee because I don't have to drink warm water and take cold showers. Try doing that down here after a Hurricane here in S. Florida!

I like Tennessee because they don't try to rip people off and charge them $400 a ticket to see a show. Literally, I checked concerts in most of America. The most expensive tickets are in S. Florida...and people are stupid enough to pay it! Go to Orlando or Atlanta...ticket prices for the same show are much less!

I like Tennessee because your property taxes and homeowners insurance can possibly be up to 80% less. The car insurance is about half price, too!

Should I go on?....

Last edited by Angelrocks; 04-05-2007 at 10:19 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Nashville Area
328 posts, read 1,141,068 times
Reputation: 153
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelrocks View Post
From what I noticed many people are moving to Tennessee. It's becoming pretty normal to hear that a person from Florida moved to Tennessee.

Our best friend just moved to Columbia. I can't wait to go visit. He couldn't purchase anything like that in Florida. I believe he got 7,000 square foot home, on 23 acres.

Can't find anything like that in S. Florida; we've run out of land. There isn't anywhere left to develop in Miami and Broward County, except for trailer parks and low-income neighborhoods. That means poor people are becoming displaced. I feel sorry for them. I heard so many people complain in the trailer parks that big devopers are coming in, and building condo's and townhomes. They get kicked out of the trailer parks and can't rent. See, they only pay $400 a month or $500. They can't afford to rent anything down here and they either go homeless or leave altogether.

Then there are just others that want out. It's so crowded. Next time you have to drive 13 miles...and it takes you two hrs...then you will wonder why people are moving to Tenn. That and much of the population in Dade county can't speak English. Seriouly! Even in the hospitals! I'd rather be in Tennessee anyday and have a doctor that spoke English than get stuck in an ER room with a man that can't understand a word I'm saying! I thank God that only happened once, but um, you can understand why people are leaving Florida for Tennessee.

And it get's better. Now imagine teachers and nurses can't afford to live in S. Florida....so they move!

Well, the schools are too cheap to pay a teacher what their worth. So, they find teachers from Puerto Rico to teach your kids.

They are bringing in people from other countries to teach in the public schools. Sorry, I want a person who was raised in America to teach my kids. Unless, it's Spanish or a foreign language.

I like Tennessee becaue the people speak English...even in the emergency rooms!

I like Tennessee because I can call up my medical insurer and they will actually be able to communicate with me! I will not have to try to interrupt every other sentence asking, "What the heck did you say?" That's important when you have to talk to somebody regarding your medical insurance. Try doing that with somebody that speaks mostly Spanish and a few phrases in English.

I like Tennessee because the kids will be taught by an American! Not by a foreigner whose second language is English!

I like Tennessee because I don't have to wait in ten hr. gas lines and have senior citiznes trying to pick fights with everybody in the line. Then, after the senior citizen cut into the gas line, right in front of you...and tells you and everybody else off, you pull up, only to find the gas station just ran out of gas. Your on empty (cause you waited in the heat for hrs. on that line) and beg people to sell you an eighth of a gallon of gas, just so you can make it home. Everybody else ahead of you is filling up their gas cans and tanks...and wouldn't sell you a drop of gas, even if you were pregnant and needed to be rushed to the hospital. I wasn't pregnant at the time...but it's a true story. I was in near tears begging people to buy just an eighth of a gallon....nobody would do it...even for a younger woman, all alone. That's when I made the decision - I want out!

I like Tennessee because I don't have to drink warm water and take cold showers. Try doing that down here after a Hurricane here in S. Florida!

I like Tennessee because they don't try to rip people off and charge them $400 a ticket to see a show. Literally, I checked concerts in most of America. The most expensive tickets are in S. Florida...and people are stupid enough to pay it! Go to Orlando or Atlanta...ticket prices for the same show are much less!

I like Tennessee because your property taxes and homeowners insurance can possibly be up to 80% less. The car insurance is about half price, too!

Should I go on?....

I lived in Florida for 7 LONG years, on Pensacola Beach/Gulf Breeze. Had every cousin that I hardly EVER talk to have the sudden "urge" to visit me (and of course, stay with me). What I found that I didn't like about Florida was the fireants (small thing I know), because I couldn't walk barefooted outside like I've always done in my childhood days in Tennessee...I didn't like the sand in every nook and cranny of my car, I didn't like the traffic on holidays when everyone from every other state came to the beach, and I didn't like the way the people you met never stayed put. You couldn't have a long-term neighbor because Pensacola was usually a military pitstop or the people were FROM somewhere else and never stayed.

The main thing I missed about my Tennessee is the green grass (not truck delivered sod, but REAL grass), the friendliness, and the mountains being a short drive away. A friend of mine lives in Homestead and her father is the only living relative she has left. He is in a retirement home here and she keeps trying to get him to come back to Miami with her. He only says "Tennessee is HOME...and I'm not leaving". Amen, Mr. Billy....amen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-05-2007, 10:27 AM
 
166 posts, read 905,731 times
Reputation: 46
Here's another:

I like Tennessee because you don't feel like your living in a Third World Country! You feel like your living in America!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top