U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2007, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,328 times

Advertisements

My husband and I and our 4 children plan on moving to Tennesse from Colorado this summer. We have thought about either Greeneville or Sweetwater/Madisonville. I would like any opinions on the two locations with respect to a young family (ages of kids 3 up to 11). Thanks for the help.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 03:13 PM

98 posts, read 349,395 times
Greeneville/Bulls Gap and Sweetwater are both small, rural,and old Southern Communities.
Both towns uphold and remain very active in the Christian-Southern Baptist ways of life. Religion preferance is an important issue.

With you and your husband being from another state,especially not a Southern State, you may have a challenging time trying to be accepted or to "fit in" by alot of the residents who have lived there there whole lives.

Moderator cut: racist remarks not allowed

Good luck and I hope I have not at all offended you with this reply.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:08 PM

2 posts, read 7,328 times
No offense taken. Thank you for the heads up on fitting in. We are Christian, just not southern baptist obviously. Do you know anymore about the areas?

Old 04-04-2007, 05:15 PM

7,281 posts, read 18,703,493 times
I disagree with Braves Fan here. Greeneville is a nice town with good schools, I would prefer them over Sweetwater schools. And Greeneville its self does not have an issue with new comers, now some little outer towns maybe but nothing serious and it just might take some time to get to know lots of people but there are plenty who are very nice to everyone. I moved to Greene County from elsewhere and did enjoy the 5 years I lived there.
As for the schools there the Greeneville City schools are much better than the County schools especially the high schools.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:22 PM

98 posts, read 349,395 times
I can agree with that. fair enough.

Old 04-05-2007, 09:40 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
I agree about Knoxville growing too fast. I am with you there. The chances of my staying in Knoxville are slim to none.

Your neck of the woods is gorgeous. I'm with you there, too. As a matter of fact, when we first came to the area we stayed our first night in the Sweetwater KOA campground. Beautiful country. By the way, you might want to keep that to yourself!

And I love Mayfield milk and ice cream, I wouldn't buy anything else. I'm with you there, too.

But the color of someone's skin? Doesn't matter to me. I've known nice white folks and nasty white folks. Same goes for blacks. Nice people and nasty people.

I'd love to surround myself with nice folks of any color. I wish it was a perfect world.

Old 07-04-2010, 07:22 AM

9 posts, read 13,821 times
Looking at this area as possible choice to relocate. My wife and I have made a few visits and expect to make additional visits in future. Would like to get some information and general feelings on a few issues. We have not found Catholic church, can someone help? Concerned about safety? and lastly, I will be retired, but still active and healthy looking for perhaps part time employment and or situations where I can donate my time?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:06 PM

820 posts, read 1,190,880 times
My son lives in Madisonville and seems to be happy there. This is the second time he has lived there so if he returned, it can't be all bad. I can't recall all the denominations of churches I have seen on our visits but I don't recall seeing Catholic. He and his wife & son go north on 411 alot to Maryville BWW and on to Knoxville for other places.

I wish he lived north of Knoxville but only because it would be closer to drive down to see him. LOL

Our grandson finished Kg this year and the curriculum was very academic. Other than being more academic in nature, I have not heard any major criticisms from him or his wife.

I really like TN and I think you can be happy anywhere you choose. I encourage you to visit and make sure you buy a season pass to Dollywood and Splash Country as you will not regret it at all.

Old 07-06-2010, 08:05 AM

942 posts, read 2,689,160 times
Which areas are you seeking info on, galoreed?

There is a Catholic church in Madisonville just off Old Tellico Hwy. You have several choices of going to one in Maryville, Athens, Le Noir City, Cleveland, Farragut, etc.

You can go to this website: The Diocese of Knoxville to view parishes in your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee