U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 05:39 AM

33,949 posts, read 32,392,016 times

Advertisements

I don't know if this is a Maryland program or a national program. But have you placed an ICE number in your cell phone?

For those that don't know what it is, when you enter a name and telephone number in your phone, you enter ICE before you enter the person's name to designate that person as the one you want contacted should something happen to you. Like:

ICE John Doe

ICE means IN CASE OF EMERGENCY to the police. If anything ever happens to you (seriously injured or death like in a bad traffic accident ) and the police find your cell phone, they'll scroll through your alphabetized contact list looking for ICE and call that person to tell them what happened to you and where (like hospital) you are being taken.

If you have kids, with cell phones, for example, you'd probably want the ICE designated number, on their phone, to be your number so the police wouldn't have to contact a bazillion people on the kid's contact list to let you know quickly that your kid was in a car accident and is on his way to Main Street Hospital's emergency room.

I was just wondering if ICE is a national program and you know about it in Tennessee or if it is just a Maryland program.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 06:01 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,802 times
I think it's a national program, as I've received that notification in my email - and I live in Pennsylvania. No matter what, it's a good thing to have ICE (in case of emergency). Otherwise, my #1 on the speed dial is HOME.

I wonder if there are any EMT's, police or hospital workers on this list who can tell us if this is true, and not an urban legend. ....hmmm, I'll have to go check on snopes.com.

Thanks for the heads up to those who don't know about it!

blessings, Shen

Old 04-05-2007, 06:02 AM

2,067 posts, read 5,195,208 times
I think I'm the only person left on the planet who doesn't have a cell phone , but even I've heard of this. I think it's being done nationwide.

Old 04-05-2007, 06:05 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,552,891 times
Anyone can do it. A couple of things to be aware of: The rumor that doing this can allow viruses to affect your phone is a myth, and the emergency people suggest that you do not rely solely on this for your information (in other words, also carry the necessary info in your wallet or purse).

Old 04-05-2007, 06:17 AM

2,071 posts, read 6,815,378 times
Agree that its national. Its promoted here in florida

Old 04-05-2007, 08:03 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,708,212 times
This is a very good idea but to be honest I have never heard about this here in TN. Neither through local news or email, Internet. Thanks for the great info as usual LauraC

Old 04-05-2007, 09:47 AM

328 posts, read 1,141,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbmouse View Post
This is a very good idea but to be honest I have never heard about this here in TN. Neither through local news or email, Internet. Thanks for the great info as usual LauraC
I got this through a forwarded email and I've put ICE on my cell. It helps to figure out who the contact person and saves time in case the police need to contact someone if you are incapacitated.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:41 AM

1,775 posts, read 7,204,904 times
there is also a program in FL (not sure if it's nation wide or not) but you can register up to 2 contact people on your drivers license too which would make a good back up to the cell phone ICE #.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:44 PM

20 posts, read 57,405 times
I am in Arkansas and have never heard of this - maybe just an east coast thing?. I think it is a wonderful idea, but wonder how many emergency people (EMT, police, fire dept.) know of it. Would be nice to have some input from an emergency person - they might be able to tell us if it is nationwide. And if it's not nationwide it should be, and this is one way to get it started. Post it in every state forum, soon enough many more people will know.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:49 PM

1,775 posts, read 7,204,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellefort View Post
there is also a program in FL (not sure if it's nation wide or not) but you can register up to 2 contact people on your drivers license too which would make a good back up to the cell phone ICE #.
this one about the drivers license was all over the news and emails for about a week in FL. I went to renew my drivers license and they even asked me if i had registered any names on my # and before i could answer, he had my # typed in already and he said "oh you already do" so i think the State of FL emergency people know about this as they were the ones promoting it down here. Would be nice to be nationwide though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or