U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 07:19 PM

11 posts, read 48,906 times

Advertisements

We live in the mountains of the Cumberland for the past two years. What's the common snake variety in the Cumberland Plateau? Timber Rattlers! Big Ones. We have cats and they will take on a snake every chance they get. In the many rock structures found on the mountains, the cats will get the snakes to come out and my husband gets his target practice in. I'm just glad he is a good shout and hasn't hit the cat. If the cat looses the battle my husband just says "Get another cat". Hope this helps. It is not easy living in the mountains, but we like it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 07:24 PM

3,454 posts, read 6,436,503 times
To put it in perspective, our 14 foot Burmese Python eats 10 lb rabbits. He's 14 feet long and as thick as my thigh (that's thick! lol). Our cats (8-10 lbs) walk past his cage constantly and he pays them no attention at all. But if we have a rabbit even in the next room he starts restlessly pacing in his cage. Rodents have a distinct smell and it drives snakes crazy with desire!

Anyway, I guess a snake that size could be a threat to a cat. But I doubt you'll find snakes that size in Tennessee.

A 9 foot Boa Constrictor eats jumbo rats or small bunnies (1-2 lbs).

Our 4 foot long Ball Python eats large rats (less than a pound).

Snakes won't kill food they can't eat; unless someone knows of a giant snake native to the area, your cats are safe from snakes, constrictors anyway.

Most local snakes are a couple feet long and eat mice, rats, squirrels, etc. I know some rat snakes and whatnot get longer but they still eat small stuff. Corn snakes and such are long, and eat a lot--but they eat many small prey, not one big one.

On the other hand, if you're talking about poisonous snakes (we have rattlers and copperheads up here), that's another ball game entirely. And the cats would be the least of your worries, if there were a lot of venomous snakes around...but I don't believe they're that common.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:37 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,916,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbkaren View Post
To put it in perspective, our 14 foot Burmese Python eats 10 lb rabbits. He's 14 feet long and as thick as my thigh (that's thick! lol). Our cats (8-10 lbs) walk past his cage constantly and he pays them no attention at all. But if we have a rabbit even in the next room he starts restlessly pacing in his cage. Rodents have a distinct smell and it drives snakes crazy with desire!

Anyway, I guess a snake that size could be a threat to a cat. But I doubt you'll find snakes that size in Tennessee.

A 9 foot Boa Constrictor eats jumbo rats or small bunnies (1-2 lbs).

Our 4 foot long Ball Python eats large rats (less than a pound).

Snakes won't kill food they can't eat; unless someone knows of a giant snake native to the area, your cats are safe from snakes, constrictors anyway.

Most local snakes are a couple feet long and eat mice, rats, squirrels, etc. I know some rat snakes and whatnot get longer but they still eat small stuff. Corn snakes and such are long, and eat a lot--but they eat many small prey, not one big one.

On the other hand, if you're talking about poisonous snakes (we have rattlers and copperheads up here), that's another ball game entirely. And the cats would be the least of your worries, if there were a lot of venomous snakes around...but I don't believe they're that common.

How about it guys? What snakes are common to TN. Especially middle southern TN, which is where I'm headed to.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:49 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,548,170 times
Poisonous? Mostly copperheads. In a few locations there are rattlers (I've never seen one in the wild in my entire life in upper Middle Tennessee) and water moccasins/cottonmouths. Water moccasins are my least favorite snakes of all . . . if I see a snake on the water, they can have it. "This pond ain't bigger enough for both of us . . . it's all yours!" ;-)

Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
Poisonous? Mostly copperheads. In a few locations there are rattlers (I've never seen one in the wild in my entire life in upper Middle Tennessee) and water moccasins/cottonmouths. Water moccasins are my least favorite snakes of all . . . if I see a snake on the water, they can have it. "This pond ain't bigger enough for both of us . . . it's all yours!" ;-)
I know what you mean about the water moccasins/cottonmouths. We have them here. When we were kids we used to fish for Horn Pout down on the tracks at night with a fire or a lantern. The light would draw them out of the water onto the tracks. They would also come up to the boat when we had a lantern lit. We would always be beating them over the head with oars and such. Never thought a thing about it. Grew up doing it. It was just what you did. Noooottttt so much today.

Old 04-06-2007, 11:40 AM

15,205 posts, read 10,306,931 times
Tennessee snakes

http://frogsandsnakes.homestead.com/snakes.html

Old 04-06-2007, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post

Thanks for the link Bones. This is great. I am now educated on Tennesse snakes. It is an excellent website for anyone wanting to know about TN snakes

Old 04-06-2007, 01:41 PM

2,071 posts, read 6,813,821 times
we have a cat that likes to eat snakes...is that going to be a problem?

Old 04-06-2007, 07:21 PM

64 posts, read 216,000 times
Thanks for posting the link, Bones. Those copperheads & rattlers sure are pretty, but I hope I don't see one close up & personal.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:32 PM

117 posts, read 432,890 times
Ok, but what about the spiders? Is their a website for the spiders that are in TN?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee