U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2007, 01:47 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,919,257 times

Advertisements

Question. We are getting ready to move to Tennesee and I have cats. I was told recently that there is a problem with snakes killing cats in Tennessee. Is this true. When we were down there I never saw a cat, only dogs. I can't leave without my cats they have been with me so long it would be like leaving the kids but I am concerned about this. My cats are indoor/outdoor cats. Any info or suggestions? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 01:50 PM

11,614 posts, read 31,815,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northcountrygirl View Post
Question. We are getting ready to move to Tennesee and I have cats. I was told recently that there is a problem with snakes killing cats in Tennessee. Is this true. When we were down there I never saw a cat, only dogs. I can't leave without my cats they have been with me so long it would be like leaving the kids but I am concerned about this. My cats are indoor/outdoor cats. Any info or suggestions? Thanks
I can honestly say that I have never heard of snakes killing cats. I suppose it happens, but I've never heard of it.

I have always had outdoor cats, and they have never had any problems. In fact, it's been quite the opposite; my cats routinely were the ones doing the killing! (It's one of the reasons I like cats!) That includes living in the middle of cities (Memphis and Knoxville) and living out in the country.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
I can honestly say that I have never heard of snakes killing cats. I suppose it happens, but I've never heard of it.

I have always had outdoor cats, and they have never had any problems. In fact, it's been quite the opposite; my cats routinely were the ones doing the killing! (It's one of the reasons I like cats!) That includes living in the middle of cities (Memphis and Knoxville) and living out in the country.
Thanks! I feel better. I was actually told this by a girl from Tennesse. I know what you mean about cats doing the killing. Until I raised my birdfeeders I had combination bird/cat feeders. My male tabby can jump higher than any cat I've ever seen. He likes to bring me little presents like field mice etc. He also likes to entertain himself by bringing in live chipmunks and lying around watching my husband chase them around the house trying to catch them.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:06 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
I've lived in Tennessee most of my life. I've never heard of a cat-killing snake problem, but, as JMT mentioned, I'm sure it has happened.

I think you can put that one out of mind.

I have a cat, by the way, but she's mostly an inside cat. My last cat was also an inside cat mostly but I let her out whenever she wanted to go out. I never worried about snakes. Mostly I worried about her trying to attack a squirrel.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
I've lived in Tennessee most of my life. I've never heard of a cat-killing snake problem, but, as JMT mentioned, I'm sure it has happened.

I think you can put that one out of mind.

I have a cat, by the way, but she's mostly an inside cat. My last cat was also an inside cat mostly but I let her out whenever she wanted to go out. I never worried about snakes. Mostly I worried about her trying to attack a squirrel.
Good to hear I'll just cross that one off my worry list! Thanks

Old 04-05-2007, 02:13 PM

5 posts, read 33,197 times
Try to find a place away from swamps and woods and inspect the yard for holes where snakes may hide and block these. Try not to have too many bushes especially around the yard and keep the lawn mowed down. You should be fine. My neighbors in Alabama had a dog that was fenced in the back yard mostly and they told me they did all this to prevent snake problems. He was a bog rottweiler though and for all I care, he could have eaten an anaconda whole.

Old 04-05-2007, 02:41 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,518,176 times
Here in SW PA, we've got blacksnakes, some rattlers, water-snakes and garter snakes. I've lived out in the country most of my life, and am used to finding snakes in the yard. Blacksnakes, that is, who've come up from the barn or fields. We'd just hold their heads down with a broom, grab them behind the head, and carry them back down to the barn where they do good by taking care of the vermin. Rattlers, I respectfully avoid when I run into them, which isn't often, only twice in 10 years.

What's the common snake variety in the Cumberland Plateau?

blessings, Shen

Old 04-05-2007, 03:01 PM

117 posts, read 433,278 times
What about spider problems, like the brown recluse or black widow, has anyone had pets get bitten by these? Has anyone had a spider problem? I hate spiders, but I love my cats and I want to make sure they don't make any new friends with these! LOL, even though they would probably eat them for a snack!

Old 04-05-2007, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharathps View Post
Try to find a place away from swamps and woods and inspect the yard for holes where snakes may hide and block these. Try not to have too many bushes especially around the yard and keep the lawn mowed down. You should be fine. My neighbors in Alabama had a dog that was fenced in the back yard mostly and they told me they did all this to prevent snake problems. He was a bog rottweiler though and for all I care, he could have eaten an anaconda whole.

Thanks, We've got snakes up here too even some Timber rattlers. I've been around snakes all my life so they don't bother me much. I leave them alone and they leave me alone. We keep the grass mowed for quite a distance around the house for just that reason. We don't have any that are the size or the aggressiveness to eat cats though!!! I'm kinda glad to hear that this is not common.

Old 04-05-2007, 07:41 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,565,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen1972 View Post
What about spider problems, like the brown recluse or black widow, has anyone had pets get bitten by these? Has anyone had a spider problem? I hate spiders, but I love my cats and I want to make sure they don't make any new friends with these! LOL, even though they would probably eat them for a snack!
Black Widows tend to like places "outside" that stay dark, say a shed that's closed up all the time or a crawl space. Brown Recluses do come inside. For some reason they seem to like finding places in closets in unused clothes like an old pair of shoes that aren't worn, and that sort of thing.

I don't know that either one of these are a big problem for pets.

I have been biten by a brown recluse. The bite area left an indention (I guess the venom killed the flesh underneath), but it eventually grew back.

Just use a few reasonable precautions and you'll be fine. Mainly, check things and areas that aren't used very much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee