U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2007, 08:40 AM

6,290 posts, read 20,552,891 times

Advertisements

I go to a Publix Supermarket in Bellevue. They have a separate seafood section. I don't remember exactly but it seems like there's at least a dozen kinds of fresh fish, plus clams, crab legs and whatnot.

There used to be a great seafood restaurant in Nashville called L&N, but, alas, it's no longer there. Their menu was more like what you might expect to find along the coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 08:46 AM

22,533 posts, read 46,084,101 times
Fresh Market is a splurge, but if you really have a taste for something, it is good to know that it is there. I can't say enough about Kroger's.

And you'll start to find your stuff in the oddest places.

My husband hasn't found REAL Giardiniera Sauce in 25 years, since he left Chicago. You use it for Italian Beef. Guess what? We have it now! FOOD CITY carries it!

Old 04-27-2007, 08:55 AM

2,349 posts, read 9,496,856 times
Speaking of catfish I had some yesterday! Yum! Here's a forum where ppl are CRAZY about catfish. Over 5k registered users lol Heck, I just like to eat it not talk about it

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/

Here's an absolutely hilarious and riveting PBS type show:

http://www.okienoodling.com/film/ (broken link)

If you haven't seen it, you're missing something!

Last edited by jkmewright; 04-27-2007 at 08:58 AM.. Reason: more fishy stuff

Old 04-27-2007, 09:04 AM

Funny, I saw freshwater shrimp (prawns) being harvested in Tennessee one time. I wish the people who raise them well, but I'm not sure I want to eat them after that. They're probably alright, it just struck me as somewhat "unappetizing".

Old 04-27-2007, 10:02 AM

13,905 posts, read 2,917,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
Speaking of catfish I had some yesterday! Yum! Here's a forum where ppl are CRAZY about catfish. Over 5k registered users lol Heck, I just like to eat it not talk about it

http://www.planetcatfish.com/forum/

Here's an absolutely hilarious and riveting PBS type show:

http://www.okienoodling.com/film/ (broken link)

If you haven't seen it, you're missing something!
Excellent sites! We have a smaller version of fish up here called a "horned pout". When I first read about catfish and how large they can get I was stunned. I think the biggest horned pout caught around where I grew up was 12" long and that was big. I have been fascinated by the subject of catfish ever since. I think we discussed on here about how big they get but I just can't wrap my head around the size. Something like an average weight of 40lbs or something? Is that right? As a matter of fact if anybody has catfish pictures I would love to see them. You can tell I"m stunned because everytime the subject comes up it's "do they really get that big". That's why I'm begging for pictures

Old 04-27-2007, 12:14 PM

6,486 posts, read 13,786,111 times
Quote:
We do have a Best Buy in Knoxville. It's clear on the other side of town so I hardly ever go. But I do like it.
Hmm, isn't it off Cedar Bluff? If so, I think I've been there a couple times. I do love their music selections there... I need to go back to hunt for some more obscure titles...

Old 04-28-2007, 07:47 PM

381 posts, read 1,525,295 times
Catfish, anyone???

I just went to Google pictures and searched "catfish."

Old 04-28-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Catfish, anyone???

I just went to Google pictures and searched "catfish."
Thank you, Thank you. I wouldn't have belived it if I weren't seeing it with my own eyes. I'm still having a hard time believeing it. Thank you for taking the time to show me these. I wish I had a picture of a Horned Pout so you could have a good laugh Thanks again

Old 04-29-2007, 06:20 AM

When you come to Nashville, northcountry, come over to the lake at MetroCenter. Bring some bread. You can feed the catfish and the turtles (if you can keep the ducks away). They'll almost eat it out of your hand.

Old 04-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleycat View Post
When you come to Nashville, northcountry, come over to the lake at MetroCenter. Bring some bread. You can feed the catfish and the turtles (if you can keep the ducks away). They'll almost eat it out of your hand.
Thank you alleycat. I will be sure too! I'm just fascinated by them for some reason. I'm sure your used to them down there but we don't have a fresh water fish up here that comes anywhere close to them in size. Our Horned Pout look just like them but alot smaller. I guess the cold weather must stunt there growth. The Horned Pout though has a long protrusion on their heads (hence the name). They are incredibly sharp and you have to learn how to hold them to keep from getting stung. My sister would never take them off the hook. She would just fling them on the ground and yank the hook out of their mouths. Good for a laugh When I first tasted catfish I expected it to taste like Horned Pout but I actually found it to be a lighter, sweeter taste. Much to my surprise, I actually found fresh catfish at the supermarket this weekend. Guess what's for dinner?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or