U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2007, 07:39 PM

64 posts, read 269,862 times

Advertisements

I drink the coke down alittle, then put the whole bag in. It makes both taste better, the nuts and coke. Don't put the coke in a glass and eat with a spoon. Thats cheating. You gotta put the nuts in the bottle.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 AM

5,985 posts, read 3,640,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shenandoah View Post
ewwww!

Well, as long as they have BBQ sauce on them, anything would taste good!

.....well, almost anything....

I've had chocolate covered ants. And worms are supposed to be a high protein food. But, I think that I'll pass when that particular plate gets passed around!

I'll stick around for the Grainger Tomatoes tho!

blessings, Shen
Hello, Shen. You reminded me of something that can be either painful or humerous depending on your point of view. I've never met a pit bull dog that didn't think my leg was covered with barbecue sauce.

Old 05-13-2007, 12:10 PM

5,985 posts, read 3,640,122 times
Default Tennessee Foods

Is anyone here familiar with rhubarb? It grew wild near my childhood home. My mother would cook the stalks to make pudding. I don't think the leaves are edible. Some of our neighbors grew it in their gardens for pies and jellies. It is so sour (if that is a strong enough word) that a lot of sweetening was needed to make it edible. I've also heard of the stalks being pickled. Recently I've seen rhubarb-apple pies in stores.

Old 05-13-2007, 01:08 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
Rhubarb grows in New England. Rhubarb pie is a big thing. Personally, I hate the stuff.

Old 05-13-2007, 05:03 PM

13,905 posts, read 2,916,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner View Post
Is anyone here familiar with rhubarb? It grew wild near my childhood home. My mother would cook the stalks to make pudding. I don't think the leaves are edible. Some of our neighbors grew it in their gardens for pies and jellies. It is so sour (if that is a strong enough word) that a lot of sweetening was needed to make it edible. I've also heard of the stalks being pickled. Recently I've seen rhubarb-apple pies in stores.
Hi Ridgerunner! Rhubarb is quite common up here. I have some growing in my backyard. The leaves are not edible. My favorite way to eat Rhubarb is in a Strawberry Rhubarb pie. It is incredibly sour but when mixed with strawberries and sweetner has a wonderful taste. I have never had it in a pudding but have picked it from the garden and eaten raw with sugar on it. We make jelly from it too but also mix it with strawberries. It is a wonderful combination.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:53 AM

15 posts, read 50,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hiknapster View Post
I think you can get crappie around Knoxville, too, perhaps Norris Lake. I wonder why they don't sell it in the restaurants?
I don't know if this is still the case, but 20 years ago or so there was a lot of uproar about PCB's in the water in Douglas Lake and word was that eating fish from there should be approached with caution. The stuff came from a paper mill way upstream in NC.
That might have something to do with local fish not being in the stores or restaurants. Plus, I don't know if there are many commercial fishermen in the area, so it could be simply that nobody's out there catchin' 'em on a regular basis!

Old 05-20-2007, 10:47 AM

3,061 posts, read 7,296,573 times
I have rhubarb growing in my backyard and hate the stuff. Its a pity that it goes to waste though.

Old 05-20-2007, 12:28 PM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,516,273 times
I LOVE Strawberry/Rhubarb pie! My mom used to make a jelly from it too. Hiknapster - Glad to hear that the company I work for now is helping you out! They've got great 'feel good' commercials on tv now, with people helping one another out. I like it there - really one of the best companies I've ever worked for. Everyone from the top down is helpful, and unlike the previous ins company I worked for, this one really does promote from within, and helps the employees to grow in their fields. My boss has bent over backwards to help me train, since the trainer they were using just was not a good fit with me - nothing - NOTHING was sinking in - so they paired me up with someone else, who as it happens, was a trainer at my former company - and it's a good match. He's slower, more patient, going thru the process and stopping to show me how he got there, and what he's looking for. I was ready to walk out before and quit! But, now, I'm enjoying it. So far.... LOL! Hopefully, we'll find a place close enough to commute, and hopefully I'll be able to transfer to the office (most likely) in Knoxville. I've been checking out Crab Orchard and Spring City areas. Not quite as remote as I'd like, but we've got to think practically for now, for both myself and hubby's jobs. We'll see!

blessings, Shen

Old 05-20-2007, 01:35 PM

22,533 posts, read 46,067,135 times
I think Liberty Mutual is based out of Worcester, Mass., right? I had a couple of relatives that worked there. I use to work at an insurance company in Mass. for many years.

Liberty Mutual is wonderful!

Wow. Both of those towns are about one hour away from Knoxville. I may end up having to move way out, too.

Old 05-20-2007, 01:52 PM

353 posts, read 353,386 times
Sweet tea; sweet tea with lemon; sweet tea with lime; extra sweet tea; not-so-sweet tea;

Um, did I miss any?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or