U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2007, 01:54 PM

6,290 posts, read 20,559,371 times

Advertisements

Sweet tea with mint.
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2007, 08:14 AM

7,281 posts, read 18,714,987 times
Also 1/2 and 1/2 tea. It is half sweet and half unsweet tea. I can go into any restaurant or fast food place around here and ask for 1/2 and 1/2, they always give me the tea.....I am waiting for one day some one to bring out some coffee creamer though hehehehehe
I love the sweet tea (especially Pal's peachy tea) but it is just TOO sweet for me. :

Old 05-21-2007, 10:19 PM

185 posts, read 619,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frbenson View Post
I remember, years ago, eating at a family-style catfish restaurant in...or around...Springfield, Tn. There were huge bowls of fried catfish, hush puppies, cole slaw, mashed potatoes, green beans, collard greens, fried corn, fried okra, biscuits, and pitchers of sweet iced-tea. When a bowl was emptied, it was replaced with another, full-up...an unending banquet of the best food I've ever eaten. I've been working overseas for a number of years, but will be returning back home to Tennessee this summer. Are there any readers who might have an idea of the restaurant I'm referring to? Or of a similar one, anywhere from Nashville, east to the Crossville area. (During my visits home, I've had delicious catfish meals at Cracker Barrell but, as good as they were, they don't compare to that "to-die-for meal" I had at that catfish restaurant.) I'd sure love to re-create that dining experience at least once before I die!
I remember the place you are speaking of. I have lived in the Springfied area almost 40 years now. It was call PJ's. It was owned and operated by a man and his wife. We used to eat there a lot and the catfish was delicious. Unfortunely PJ's wife passed away seveal years ago with cancer and PJ shot himself a year after that. It was said that he just didn't have the will to live after she died. We have a place call Catfish House and the food is very good there, but it doesn't have the homey atmosphere that PJ's had. Really I haven't found any place that was as friendly.

Old 05-21-2007, 10:30 PM

185 posts, read 619,097 times
Sweet tea sweet tea oh how I love my sweet tea. I make it by the gallon. I bring my water to a boil, turn off the stove, then drop 4 family size tea bags in the water for about an hour. I then put about a quart of water in my picther, add 2 cups of splenda, pour the tea in and finish filling pitcher with cold water. If you rather use sugar then disolve in boiling water before adding tea bags. I like left over tea better than fresh. I don't like lemon, lime or mint in my tea just plain sweet tea.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainna View Post
I remember the place you are speaking of. I have lived in the Springfied area almost 40 years now. It was call PJ's. It was owned and operated by a man and his wife. We used to eat there a lot and the catfish was delicious. Unfortunely PJ's wife passed away seveal years ago with cancer and PJ shot himself a year after that. It was said that he just didn't have the will to live after she died. We have a place call Catfish House and the food is very good there, but it doesn't have the homey atmosphere that PJ's had. Really I haven't found any place that was as friendly.
There used to be a catfish place near Ashland City on the other side of the river that was pretty good. There's also one in Clarksville that my mother and her friends all go to; but that would be a long drive for you since it's on the road to Dickson.

Old 05-23-2007, 12:08 AM

Location: Milky Way Galaxy,Earth,Northern Hemisphere,North America,USA,Pennsyltucky
793 posts, read 2,517,520 times
I used to make my own sweet tea all the time, but haven't for awhile. I'd put about a quart of water on to boil, along with a dozen tea bags. Bring it to a boil, shut off the heat and let it steep for awhile. Then, I'd put it in a gallon jug, along with one cup of sugar, and fill up the jug with cold water, put in the fridge to cool the rest of the way. I usually don't have lemon or lime, so just have it good old plain sweet tea.

Anymore, I'll just buy the powdered ice tea mix, but you're right, there's nothing to beat home made iced sweet tea!

blessings, Shen

Old 06-02-2007, 01:39 AM

11 posts, read 19,923 times
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I googled Tenn and food for my daughter's state report. She had to bring in food from her state and we read a lot of the conversations here. We wanted to thank you for all the helpful info. We made a pecan pie and sweet tea to take in. They were a hit and went really fast. I have always hated ice tea, but I love sweet tea! Thanks! By the way, what are hushpuppies? Thanks, WC8

Old 06-02-2007, 01:40 AM

11 posts, read 19,923 times
Oh, and I loved the pictures of the huge catfish!
Amazing, WC8

Old 06-02-2007, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoaster8 View Post
Hi, I'm new to this forum. I googled Tenn and food for my daughter's state report. She had to bring in food from her state and we read a lot of the conversations here. We wanted to thank you for all the helpful info. We made a pecan pie and sweet tea to take in. They were a hit and went really fast. I have always hated ice tea, but I love sweet tea! Thanks! By the way, what are hushpuppies? Thanks, WC8
Hushpuppies are a mixture of cornmeal batter (cornmeal, flour, milk, eggs, salt and pepper) rolled into a ball and fried, generally in the same oil that's used to fry fish. They're a little smaller than a golf ball and are slightly crispy on the outside, soft on the inside. They're mostly just served with fish. I'm guessing they orginated with using the leftover cornmeal that is used to bread fish in.

I like pecan pie too, but it's so rich I have to have half a gallon of milk to go with it.

Old 06-02-2007, 09:51 AM

4,739 posts, read 7,404,897 times
When I first moved here I went to what they call family style restaraunts and fried Bologna was on several menus. That still kills me...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or